U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 04:13 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,250 posts, read 19,238,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Why is that?
Even though I put Austin in my list back in 2006 (....damn, that's almost a full four years....), I don't really see Austin gettin' a pro sports team because of UT, as well.

Austin's NFL team are the Longhorns.
Austin's NBA team are the Longhorns.
Austin's MLB team are the Longhorns.
Austin's WNBA team are the Lady Longhorns.
and Austin's MLS team are the Longhorns.

Plain and simple, UT athletics dominate that city. Austin just doesn't seem to want MAJOR pro sports....
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,108,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Even though I put Austin in my list back in 2006 (....damn, that's almost a full four years....), I don't really see Austin gettin' a pro sports team because of UT, as well.

Austin's NFL team are the Longhorns.
Austin's NBA team are the Longhorns.
Austin's MLB team are the Longhorns.
Austin's WNBA team are the Lady Longhorns.
and Austin's MLS team are the Longhorns.

Plain and simple, UT athletics dominate that city. Austin just doesn't seem to want MAJOR pro sports....
They are just a college sports team. Professional sports always get higher ratings then pee-wee league.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
They are just a college sports team. Professional sports always get higher ratings then pee-wee league.
You can talk about ratings all you want. But that ultimately doesn't matter..... I'm talking about SUPPORT.

The Longhorns dominate Austin. Period.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:06 AM

927 posts, read 1,212,175 times
Quote:
Why is that?
Why is that? Isn't it obvious? The University has a huge following in Austin and the surrounding regions and in fact statewide. An NFL club there would only serve to dilute that support and make it tougher to sell Longhorn tickets. Plus the University is incredibly influential in the world of football and in the City of Austin and would heavily lobby against a pro team.

San Antonio for several reasons. A new Dome could be built while a team plays temporarily in the Alamodome. A huge built-in , blue-collar, football watching, NFL fanbase just begging for NFL football. And no major local competition for football fans other than UTSA. Plus Austin people would still have the benefit of an NFL team nearby affording them the chance to come to games conveniently instead of having to trek hundreds of miles to see a Cowboy or Texan game.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:19 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,311,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Hawaii!!

Puerto Rico!!

Alaska!!
Three of my favorite cities!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,553,905 times
Toronto, CA
they can play at the Roger's Center

LA shouldn't get an NFL team, unless they want a half empty stadium and blacked out games. everyone in LA are loyal to other teams

Old 09-29-2010, 09:23 PM

144 posts, read 91,543 times
Quote:
I don't see the "pee-wee" league's future resting on the shoulder's of some greedy league executives and stubborn team owners, do you?

Fyi, the NFL sucks, plain and simple. Once large-sum salaries are introduced into sports, they are ruined.

But, in the spirit of this thread, I could definitely see Portlad, OR as the next expansion team.

/end rant.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:20 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,108,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post
I don't see the "pee-wee" league's future resting on the shoulder's of some greedy league executives and stubborn team owners, do you?

Fyi, the NFL sucks, plain and simple. Once large-sum salaries are introduced into sports, they are ruined.

But, in the spirit of this thread, I could definitely see Portlad, OR as the next expansion team.

/end rant.
College sports does not come close to the ratings of professional sports. Pro sports have more fans, media attention and the spotlight.

NFL is the most popular sports in USA. Super Bowl is the most watched event in the world.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:35 AM

Quote:
College sports does not come close to the ratings of professional sports. Pro sports have more fans, media attention and the spotlight.

NFL is the most popular sports in USA. Super Bowl is the most watched event in the world.
Not necessarily, Not really, and NO (Don't let any Europeans hear you say that last part out loud)

Go to Alabama.... Go to Knoxville... Go to South Carolina, Utah, Nebraska, Mississippi, West Virginia, Iowa.... Go to AUSTIN.
All these places have NO NFL team and the main sports teams are all college. Yet, they seem to get along just fine without them and the college team(s) bring in more viewers on local tv and buts in the seats. Alabama fans pack a stadium even if it's a scrimmage. Just because it's pro doesn't mean it's instantly better.

Oh, and dude, the NFL is the most popular in America when it comes to PRO sports. COLLEGE football is the most popular sport in this country. It's been like that ever since the creation of the sport. Period.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:24 AM

13,227 posts, read 18,030,901 times
After doing lots of thorough research, I think that Glendive, MT would be the perfect place for a new NFL franchise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or