Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,198,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Because they were the first and can do whatever they like.

j/k

The Pack are owned by shareholders, etc. What the Packers get are paid for by shareholders and fans, and theyre VERY loyal to their team. I think Green Bay only has 90,000 people, but theyd never let their team slip through the cracks, ever. Theyre not like these new expansion teams with fairweather fans, the Packers have history, tradition, pride. Im still convinced that 80% of the other NFL teams dont know what those words even mean. All these booming cities get NFL teams, and that just isnt right IMO. Keep the league smaller, its keeps it more personal and much more competetive. And no more domes!!!! Football is a cold weather sport, not some desert sport or tropical sport. Theres just something wrong with the idea of playing football under palm trees at 80 degrees. Its about playing in the snow, sub zero temps and brutalizing cold.
Says someone from a colder region of the country. Football has always been extremely popular in the South, granted we're not talking about palms, unless you're talking about Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:09 PM

17 posts, read 17,164 times
i forgot these
salt lake city
portland
and i would really like to see louville have a team

Old 01-31-2011, 12:07 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,526,809 times
I don't see teh NFL expnading myself. I don't see the saints play a limited schedule in san antonio being evidence it can support a team. That takes real bucks for any city to get a maintain a team. They already have had chances before and don't rememeber them coming to the forfront with a deal any team was interested in.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:35 AM

927 posts, read 1,384,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Deserving has nothing to do with it.

Owner or ownership group is what matters. No owner = no team.
You're partially correct RjRobb2. Another very important factor is how a team in a certain region would affect the television ratings for teams nearby. In fact the biggest reason San Antonio has not gotten an NFL franchise over the years is because of the revenue the Texans and Cowboys garnish from the San Antonio area. A San Antonio area pro football team would represent a huge financial pitfall for these two other clubs. The loss in revenue for them would be massive. Particularly when you consider, ticket sales, concessions, parking and merchandise that the Dallas and Houston franchises derive from there being no team in San Antonio.

So, how can San Antonio, and other places in a similar situation, get into the NFL? One word. Indemnification. If the owners of the Cowboys and Texans could somehow be handsomely compensated for the revenue they would lose by having a team in San Antonio, then it could happen. These owners know that San Antonio is a hot football market that craves the NFL. This is shown by the huge ratings NFL games get in San Antonio. And even though TV revenue is shared by the owners it is still advantageous for these owners to continue to deny San Antonio it's place in the league.

Still though, I believe the market economics that drive this anti-San Antonio sentiment here in Texas will eventually fade and San Antonio will get its team.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:54 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,794,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't see teh NFL expnading myself. I don't see the saints play a limited schedule in san antonio being evidence it can support a team. That takes real bucks for any city to get a maintain a team. They already have had chances before and don't rememeber them coming to the forfront with a deal any team was interested in.
The NFL's NOT gonna expand anytime soon....

I say, you wont see any expansion teams for at least another 2 decades.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 PM

17 posts, read 17,164 times
when they do expand they will add about 8 teams

Old 02-03-2011, 06:52 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,872,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green bay packers guy View Post
when they do expand they will add about 8 teams
yep 8 or 9, because that's what they usually do. I'm thinking:

New York (v.03)
Milwaukee (to replace the other Wisconsin team that moved to LA)
Salt Lake/Provo
Las Vegas
Birmingham
Toronto
Des Moines
Disney World

Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,526,809 times
I don't see new york becuase the giants and jets wil be firmly aginst it. The others look doubt the areas have the need investment except for Vegas and the gambling inductry there will be aginst it because they don't want the local competition. The NFL will not like the assocation of being in the gamblig capial either.Since its so far away we will have to see the frowth areas that can support the stadium ad other requirements.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:05 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,794,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
yep 8 or 9, because that's what they usually do. I'm thinking:

New York (v.03) I seriously doubt that.
Milwaukee (to replace the other Wisconsin team that moved to LA) ???
Salt Lake/Provo That's a big maybe....
Las Vegas Sure, even with the gambling. However, ya gotta see how Vegas looks in the coming years first...
Birmingham I can see that happening.
Toronto Eventually, Toronto will get a team. But it won't be from expansion...
Des Moines Eh.... like SLC, maybe.
Disney World Why not....
Even though NY is huge, no city in this country (or Canada) will get three NFL teams in one.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:45 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,339,679 times
Honolulu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football