Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 04:45 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious, but if your interested, would you give me a list of cities that should have NFL teams in order from most deserving to least? Here's mine:

1. San Antonio
2. L.A.
3. Las Vegas
4. (the only non-American city that actually deserves one) Toronto
5. Columbus, OH
6. Austin
7. Louisville,KY
8. Orlando, FL
9. Portland, OR
10. Oklahoma City
11. any other American towns without one.
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 04:54 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm just curious, but if your interested, would you give me a list of cities that should have NFL teams in order from most deserving to least? Here's mine:

1. San Antonio
2. L.A.
3. Las Vegas
4. (the only non-American city that actually deserves one) Toronto
5. Columbus, OH
6. Austin
7. Louisville,KY
8. Orlando, FL
9. Portland, OR
10. Oklahoma City
11. any other American towns without one.
What do you think?
1. Texas DOESNT need another team.
2. Had one, didnt go over well.
3. No. No way. I can see the gambling machines at the stadium and prostitute flyers being handed out outside the stadium. Just wouldnt feel right having a pro team in Vegas.
4. That would be interesting, but doubt it would ever work.
5. Ohio already has two teams, no need for another one.
6. See #1
7. I think that would be a great idea!
8. Florida DOESNT need another team.
9. This would also be interesting!
10. would be kinda interesting to say the least.

Heres my picks:

1. Portland
2. Louisville
3. Um, cant think of any more.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:02 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Austin's too cool for pro football...

Annnd, the nearest large city, to my current town, (Indianapolis) is having such a difficult time funding it's pro team (i.e. their very spendy,new, taxpayer-funded stadium), I think over 50% of the taxpayers would gladly give the team away.

I'm not sure *deserve* is the right word.

Last edited by plaidmom; 12-06-2006 at 06:30 PM..

Old 12-06-2006, 06:45 PM

47 posts, read 291,835 times
Orlando could support an NFL team but the Bucs and the Jags owners wouldn't stand for it.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:49 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,614 times
We already have too many teams, in my opinion. I think there is quite a drain on the existing talent pool, as there is even more back-end roster filler now than there was in the 70s and 80s. Besides, we have enough teams with QBs who can't play

However, to play along, I would move a team. I'd take the Raiders and move them to Portland, although since they have the Blazers they probably don't need another team with an outlaw image

Austin is Longhorn country. I think a pro team would flop there.

LA had 2 teams and couldn't keep either one, and there doesn't seem to be a big demand for another team.

San Antonio would oversaturate Texas (as would Austin).

The NFL will never put a team in Vegas with the sports betting there.

Columbus is Ohio St. territory, and 2 teams for Ohio is enough.

Toronto would be a serious consideration if the NFL wanted to go international.

I don't think Louisville is a big enough market, especially with Cincinnati relatively close by.

Orlando? Maybe if you moved the Jaguars there.

Oklahoma City? I dunno. Oklahoma is college land too.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:01 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
We already have too many teams, in my opinion. I think there is quite a drain on the existing talent pool, as there is even more back-end roster filler now than there was in the 70s and 80s. Besides, we have enough teams with QBs who can't play
That's true.

I think I would move around a few teams before I'd add new ones, but there's a few cities that I think would be good choices.

Toronto - I actually think that would be the most interesting choice. I don't follow the CFL but I'd imagine Toronto has a team already so I'm not sure how this would work exactly, but in general, I feel like Toronto is a perfect place for a team.

Los Angeles - It's sort of crazy that they don't have a team. It's the nation's second largest city and metro area.

Portland

Las Vegas - There will be soon enough. For such a large fast-growing city/region, there's a dearth of sports teams.

Sacramento - May be a little too close for comfort to 49er country, but I still see a potential there.

Salt Lake City - I'm not sure why, but I feel like it would really embrace a football team.

I also sort of like the idea of Louisville although I had never thought of it before.

On a somewhat-related note, not to earn the ire of any Cheeseheads, but Green Bay has always seemed to me to be the most random location of any sports franchise. It's worked out well for them, but it's just so random.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:13 PM

603 posts, read 1,994,941 times
PORTLAND!!!! Portland gets neglected by pro sports too often, IMO. They need a baseball team too, so that my Seahawks and Mariners won't have to travel cross country all the time to play people in their divisions. The northwest is really underrepresented by pro sports. A distant second, I would have to say Las Vegas, but they are pretty close to Pheonix...and we all know how well football has gone there.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:16 PM

603 posts, read 1,994,941 times
Shoot--why not Boise, ID? California & Texas should not even be considered for another sports team until other places have been given a chance, IMO.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:23 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Yes, the Toronto Argonauts. CFL football isn't as popular to watch as NFL. The CFL might not be happy about it, but many citizens would like it. Hockey will always be the most popular sport in Toronto, but an NFL team would be pretty popular too, at least for a few years until the novelty wore off. (like the NBA Raptors)

I don't know about recent times, but years ago when Buffalo was regularly going to the Super Bowl we had a lot of Bills fans at this end of southern Ontario. A few hours west near Michigan, most people are Detroit fans but 70-85% of Ontario's population lives within 1.5 hours from Toronto. I heard rumours that we don't have a team because Buffalo is afraid of losing some of its fan base.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:29 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Shoot--why not Boise, ID? California & Texas should not even be considered for another sports team until other places have been given a chance, IMO.
Great idea!

How about Wichita KS (Kansas City is actually in Missouri), Lincoln NB, Des Moines IA, Souix Falls SD, Bismark ND, Billings Montana (don't know the state acronym) Cheyenne WY or Anchorage AK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football