U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 12:29 PM

9,467 posts, read 12,302,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Unfortunately I think the NFL needs to start leaving some smaller markets or doing what the some have suggested in playing in secondary markets for part of the season. Other than Greenbay, most smaller markets are just not big enough to support a team anymore. And it's not even a matter of lack of fan popularity more than just a lack of fans themselves, there just not enough of them. For example, Buffalo and Jax are just not large enough to support NFL teams. The fans are as loyal as any other teams but Buffalo as a region is shrinking in population and Jax just has not grown to what was expected. I know Jax fans who love and support their team, but at the end of the day there are only about 1.5 million people in the entire Jax metro area whereas most NFL cities are in metros 2x that size or more. I don't think it would be a bad idea to let these smaller/medium market teams play in nearby markets, for instance Buffalo playing a few games in Toronto, Jax playing a few games in Orlando, Titans playing in Memphis, Panthers playing in Raleigh. It helps keep the teams profitable, increases the fan base, and doesn't strip the original town of their teams. Maybe the Chargers in dispute to get a new stadium now should consider moving to Orange or Riverside Counties right in between SD and LA. Just throwing it out there.
that just might increase ownership profits and allow the teams to get theirs hands on " better talent "
IMHO....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 04:21 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,381,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Unfortunately I think the NFL needs to start leaving some smaller markets or doing what the some have suggested in playing in secondary markets for part of the season. Other than Greenbay, most smaller markets are just not big enough to support a team anymore. And it's not even a matter of lack of fan popularity more than just a lack of fans themselves, there just not enough of them. For example, Buffalo and Jax are just not large enough to support NFL teams. The fans are as loyal as any other teams but Buffalo as a region is shrinking in population and Jax just has not grown to what was expected. I know Jax fans who love and support their team, but at the end of the day there are only about 1.5 million people in the entire Jax metro area whereas most NFL cities are in metros 2x that size or more. I don't think it would be a bad idea to let these smaller/medium market teams play in nearby markets, for instance Buffalo playing a few games in Toronto, Jax playing a few games in Orlando, Titans playing in Memphis, Panthers playing in Raleigh. It helps keep the teams profitable, increases the fan base, and doesn't strip the original town of their teams. Maybe the Chargers in dispute to get a new stadium now should consider moving to Orange or Riverside Counties right in between SD and LA. Just throwing it out there.
L.A. is not desperate because they refuse to use public-funds, taxpayer dollars to help build a new stadium or to renovate an old one

Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
L.A. is not desperate because they refuse to use public-funds, taxpayer dollars to help build a new stadium or to renovate an old one
maybe LA should just admit they don't want a team at all and be done with this charade...

AEG's downtown stadium proposal looks like a no go for the NFL

Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 AM

5,754 posts, read 4,228,195 times
Not reading all 69 pages, but Virginia has no pro team at all. No Professional football team, no Professional Basketball team, no Professional Baseball team, no Professional hockey team. I would love to see an NFL team in VA, even though I'm a Redskins fan.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:54 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,512,039 times
I think aside from Los Angeles, the next most logical places in the United States would be as follows...

1. San Antonio/Austin, TX
2. Oklahoma City, OK
3. Birmingham, AL
4. Memphis, TN
5. Louisville, KY
6. Little Rock, AR
7. Honolulu, HI
8. Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA
9. Omaha, NE
10. Las Vegas, NV

(THIS IS MY OWN OPINION (NOT FACT) OF WHAT'S TO COME IN THE NFL - SATIRE)

Personally, however... with Roger Goodell's love for expanding the game into the European market, I see the league going this way by 2025..

The NFL will expand by 8 teams, which will bring the league to 40 teams, 2 conferences of 20 teams, each conference with 4 divisions of 5 teams.

Within the 8 expansions, I expect 2 to be placed in Los Angeles, 1 in San Antonio, TX, and 5 within the European Union, most likely London, Paris, Barcelona, Frankfurt, and possibly Amsterdam or Athens.

I'd be willing to bet that all of the European franchises would play in their own division.

If it were me, I'd probably line up the divisions as follows..

NFC

NFC East

Dallas Cowboys
New York Giants
Washington Redskins
Philadelphia Eagles
Jacksonville Jaguars

NFC North
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings
Tennessee Titans

NFC Central
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Houston Texans

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals
Seattle Seahawks
St. Louis Rams
San Francisco 49ers
Los Angeles Expansion

AFC

AFC East

London Expansion
Paris Expansion
Barcelona Expansion
Frankfurt Expansion
Amsterdam/Athens Expansion

AFC North
Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
New York Jets
New England Patriots
Indianapolis Colts

AFC Central
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Baltimore Ravens
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Antonio Expansion

AFC West
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Oakland Raiders
San Diego Chargers
Los Angeles Expansion

In this format, the league would most certainly shift to an 18 game schedule, which would include two weeks off instead of the traditional one.

Do I seriously think this would happen? No. However, who knows anymore?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 PM

431 posts, read 397,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Not reading all 69 pages, but Virginia has no pro team at all. No Professional football team, no Professional Basketball team, no Professional Baseball team, no Professional hockey team. I would love to see an NFL team in VA, even though I'm a Redskins fan.
Im a redskin fan to althou presently i live in texas perhaps the new stadium management is talking about could bring the skins to VA

Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,342,091 times
Pecos, TX.
Give these people something; anything.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,512,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Pecos, TX.
Give these people something; anything.
If you make enough noise, they might put a soccer team in Odessa..

Old 03-06-2013, 10:40 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,752,834 times
Hawaii doesn't have a big enough population and fans aren't going to take a road trip there to watch a game. Not going to happen anytime soon.

No teams in Europe. They play futbol, not football.

My list of cities in no particular order:
1. Norfolk/Virginia Beach
2. San Antonia/Austin
3. Toronto
4. Little Rock or Memphis
5. Birmingham

Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,072,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Hawaii doesn't have a big enough population and fans aren't going to take a road trip there to watch a game. Not going to happen anytime soon.

No teams in Europe. They play futbol, not football.

My list of cities in no particular order:
1. Norfolk/Virginia Beach
2. San Antonia/Austin
3. Toronto
4. Little Rock or Memphis
5. Birmingham

Yeah... no teams in Europe. The last 2 choices, I would say Memphis for sure, but not sure about Birmingham. What about Oklahoma City, or Portland, OR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or