U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 08:04 AM

927 posts, read 1,209,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared422 View Post
Did San Antonio have trouble selling out those games? I seem to recall Tom Benson Auto and/or AT&T having to buy tickets (and give them away for free) to ensure a sellout for the Falcons game.

I still think the most feasible city for an NFL team to go to is Los Angeles. I know the previous two teams didn't work out well, but if done right (a NEW world-class stadium would go a long way), they could be very successful.
Did mighty Los Angeles with all of its millions have trouble filling the coliseum for games when the Raiders played there? From what I understand sellouts were rare at that place.

Fact of the matter is that Los Angeles is not a pro football town. If it were they would have found a way not to lose not one but three NFL franchises. That's a poor record to say the least. No, it's time for some new cities to have a chance at having a team. And San Antonio, as one of the rising stars of the Southwest, is the perfect place for a franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 10:07 PM

499 posts, read 679,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Was it like that 10 years ago? Dallas and Houston are decent teams but the Spurs have CONSISTENTLY been good since David Robinson was on the team.People like winners and the Spurs are proven champions and alot more consistent then the other two from Texas.
I agree with your statement, that's the point if SA were to get an NFL team and they are consistent winners the fan base in south Texas would grow. I know that's a big if. I don't like or dislike the cowboys but I don't reside in the Metroplex either it's not my team. Years ago in the Tom Landry days everyone in SA was a cowboy fan, which has changed some what. I thought I would never hear negative comments about the cowboys but with all the crap that has gone on with some of the players, and owners in recent years that has changed. We have been lucky with the Spurs and not had any controversy with the players except Dennis Rodman and he was short lived and most glad to see him go.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:06 AM

41 posts, read 127,613 times
Default MT football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And go one step further, proposing Great Falls, Montana--for the very excellent reason that there isn't an NFL team within many, many miles of that part of the country.
I think an NFL team could possibly survive in Montana if it were central enough in the state. Many people here travel hours for college football games. It's possible that with the draw of Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Helena, Missoula, etc., Great Falls could possibly be a good place to put a team. I'm sure there would be a draw from Idaho, Wyoming, and the Dakotas, too. Not that any of those states have much of a population either, though.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,713 times
Montana would not be able to support any pro team at all. They do not have enough people.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,713 times
Oklahoma City would be a great place for a pro football franchise. Though going to a Sooners game is just as big of a deal with a stadium that seats more than most pro team stadiums at a max capacity of 82,000

Old 08-23-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanemagics View Post
Oklahoma City would be a great place for a pro football franchise. Though going to a Sooners game is just as big of a deal with a stadium that seats more than most pro team stadiums at a max capacity of 82,000
I concur. In fact San Antonio and Oklahoma City would be two terrific spots for NFL teams and forget Los Angeles.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:42 AM

61 posts, read 206,867 times
LMAO at an NFL team in OKC or San Antonio. Texas doesn't need any more teams. And OKC is a Sooner town would never embrace an NFL squad.

There really isn't room for expansion in the NFL anyway, talent is already spread thin.

The only logical choices would be for certain teams to move, but that probably won't happen. The only team that I could have seen moving in the foreseable future were Arizona before they got a new stadium. The Saints would be another candidate even that though seems unlikely as they still garner major support in NOLA. Buffalo could be an option to relocate.

Any area wanting to support a new NFL team is going to have to have a metro population of at least 1.5 mill(sans green bay). So cities like Omaha/Council Bluffs are cutting it close in terms of population, and places like Wichita Kansas are no where close. However I think that strong NCAA allegiance makes it tougher to support a major league team. Contrary to what others have posted I believe that the college team takes precidant over the NFL team in cities where the college team has any history of success. Notice most major college teams(BCS) have decidley larger stadiums than NFL.

IMHO, a struggling franchise would have to relocate to a new city. I don't believe any city without a current team boasts enough to take a team from an existing city. That includes Los Angeles.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:27 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicname View Post
LMAO at an NFL team in OKC or San Antonio. Texas doesn't need any more teams. And OKC is a Sooner town would never embrace an NFL squad.

There really isn't room for expansion in the NFL anyway, talent is already spread thin.

The only logical choices would be for certain teams to move, but that probably won't happen. The only team that I could have seen moving in the foreseable future were Arizona before they got a new stadium. The Saints would be another candidate even that though seems unlikely as they still garner major support in NOLA. Buffalo could be an option to relocate.

Any area wanting to support a new NFL team is going to have to have a metro population of at least 1.5 mill(sans green bay). So cities like Omaha/Council Bluffs are cutting it close in terms of population, and places like Wichita Kansas are no where close. However I think that strong NCAA allegiance makes it tougher to support a major league team. Contrary to what others have posted I believe that the college team takes precidant over the NFL team in cities where the college team has any history of success. Notice most major college teams(BCS) have decidley larger stadiums than NFL.

IMHO, a struggling franchise would have to relocate to a new city. I don't believe any city without a current team boasts enough to take a team from an existing city. That includes Los Angeles.
LMAO at OKC gettig a team, maybe, but NOT San Antone. I believe S.A. has more of a chance of getting a team than anyone else.
More than Toronto.
ALOT more than L.A., and other cities.

I don't think the NFL should expand (at least, not now anyway), but chances are a team will move...... my bet's on Jacksonville, eventhough I hope they don't.

... and enough with this whole "Texas doesn't need anymore teams" bit. Money talks, and if it works, it works!

Old 08-24-2009, 12:07 PM

8,341 posts, read 14,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliottmew View Post
I think an NFL team could possibly survive in Montana if it were central enough in the state. Many people here travel hours for college football games. It's possible that with the draw of Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Helena, Missoula, etc., Great Falls could possibly be a good place to put a team. I'm sure there would be a draw from Idaho, Wyoming, and the Dakotas, too. Not that any of those states have much of a population either, though.
I hope this is tounge in cheek.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicname View Post

You say Texas doesn't need another team. Why is that? California and Florida have three teams each. Would you say they have too many teams? Count on this though. San Antonio will be getting a team soon. It's in the cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or