U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
JJG JJG started this thread
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,250 posts, read 19,240,598 times
Reputation: 7010

Advertisements

Look, San Antonio's metro area may not be that big, but it's not as small as some of you make it out to be.

And btw, that was 11 markets that are smaller than San Antonio's (I forgot about the Raleigh Triangle).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2010, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,852,705 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
Completely wrong. If London received an NFL team people from all over the United Kingdom, Ireland and Europe would go to games. Also, tons of Americans would hang out in London for a week and be sure to take in a game while there, including myself.

The people of Austin will drive to see some games. This is already proven to be true, look at the Spurs.



SMH, what is the big deal with San Antonio?

SA is a small city and is not ready for a NFL team. The only way they will meet the requirements for population is to INCLUDE Austin into their marketing plan to the league.
City proper- SA is the 7th largest city in the country.
However, the metro area is smaller than other cities, but Buffalo, Greenbay, Jacksonville, and Cincinnati. Not to mention that SA is far more influential to west Texas and South Texas, compared to Dallas and Houston. Plus it can reach fans in New Mexico. Texas and New Mexico share a very close relationship.

I think it'll be a very successful team in the league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 AM
 
324 posts, read 584,875 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
. . . . .

Ok.

First off, we've seen an American football team in London during that experiment we called "NFL Europe". It didn't last too long, because all of Europe is more fixed on soccer. Just ask most Brits how they feel about our football and they'll go on a 3 hour lecture about why their football is better than our football.

And the city of San Antonio is NOT small... Wait, I forgot. You're counting the metro area, right? Still, there are 10 metro areas that are smaller than San Antonio's and they all have at least one of The Big Four in their area (half of them with NFL). San Antonio was ready for the NFL back in '94, which is what the Alamodome was built for in the first place.

And I stick by that.
You are talking to someone from Europe.

Yes, the key is they have ONE. San Antonio already has their one with the Spurs. Also, the metro areas smaller than SA are failing. I am assuming Buffalo, Raleigh and Jacksonville are three out of the ten. Guess what? They all have low attendance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Look, San Antonio's metro area may not be that big, but it's not as small as some of you make it out to be.

And btw, that was 11 markets that are smaller than San Antonio's (I forgot about the Raleigh Triangle).
Yes, but there is more information. The only reason why Raleigh got an NHL team is because the Carolina Hurricanes serve Charlotte too. Charlotte will never receive an NHL.

The same way Austin will never receive an NBA team because they share one with SA. Same concept with the Orlando Magic sharing a team with Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
City proper- SA is the 7th largest city in the country.
However, the metro area is smaller than other cities, but Buffalo, Greenbay, Jacksonville, and Cincinnati. Not to mention that SA is far more influential to west Texas and South Texas, compared to Dallas and Houston. Plus it can reach fans in New Mexico. Texas and New Mexico share a very close relationship.

I think it'll be a very successful team in the league.
Two out of the four metro areas bolded are looking into moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 10:47 AM
JJG JJG started this thread
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,250 posts, read 19,240,598 times
Reputation: 7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
You are talking to someone from Europe.

Yes, the key is they have ONE. San Antonio already has their one with the Spurs. Also, the metro areas smaller than SA are failing. I am assuming Buffalo, Raleigh and Jacksonville are three out of the ten. Guess what? They all have low attendance.



Yes, but there is more information. The only reason why Raleigh got an NHL team is because the Carolina Hurricanes serve Charlotte too. Charlotte will never receive an NHL.

The same way Austin will never receive an NBA team because they share one with SA. Same concept with the Orlando Magic sharing a team with Tampa.


You're ONE out of many other Europeans that I've either met, talked to, or chat with. I doubt that the support would be tha great for NFL in England.
Those cities attendance levels are low because (1) the economy sucks and (2) their teams suck just as bad as the economy (sorry to any Bills, Hurricanes, and Jags fans).

And no one is saying Austin will receive an NBA team or even want one in their city. Austin is a college town. Period. The only pro sports team they'll support are teams in other cities.

And BTW, San Antonio has TWO major sports teams. Sure the other is a WNBA team, but it still counts. I'm sure San Antonio, along with Austin, West and Southwest Texas can hold down an NFL franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,769,819 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
I believe London would be a perfect spot. The United Kingdom has 62,041,708 million people. People from all over The UK will travel to London to see a game.

Also, let's not forget this is LONDON. I could see Americans and people from all over the world going to see an NFL and hanging out in London for a week.

I think you are strongly mistaken. A team in London would go well for the first 3-5 years, maybe. After the novelty wears off, the attendance would fall and the team would fold or move. (See: NFL Europe)

Europeans cannot stand the stoppages that take place in the games. I have tried to watch football games with people from Europe that love sports and they can't do it.

When they show football games in Europe, they have to show 30 minute capsules. They show every play, including highlights of big plays in 30 minutes without commercials.

They arent going to watch a sport that takes 3 hours and 15 minutes to play when there is only 12-13 minutes of actual action.

Not to mention the cost of traveling a team back and forth to Europe would be extremely costly.

NFL would never be "global". It's American sport that will have nominal interest in the rest of the world. They have other, similar sports they follow elsewhere.

The UK has Gaelic football, their is rugby, and Aussie rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,769,819 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
If the Jaguars move anywhere besides L.A., it WILL be San Antonio.

Why do you say that?

I think I have said this about a million times in this thread and others but many of you do not seem to understand:

THE OWNERS ARE ALL THAT MATTERS.

