U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 03:41 AM

711 posts, read 978,399 times

Advertisements

None. There are already too many. And if you added another team then you would have unbalanced divisions. Right now it is set up pretty good with 32 teams and 8 divisions consisting of 4 teams each. Adding more would just make it tougher for a home team to win the Super Bowl. Please just keep it at 32.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,187,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
None. There are already too many. And if you added another team then you would have unbalanced divisions. Right now it is set up pretty good with 32 teams and 8 divisions consisting of 4 teams each. Adding more would just make it tougher for a home team to win the Super Bowl. Please just keep it at 32.
Eventually, the NFL will expand again. It won't be anytime soon, but it's gonna happen. We're not talking about expanding NOW.

We're just talking about which cities are best to get teams. By the way, even with 32 teams, some of them could (and will) move to some other city.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:59 AM

371 posts, read 518,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
yep 8 or 9, because that's what they usually do. I'm thinking:

New York (v.03)
Milwaukee (to replace the other Wisconsin team that moved to LA)
Salt Lake/Provo
Las Vegas
Birmingham
Toronto
Des Moines
Disney World
All eight of those places (Disney World: Orlando) have been locations of UFL teams or possible expansion locations. I don't think the NFL should expand out of the U.S. and New York is not getting another team. Plus I don't think any of these cities (maybe Milwaukee or Salt Lake City) could support a NFL team. A UFL team on the other hand..

Old 02-04-2011, 05:50 PM

711 posts, read 978,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Eventually, the NFL will expand again. It won't be anytime soon, but it's gonna happen. We're not talking about expanding NOW.

We're just talking about which cities are best to get teams. By the way, even with 32 teams, some of them could (and will) move to some other city.
Fair enough.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 PM

17 posts, read 14,965 times
Quote:

New York (v.03)
Salt Lake/Provo
Las Vegas
Birmingham
Toronto
Des Moines
Disney World
the packers are not going anywhere and even if they wanted to i dont think they could i think they signed a contract with the city promising they will never move

Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 PM

17 posts, read 14,965 times
the packers are awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,750,375 times
The NFL is not going to expand. Not now, not ever. Relocation will likely happen but we will not see expansion. The NHL and NBA are already talking about contraction because they are quickly figuring out that the business of sports in this country does not allow a league to have more than 30 or so teams.

If they did expand, two would be the absolute maximum and I think that chance is slim to none. There will never be an expansion of 8 more teams. That's ridiculous. I would never want that to happen.

Having more teams dilutes the talent pool which is already thin in some positions. There are many positions in this league that do not have enough players for all the teams to be competitive. Quarterbacks and kickers are top among that list. How many teams are struggling to find a franchise QB?

In addition, it also dilutes revenues and the owners will never stand for something like that. 8 more teams would drastically decrease television revenues received by each team.

If the NFL wants to add more teams they need to create a second division. It would help develop more players out of college and give smaller markets a team to support. It would give players that are not necessarily ready for the NFL play a chance to play games and develop their skills so that they could one day move up to the NFL. There are probably a lot of Warren Moon and Kurt Warner type players out there that shouldnt have to go to Canada to develop.

I think what a lot of people in this thread seem to forget is that the NFL is a business. The NFL corporate office and all the teams are seeking to make a profit. Adding more teams gives the existing teams more competition for players and revenues. The owners have to approve something like expansion and being that it takes things away from them, they are not going to approve it.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,750,375 times
Quote:

New York (v.03)
Salt Lake/Provo
Las Vegas
Birmingham
Toronto
Des Moines
Disney World
Are you inferring that the Packers will be moving to LA or are you thinking that the Vikings are in Wisconsin?

The Packers are not moving anywhere. They would be the last and I mean last NFL team to move.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:00 PM

76 posts, read 95,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The Packers are not moving anywhere. They would be the last and I mean last NFL team to move.
Is that, in theory, even possible in a extreme case scenario? Didn't they write the bylaws in such a way that it's impossible to move the team even if they all wanted to do so?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:22 AM

21,328 posts, read 21,900,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The NFL is not going to expand. Not now, not ever. Relocation will likely happen but we will not see expansion....

....I think what a lot of people in this thread seem to forget is that the NFL is a business. The NFL corporate office and all the teams are seeking to make a profit. Adding more teams gives the existing teams more competition for players and revenues. The owners have to approve something like expansion and being that it takes things away from them, they are not going to approve it.
Not only is the NFL reshuffling and expansion already in the works, I predict at minimum, at least four more of these type threads before 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or