Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 07:57 PM

18,136 posts, read 25,664,806 times

Advertisements

In terms of its size, reminding people that in size Texas is the biggest state in the lower 48, and with population they rank 3rd in the U.S. Last time I looked, they are well over 17,000,000 in population.

One BIG thing San Antonio has going for it, other than having a stadium there already, is that their economy is a LOT better than other parts of the country. This is just my 2 cents, but IMO when the NFL wants to expand they want to take a good look at the city itself. What makes the city tick job wise, economy wise? What is their projections on those subjects a few years from now? I think it will be three years before an expansion club gets in, basically because of the economy in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:05 PM

927 posts, read 1,383,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
In terms of its size, reminding people that in size Texas is the biggest state in the lower 48, and with population they rank 3rd in the U.S. Last time I looked, they are well over 17,000,000 in population.

One BIG thing San Antonio has going for it, other than having a stadium there already, is that their economy is a LOT better than other parts of the country. This is just my 2 cents, but IMO when the NFL wants to expand they want to take a good look at the city itself. What makes the city tick job wise, economy wise? What is their projections on those subjects a few years from now? I think it will be three years before an expansion club gets in, basically because of the economy in general.
Given what you said, would it be more likely that another team relocates to San Antonio? BTW, you're spot on about the economy here. The place is booming.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:15 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,973,334 times
maybe there should be a NFL just for Texas teams or their own division

throw in Dallas and Houston then add San Antonio, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock-Amarillo, Laredo or how about Waco even.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:24 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

One correction.... Texas is 2nd in population as well as`size.
Also, the Alamodome is like 16 years old now, which isn't bad, but maybe a little behind when you compare it to half of the stadiums in the NFL. So if a team does move to San Antonio, I'd bet that the Alamodome would get some renovations first.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:44 AM

18,136 posts, read 25,664,806 times
Yep, I goofed. Second! Thanks JJG!

Good point on the Alamodome. It was built in the early 1990's and I'm positive the league will want a few updates.

I think at the end of this year we are going to have a showdown on the stadium issues with Buffalo and San Diego. Buffalo is as blue collar as a city could get. With San Diego it IS the stadium. Personally, I could give two bleeps about the new glitzy stadiums. But San Diego was told by the NFL that their last time hosting a Super Bowl WOULD be the last time until a new stadium was built. As I've been to Jack Murphy, er, Qualcomm stadium several times, it's still a good stadium by me.

I'm not familiar with the problems going on in Jacksonville, other than knowing things are contentious there. But IMO opinion, by the end of next year one of the clubs will be moving.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,591,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm just curious, but if your interested, would you give me a list of cities that should have NFL teams in order from most deserving to least? Here's mine:

1. San Antonio
2. L.A.
3. Las Vegas
4. (the only non-American city that actually deserves one) Toronto
5. Columbus, OH
6. Austin
7. Louisville,KY
8. Orlando, FL
9. Portland, OR
10. Oklahoma City
11. any other American towns without one.
What do you think?
Yiour picks would put more than half of the NFL between Pittsburgh and Chicago.

1. Los Angeles
that's about it.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:10 PM

109 posts, read 318,622 times
Los Angeles.Even though they blew their chance for an expansion team earlier. If you remember the Houston Texans were originally going to be in LA but the group who was trying to get a stadium and the franchise organized altogether couldn't do so. Hell the NFL even delayed the announcement just to give LA time!when they didn't Houston got it. I'm pretty sure the Raiders will be back in LA once that new stadium they are building in City of Industry is completed.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:21 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,851,612 times
My vote goes for Salt Lake City

Old 09-21-2009, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicname View Post
LMAO at an NFL team in OKC or San Antonio. Texas doesn't need any more teams. And OKC is a Sooner town would never embrace an NFL squad.
I don't know where you get your info from, but it's not reliable. I was born in and raised in OKC, I continued to follow my hometown after I joined the Army, and I moved back home briefly once my time was up. Football is King in the state of Oklahoma. It isn't just Sooner country. Every middle school, high school, college, and private league has a tremendous following that has no problem filling venues. If anything, I'm surprised that an NBA team moved there before an NFL team did. It is no secret that the local residents have been courting the NFL to have a team move into town. There is an area set aside near downtown across from where the interstates dissect that has not been developed. Since the early 90's with the implementation of the MAPS Project, city planners and the local government have reserved the land for professional teams that want to move into an area with a low tax rate, low unemployment (even in these times), and a booming population more than eager to support a team willing to take the chance and move in. For a long time, professional sports have viewed OKC as a small, country town with not enough revenue to generate wealth from a franchise. The OKC Thunder is more than just a new team in town. To the locals, it is validation that OKC belongs on the national scene, and they are not going to let that go to waste.

I told my wife last year where there was talk of the bills moving that if they picked OKC, I would abandon the Cowboys.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 PM

459 posts, read 801,923 times
Honolulu!! It makes no sense economy wise, but having no pro teams out here sucks. But then again if you put a pro team on Oahu you could get 80,000 people easily to go to the games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football