U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,529,289 times

Advertisements

Yes, but it's not like the baseball season where you play games all through the week. Doesn't take that long to fly to Honolulu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 808 times
1. San Antonio - Borderline, a bit too near Dallas
2. Los Angeles - Definitely
3. Las Vegas - Question mark hangs over it's gambling industry
4. Toronto - a good choice, but will the CFL allow it?
5. Columbus - too near Cincinnati and Cleveland
6. Austin - too near Dallas
7. Louisville - too small
8. Orlando - too near Tampa Bay and Jacksonville
9. Portland - good choice
10. Oklahoma - a bit too small

I think that the NFL should expand to 40 teams, and the cities which I think should have teams are Los Angeles (x2), Portland, Las Vegas, Norfolk, Toronto, London (U.K.), and Mexico City.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:20 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 42 View Post

I think that the NFL should expand to 40 teams, and the cities which I think should have teams are Los Angeles (x2), Portland, Las Vegas, Norfolk, Toronto, London (U.K.), and Mexico City.
... I don't think 200+ miles is that much close.

And I just can't EVER see any NFL team outside of America or Canada.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:30 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,747,266 times
Quote:

40 teams? Are you serious? The NHL and NBA are talking about contraction due to the problems caused by having 32 teams. The NFL will not be far behind if it actually happens.

If anything, the NFL will actually contract rather than expand. The business of the game makes having a 40 team league impossible to sustain. There is no way the owners would approve expansion to that number.

London and Mexico City? Are you serious? Wow...

Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,747,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Yes, but it's not like the baseball season where you play games all through the week. Doesn't take that long to fly to Honolulu.

It's not the length of time, it is the cost and wear on players. Traveling is one of the hardest things on athletes and travel to and from Hawaii within a few days time would be extremely hard on the players.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:46 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,430,940 times
Quote:
2. Los Angeles - Definitely
3. Las Vegas - Question mark hangs over it's gambling industry
4. Toronto - a good choice, but will the CFL allow it?
5. Columbus - too near Cincinnati and Cleveland
7. Louisville - too small
8. Orlando - too near Tampa Bay and Jacksonville
9. Portland - good choice
10. Oklahoma - a bit too small

You do realize that the distance between portland & seattle is 100m less than the distance between San Antonio & Dallas - right?!

It's also closer between Oklahoma City & Dallas than Dallas & San Antonio (just a bit further away than portland/seattle)

Aside from your weird distance things - most of the rest of the post is a bit goofy as well

It takes a pretty large infrastructure to support an NFL team ... you need the building, you need the facilities, you need the corporate base, you need the TV market and you need enough people to fill a 65k-70k building each year

Old 07-18-2011, 11:35 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,816,489 times
The NFL wont be expanding anytime soon, but just for fun I would add Omaha to some one that should be in the discussion(not going to happen though).

Omaha has sold out every home game for the UFL and will do so again this season. 26,000 for basically minor league football isn't anything to scoff at(only 20,000 less than the lowest average from the NFL last year). I would say the fan support is here for 60K every Sunday. There is also major corporate support here. The 5 Fortune 500 companies is just the tip of the iceberg here. Strong civic leadership in terms of sporting venues as well. $422 million have been spent on a arena and baseball stadium in the past 8.5 years, and that is without either having major league franchises. Omaha could find the cash for a $400+ million NFL quality stadium.

The negatives are a weak TV base, who outside of the two teams would tune in for an Omaha game? Not a "flashy" city compared to most of the NFL cities. No NFL caliber facility currently(but how many cities have that just lying around). KC being a little close in a not very populated general area.

I am not saying it will ever happen, but I would put it above Vegas, Columbus, Louisville, and Portland on Rob 42's list.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:42 PM

165 posts, read 253,825 times
So... the country is running out of money and we want to EXPAND with more football teams?

smh

Jacksonville is my favorite team but honestly they, and Carolina should of never been entered into the league. Titans should of never moved to Nashville. Houston made sense. Baltimore too. Lots of people. Strong cities who's economies keep the team possible even if they under perform. But you have cities like Jacksonville and Nashville, Indianapolis even (All from the same division ironically) who are very small markets. People struggle to keep the teams there. Peyton Manning singlehandedly kept that franchise alive. When he's gone Indy is gonna have that stadium and they better find another money maker or they're gonna be in the same boat as Jacksonville, Nashville and other small market struggling teams.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:58 PM

297 posts, read 340,340 times
I don't know about expanding, but if teams were to be added or relocation were to take place, I would like to see some teams moving to the west of the Rockies. Too much east coast bias in the NFL. I think Portland would be GREAT. L.A., Salt Lake City and Las Vegas would be possibilities too.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycassden View Post
So... the country is running out of money and we want to EXPAND with more football teams?

smh

Jacksonville is my favorite team but honestly they, and Carolina should of never been entered into the league. Titans should of never moved to Nashville. Houston made sense. Baltimore too. Lots of people. Strong cities who's economies keep the team possible even if they under perform. But you have cities like Jacksonville and Nashville, Indianapolis even (All from the same division ironically) who are very small markets. People struggle to keep the teams there. Peyton Manning singlehandedly kept that franchise alive. When he's gone Indy is gonna have that stadium and they better find another money maker or they're gonna be in the same boat as Jacksonville, Nashville and other small market struggling teams.
Just to be clear (for the millionth time) NO ONE is saying the NFL SHOULD expand anytime soon. It's just suggestions for cities that could hold teams.

BTW, compared to other pro sports in this country, these teams aren't struggling for anything. And for you to say that the Panthers and Jags shouldn't have came into existance is backwards thinking. The NFL is the wealthiest major sports league in the world and the Jags and Panthers are part of it. 32 is a perfect number for the NFL.

And teams moving to certain places made it what it is today as well. Those teams moved because of the OWNERS and their want for a new stadium. Not really the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or