U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:50 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,521,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Hawaii doesn't have a big enough population and fans aren't going to take a road trip there to watch a game. Not going to happen anytime soon.

No teams in Europe. They play futbol, not football.

My list of cities in no particular order:
1. Norfolk/Virginia Beach
2. San Antonia/Austin
3. Toronto
4. Little Rock or Memphis
5. Birmingham
To be honest, Toronto would probably never get a team because of its proximity to Buffalo, unless the Bills relocate there.

Little Rock I think would work, I think Memphis would be a good city but I think Bud Adams would complain as he's set the Titans up to be a regional franchise.

I also think that the Redskins/Panthers/Ravens would frown on a team in Virginia, and Jerry Jones may frown on a team in San Antonio, Austin, or Oklahoma City, but I do like your list.

I have to say however, that if you truly believe that there won't be a team in Europe eventually, you're ignoring what's going on in the league right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 02:17 PM

21,367 posts, read 21,930,528 times
I remember the WFL and the hype surrounding it, also remembered Birmingham going crazy for their team and I've always thought it would sustain itself through an NFL season.

1974 WFL Attendance "figures"
Attendance Project: WFL

39,269 Birmingham
33,280 Jacksonville
29,220 Chicago
26,339 Southern California
22,129 Charlotte
21,525 Memphis
19,488 Philadelphia
18,972 Shreveport
18,582 Houston
15,413 Florida
15,370 Portland
13,031 Hawaiians
10,862 New York
10,237 Detroit

1983 - 1985 USFL Attendance "figures"
Attendance Project: USFL

45,530 Jacksonville ('84 - '85)
43,343 Tampa Bay ('83 - '85)
37,629 New Jersey ('83 - '85)
30,325 Birmingham ('83 - '85)
30,048 Denver ('83 - '85)
29,270 Memphis ('84 - '85)
27,355 Michigan ('83 - '84)
25,507 (c)Orlando ('85)
23,975 (b)Philadelphia ('83 - '84)
23,666 Oakland ('83 - '85)
23,562 Houston ('84 - '85)
23,075 Arizona ('83 - '85)
22,858 Pittsburgh ('84)
20,436 Oklahoma ('84)
12,735 (a)Boston ('83)
30,557 (a)New Orleans ('84)
19,908 (a)Portland ('85)
14,643 Los Angeles ('83 - '85)
14,275 (b)Baltimore ('85)
13,333 San Antonio ('84 - '85)
12,773 Chicago ('83 - '84)
10,771 (c)Washington ('83 - '84)

same franchise relocated...
(a) Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers
(b) Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars
(c) Washington Federals/Orlando Renegades

Old 03-08-2013, 01:51 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,383,071 times
i know it's been mentioned a lot but i do believe San Antonio deserves an NFL team, Football is like religion in Texas, and Texas is the 2nd largest state in America population-wise, so it can definetley have a third NFL team

Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 PM

9,470 posts, read 12,326,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Cities sharing franchises does not work. Plus are the secondary cities supposed to build NFL stadiums for a couple games a year?

The best expansion process the NFL could do right now is implement something like 8-10 developmental league teams and place them in smaller football hungry markets that could play in ~25K seat stadiums. Just 10 off the top of my head.

OKC
Birmingham
Omaha
SLC
Sacramento
Richmond
Austin
Charleston
Louisville
Little Rock

Would open up a ton of markets and a ton of players to the league without watering down the product or sharing teams.
The NBADL have done it so what the hey give it a whirl....but my list of cities would look like this.

Birmingham Ala 60,000 Stadium
Long Beach CA 50,000 Stadium
Louisville KY 50,000 Stadium
Sacramento CA 50,000 Stadium
Oklahoma City OK 50,000 Stadium
Tulsa OK 50,000 Stadium
Fort Worth TX 50,000 Stadium
Austin TX Texas University Stadium
Virginia Beach VA MSA 50,000 Stadium
Omaha Neb 50,000 Stadium
Richmond Virginia 50,000 Stadium
Des Moines Iowa 50,000 Stadium
Spokane Washington 50,000 Stadium
Salt Lake City is over saturated with Major League Teams
Real Salt Lake
THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE UTAH JAZZ

El Paso TX 40,000 Stadium
Baton Rouge LA 40,000 Stadium
Sheveport LA 40,000 Stadium
Memphis TN 40,000 Stadium..Memphis already had NFL and blew it with the Nashville TN Team
Corpus Christi TX 40,000 Stadium

Little Rock Arkansas 25,000 Stadium
Charleston South Carolina 25,000 Stadium
Columbia South Carolina 25,000 Stadium
Savannah Georgia 25,000 Stadium
Tucson Arizona 25,000 Stadium

Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 PM

431 posts, read 398,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
i know it's been mentioned a lot but i do believe San Antonio deserves an NFL team, Football is like religion in Texas, and Texas is the 2nd largest state in America population-wise, so it can definetley have a third NFL team
of course it can florida has what 3 miami ,jacksonville, tampa why not texas ?

Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 PM

901 posts, read 733,775 times
Was hoping this thread would be less active so I could post another list... but whatever:
1. San Antonio. Proven it can sustain a franchise (Spurs)
2. Birmingham, AL. The revenue isn't there but the fanbase is committed to football. Would probably perform similar to GA's football market with a larger portion of revenue going towards college football but I think a professional scene could subsist in Birmingham... Not the most beautiful city though.
3. Cleveland. They really... Just really... They need something new.
4. Richmond, VA. Not a lot going on in VA as far as pro sports go... Which is shocking. If NC can hold 3 major sports teams (NFL, NBA, and NHL) then VA can certainly gain interest in at least 1 market... Strong competition from DC but an expansion could be found in VA
5. San Jose. It'd be interesting to see an NFL trifecta either in Central Cal, or the big 3 in Texas.
Honorable mentions:
OKC, because of the success of the Thunder (but it'll be interesting the response during a down season)
Las Vegas (eh.. EH...)
Portland, OR
Vancouver/Toronto/Canadian extension.
An oversees team is just too much travel at this point in time. The 10+ hrs it takes to get from anywhere in the US to another hemisphere is detrimental, extremely costly and other countries just don't like football. It's not a part of their history (yet) but as time goes on the NFL could see minor World Cup type competition and scale.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:19 PM

2,176 posts, read 974,667 times
your first 3 hell no.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 PM

14,154 posts, read 19,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
To be honest, Toronto would probably never get a team because of its proximity to Buffalo, unless the Bills relocate there.

Little Rock I think would work, I think Memphis would be a good city but I think Bud Adams would complain as he's set the Titans up to be a regional franchise.

I also think that the Redskins/Panthers/Ravens would frown on a team in Virginia, and Jerry Jones may frown on a team in San Antonio, Austin, or Oklahoma City, but I do like your list.

I have to say however, that if you truly believe that there won't be a team in Europe eventually, you're ignoring what's going on in the league right now.
I don't think that matters much about the Bills. Toronto is a large city and I have faith it could sustain more professional teams.

I think Little Rock actually would be one of the best small markets for the NFL, Memphis is close enough to draw fans from as well.

Skins and Ravens can bite it. Virgina is too large a state to not have at least one team.

San Antonio might have a problem with UT and the Cowgirls though. I would think they have much more clout in that area versus Virgina's problem.

What's going on in the league now? Hitler Goodell making the game for sissies, I know about that. The only way it would work is if they made it strictly in Europe. Plus talent would be watered down, it's not like colleges in Europe have a football culture like we do here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
Was hoping this thread would be less active so I could post another list... but whatever:
2. Birmingham, AL. The revenue isn't there but the fanbase is committed to football. Would probably perform similar to GA's football market with a larger portion of revenue going towards college football but I think a professional scene could subsist in Birmingham... Not the most beautiful city though.
4. Richmond, VA. Not a lot going on in VA as far as pro sports go... Which is shocking. If NC can hold 3 major sports teams (NFL, NBA, and NHL) then VA can certainly gain interest in at least 1 market... Strong competition from DC but an expansion could be found in VA
5. San Jose. It'd be interesting to see an NFL trifecta either in Central Cal, or the big 3 in Texas.
Honorable mentions:
OKC, because of the success of the Thunder (but it'll be interesting the response during a down season)
Las Vegas (eh.. EH...)
Portland, OR
An oversees team is just too much travel at this point in time. The 10+ hrs it takes to get from anywhere in the US to another hemisphere is detrimental, extremely costly and other countries just don't like football. It's not a part of their history (yet) but as time goes on the NFL could see minor World Cup type competition and scale.
Just because a team can support one team doesn't mean it can support another.
I can agree with that. I'd think NBA would be more popular though.
What does Cleveland have to do with this?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
Honorable mentions:
Las Vegas (eh.. EH...)
Portland, OR

There already is an international world championship although they dont use NFL players for it. American football will never be big in other places because of the average play time being 6 seconds and only having an average of 12 minutes of actual play in a 3 hour game. It's just not something they are use too and because of that, they cant sit and watch. A game every now and again works because it is a novelty but long-term, it just isnt sustainable because the way the game is designed doesnt fit other cultures.

IFAF World Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,616,171 times
Should definitely be in a state that doesn't currently have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or