U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 PM

16,525 posts, read 20,969,751 times

Advertisements

With Boise and Albuquerque it certainly is population. Though I have seen a bunch of growth lately, particularly Boise. I was through there a couple months ago and I was amazed how Nampa, West Boise, and Meridian have built up. Albuquerque's loyalty is split between Cowboy and Bronco fans. I have friends in the Albuquerque area. Things aren't gangbusters economy wise though like San Antonio, but it's a darn sign better than SOME parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 12:28 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
LA has twice that number and still doesn't have an NFL team and I don't think they deserve one either
I'm not sure why anyone would think that L.A. doesn't "deserve" an NFL team. Is L.A. on punishment or something?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:42 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,745,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would think that L.A. doesn't "deserve" an NFL team. Is L.A. on punishment or something?

Saying a city deserves or does not deserve a team is dumb. Deserving has nothing to do with having an NFL team play in your city.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:45 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Saying a city deserves or does not deserve a team is dumb. Deserving has nothing to do with having an NFL team play in your city.
This is just my two cents, but just say that to New Orleans and Detroit.....

To me, there are just some towns out there who have too much. So much, that if they add anything, they wont appreciate it as much as some other town would. And there are towns that have been through so much destruction, sports seems to be the best medicine.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:10 AM

14 posts, read 19,310 times
[quote=Canes2006Champs;5153949]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm just curious, but if your interested, would you give me a list of cities that should have NFL teams in order from most deserving to least? Here's mine:

1. San Antonio-Sure why not, I've heard Jerry Jones say he'd be okay with a team here. The only problem is the Alamodome may be too small
2. L.A.-It'll happen eventually
3. Las Vegas-No
4. (the only non-American city that actually deserves one) TorontoThe Bills will play a few games there, otherwise I say no.
5. Columbus, OH-They have a team, the Buckeyes
6. AustinWould have to compete with the Longhorns
7. Louisville,KY-Too close to Indy and Cincy, the NBA would be a better fit here
8. Orlando, FLToo close to Tampa and Jacksonville
9. Portland, ORYes, although Seattle may have something to say about this
10. Oklahoma CityCant see it happening, Oklahoma is College Football country
11. any other American towns without one.Albuquerque? Omaha?(although Kansas City may not let this happen),
What do you think?

If the Jaguars do move, I'd like to see them in San Antonio, get a Rivarly with Houston, and keep them in the AFC south.I agree the league has enough teams, but some teams future is in doubt.

Oklahoma City or Tulsa would be much more qualified candidates for an NFL team than Omaha, Nebraska even with our Sooners and Cowboys fans.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:23 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,653,153 times
I do find it ironic that the LA fans scream about Georgia Frontierre stealing the Rams, when LA stole the Dodgers from Brooklyn. If we have to give back the Rams, it's only fair that LA and SF give back the Dodgers and Giants. If a team is in a city for 40 years, and that means they have to stay there, there's going to be a lot of teams in all sports (especially baseball) moving around.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:47 AM

927 posts, read 1,209,240 times
[quote=coydiddy;12933036]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

Oklahoma City or Tulsa would be much more qualified candidates for an NFL team than Omaha, Nebraska even with our Sooners and Cowboys fans.
I don't know if Oklahoma City could support both the Thunder and an NFL team. Then again maybe it could. I'd give the nod to San Antonio however. As has been mentioned before on here the economy is robust and expanding at a rapid rate as well. The population and corporate base is here with better than 2.1 million people and numerous Fortune 500 companies. And this is before the next census.

But most importantly fans here are extremely loyal. They've supported the Spurs through thick and thin for over 35 years and would certainly embrace a local NFL club.

UTSA will be starting a football program next year which is already gaining much support locally. So I think an NFL team would fit in nicely with that mix.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,031 times
Montreal is most ripe at this time for an NFL team to be developed here...either by move or new franchise. A 50,000 seat stadium would most definitely fill-out every game as long as the stadium is within 3 kms of the downtown core...hello there GRiffintown. Maybe annex the stadium to a new permanent Cirque du Soleil complex...ideas that make you salivate!

Old 04-05-2010, 03:34 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,426,519 times
a 50,000 stadium would be inadequate .... last year only 3 teams averaged fewer fans

you really need to be able to seat at least 63,000 to play in the NFL ....... 11 teams last year averaged over 70,000 per game

Old 04-06-2010, 07:25 AM

19,377 posts, read 17,481,461 times
LA. That they don't have a team is bizarre and should be a major embarrassment to the city. NC and Tennessee have teams. NC doesn't even have a major league baseball team and their football fan support is marginal at best. Its all college basketball and NASCAR. NJ doesn't even have a major league baseball team, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or