Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
the World League of American football was a flop,I don't think London would have the attendence to warrant having an NFL team.
True, but many minor league teams that are flops in a city also have seen successful major league teams for the same sport as well.
I think it has a lot to do with the level of sport as well, people tend to take professional teams far more seriously than minor league ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
I definitely think Detroit should have an NFL team, and I hope they get one soon.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I definitely think Detroit should have an NFL team, and I hope they get one soon.
The Lions? lol
They already have the Lions for the NFL.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:28 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
The Lions? lol
They already have the Lions for the NFL.
I meant a real NFL team.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I meant a real NFL team.
Yeah, the Lions aren't any good.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:40 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I think Los Angeles and Las Vegas should both have NFL teams. I'd like to see the Rams move back to LA and the Jaguars move to Las Vegas.
If the Jaguars move anywhere besides L.A., it WILL be San Antonio.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
That's only IF they move though haha.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 AM

324 posts, read 669,074 times
Quote:
NO AMERICAN FOOTBALL OUTSIDE THE US.... unless it's Toronto. And that's it!

And I wouldn't say San Antonio isn't concerned with UT. That's Austin, and that city could care less about any pro sports team. Just look at the Austin Wranglers of the AFL. San Antonio seems to want a pro sports team alot more than Austin ever did...
Completely wrong. If London received an NFL team people from all over the United Kingdom, Ireland and Europe would go to games. Also, tons of Americans would hang out in London for a week and be sure to take in a game while there, including myself.

The people of Austin will drive to see some games. This is already proven to be true, look at the Spurs.

Quote:
SMH, what is the big deal with San Antonio?

SA is a small city and is not ready for a NFL team. The only way they will meet the requirements for population is to INCLUDE Austin into their marketing plan to the league.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
Completely wrong. If London received an NFL team people from all over the United Kingdom, Ireland and Europe would go to games. Also, tons of Americans would hang out in London for a week and be sure to take in a game while there, including myself.

The people of Austin will drive to see some games. This is already proven to be true, look at the Spurs.

SMH, what is the big deal with San Antonio?

SA is a small city and is not ready for a NFL team. The only way they will meet the requirements for population is to INCLUDE Austin into their marketing plan to the league.
. . . . .

Ok.

First off, we've seen an American football team in London during that experiment we called "NFL Europe". It didn't last too long, because all of Europe is more fixed on soccer. Just ask most Brits how they feel about our football and they'll go on a 3 hour lecture about why their football is better than our football.

And the city of San Antonio is NOT small... Wait, I forgot. You're counting the metro area, right? Still, there are 10 metro areas that are smaller than San Antonio's and they all have at least one of The Big Four in their area (half of them with NFL). San Antonio was ready for the NFL back in '94, which is what the Alamodome was built for in the first place.

And I stick by that.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 AM

927 posts, read 1,390,141 times
Quote:
. . . . .

Ok.

First off, we've seen an American football team in London during that experiment we called "NFL Europe". It didn't last too long, because all of Europe is more fixed on soccer. Just ask most Brits how they feel about our football and they'll go on a 3 hour lecture about why their football is better than our football.

And the city of San Antonio is NOT small... Wait, I forgot. You're counting the metro area, right? Still, there are 10 metro areas that are smaller than San Antonio's and they all have at least one of The Big Four in their area (half of them with NFL). San Antonio was ready for the NFL back in '94, which is what the Alamodome was built for in the first place.

And I stick by that.
If there was anybody more instrumental than Paul Tagliabue, the former commissioner, in keeping the NFL out of San Antonio I can't think of any. As you mentioned, San Antonio was eliminated early in the expansion race back in 1993 at the strong urging of Tagliabue. Then in 2006, the city was denied its rightful spot in the league when he prevented the Saints from moving here.

But now with the commissioner we have currently San Antonio's chance to get a team are bright indeed. Roger Goodell does not have the preconceived negative ideas in his head about San Antonio nor does he possess the hatred for the town that the former commissioner had. Combine that with all of the facts that have been mentioned about the city including a strong economy, 2 million+ population etc, and San Antonio is indeed a likely spot to host a franchise soon. And maybe even before Los Angeles gets in the league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football