The owners own and run the teams. First, there has to be an owner wanting to put a team in a city. Second, the owner has to purchase an existing team. Third, the other owners and the league have to approve the move.

The city doesnt matter, the fans dont matter, deserving doesnt matter, what city is best doesnt matter. The only thing about a city that will likely come into play is the stadium and other cities willingness to help maintain one or get one built.

It all comes down to a qualified ownership obtaining a team and getting the move approved. That's it.

So, San Antonio will get a team if an owner steps forward to buy JAX or whatever other team is on the block. Or the existing JAX owner could move the team themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 12:17 PM
 
9,035 posts, read 16,482,830 times
Reputation: 6832
just to add a little bit to the thread

attendance in buffalo and carolina is not bad - they've both been in the top 10 in attendance for the past 3 years

there are issues in those markets, but it's not just how many people you can get to show up - it's how much money those people can bring in, corporate support, luxury boxes, lease agreements, ownership, etc

in buffalo they have the double bad of having not the most favorable setup in their stadium and a family owner who is getting older - when he dies there is going to be issues over taxation and all of the stuff - it's going to be hard for him to not sell the team or for his heirs to not sell the team ..... their issue is finding someone who wants to keep them in buffalo when there are more profitable deals out there

the WNBA is not a high level professional league - it's like claiming a minor league team - sure, both are technically professional but really don't say much about your market

as for london - it's just not a viable at this time - i have no issue at how they're trying to expand the game there, but they've still got a long way to go

it's improved, but still difficult, to access a game there - also, there is a well entrenched #1 sport - when I was living there soccer fans were very rabid against american football, almost on principle .... it was like they couldn't fathom liking both

you get a similiar mentality here in regards to soccer - we're 25-30 years into trying to grow that game here and the success is still marginal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,852,705 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You're ONE out of many other Europeans that I've either met, talked to, or chat with. I doubt that the support would be tha great for NFL in England.
Those cities attendance levels are low because (1) the economy sucks and (2) their teams suck just as bad as the economy (sorry to any Bills, Hurricanes, and Jags fans).

And no one is saying Austin will receive an NBA team or even want one in their city. Austin is a college town. Period. The only pro sports team they'll support are teams in other cities.

And BTW, San Antonio has TWO major sports teams. Sure the other is a WNBA team, but it still counts. I'm sure San Antonio, along with Austin, West and Southwest Texas can hold down an NFL franchise.
Yeah Austin really has zero care for professional sports, being that the city is;
1. Full of transplants, people will continue to support their home cities.
2. UT-Austin has dominant sports influence here, that can't be shaken, not even by a pro team.
3. They don't have a proper state of the art field/arena/park for any professional teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
You are talking to someone from Europe.

Yes, the key is they have ONE. San Antonio already has their one with the Spurs. Also, the metro areas smaller than SA are failing. I am assuming Buffalo, Raleigh and Jacksonville are three out of the ten. Guess what? They all have low attendance.



Yes, but there is more information. The only reason why Raleigh got an NHL team is because the Carolina Hurricanes serve Charlotte too. Charlotte will never receive an NHL.

The same way Austin will never receive an NBA team because they share one with SA. Same concept with the Orlando Magic sharing a team with Tampa.



Two out of the four metro areas bolded are looking into moving.
That's true Jacksonville and Buffalo are failing, but that's because both their teams suck. The Bills don't even have a decent QB, and they've been on the search to get whatever they can, they were the first team to show interest in Micheal Vick after his release from prison, and that's saying a lot. They needed him as a starter.

Jacksonville on the other hand, has a lot of state competition with the Bucs and Dolphins, and regional competition with the Panthers and Falcons. The economy in Jacksonville is the best in Florida, but the team there was the expansion team in the last decade. They don't play well at all.

Greenbay is a much smaller market, but it does well because of it's strong team.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Why do you say that?

I think I have said this about a million times in this thread and others but many of you do not seem to understand:

THE OWNERS ARE ALL THAT MATTERS.

The owners own and run the teams. First, there has to be an owner wanting to put a team in a city. Second, the owner has to purchase an existing team. Third, the other owners and the league have to approve the move.

The city doesnt matter, the fans dont matter, deserving doesnt matter, what city is best doesnt matter. The only thing about a city that will likely come into play is the stadium and other cities willingness to help maintain one or get one built.

It all comes down to a qualified ownership obtaining a team and getting the move approved. That's it.

So, San Antonio will get a team if an owner steps forward to buy JAX or whatever other team is on the block. Or the existing JAX owner could move the team themselves.
Agreed, and the Jags owner has already firmly stated that he has no intention of selling or relocating his team.
LA and SA have to look else where, or just wait a few years for an expansion franchise. Besides many from LA said they want a fresh new team anyways instead of some hand-me-down team from another city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM
JJG JJG started this thread
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,250 posts, read 19,240,598 times
Reputation: 7010
Oh there will be no expansion teams in the NFL anytime soon. In fact, I wouldn't see that happening in at least 20 years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,852,705 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Oh there will be no expansion teams in the NFL anytime soon. In fact, I wouldn't see that happening in at least 20 years...
I do, with the rapid growth of many of the American cities, and the population projected to reach 400 Million by 2045.

I see a lot of hope in an expansion team, especially to popular sunbelt cities/other cities that are growing faster than they can keep up with. Like Oklahoma City, Orlando, Portland, Louisville, and Raleigh.

And the already large media market of LA, and the NFL ready city of SA.

I can see an expansion team happen, but yeahh not this decade but certainly the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top