U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 07:35 PM

434 posts, read 249,172 times

Advertisements

Panthers fan here. I think the best-case scenario for us would be 15-1. I don't see us knocking off New England in Foxborough (although I didn't see us winning in Seattle in 2015), and the Packers will be tough, but I think we have at least a decent shot in all the other games. Worst-case scenario is somewhere in the 7-9 range. Probably end up going about 11-5 with a 4-2 record within the division and a couple other losses (NE, GB, etc) along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 10:22 PM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,847,356 times
Detroit will finish 8 - 8 and by some flukey games in the last two weeks of the regular season, will somehow sneak in to the playoffs as a wildcard.

Then, like clockwork, will lose in the first round while on the road.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:26 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,110,715 times
My Cleveland Browns: Based on the defensive personnel and how the defense played this pre-season I'd say 16-0, however I have to take the offense into consideration. Rookie QB who clearly is not ready to play in the NFL, along with two young backups, gives me great concern about whether they'll produce enough points to win games. I do believe the Browns can easily go 8-8, and if they get enough production from the offense they could shock the league and win somewhere between 10 and 12 games.

My prediction 11-5, and winners of the AFC North thanks to a great Gregg Williams coached defense. The Browns did not allow a TD pre-season games 2, 3 and 4. Yeah, I know, it's just pre-season, but they have excellent players on the D-line and at the LB positions, and the defensive backfield has been upgraded big time. While I didn't like the Joe Haden release it speaks to how highly the coaching staff and front office think of the CBs they do have, including starters Jason McCourty & Jamar Taylor. Kindred and Peppers as starting safeties have played well also.

Offensive line is great, much improved over last year and will be one of the best in the NFL. RBs Crowell and Dayes will do fine, with Duke Johnson playing a special role catching balls out of the backfield as well as taking handoffs from time to time. Backup RB Terrence Magee played well in pre-season, although I'm not sure he makes the roster. The team wants to keep FB (SuperBack) Dan Vitale who is dealing with an ankle injury at this time. He'll really help the offense when healthy. Can block well and is an excellent pass-catcher and runner after the catch.

Big questions for the Browns: QB, WR, and to some degree TE. Did not like the decision to start Kizer, he is not ready to be a starter in the league. Could sink the Browns season. A lot of young receivers with only a couple really stepping up, Coleman and Leslie come to mind. Those not producing enough, Louis, Higgins, and the vet Kenny Britt looking slow not getting enough separation from the DBs. At the TE position Seth DeValve has played well, but Telfer has only been so-so and Njoku looks like a project not worthy of a 1st round pick. Holtz looked better to me the little I saw of him.

So basically it'll come down to whether the starting QB and WRs do a good enough job, along with the rookie K, and how well the team stays away from injuries.

I like the HC Hue Jackson, but some of his playcalling has been suspect during pre-season. That needs to improve. Some plays don't work well in the pro game, surprised he called them. Overall though I believe he's the best HC the team has had since the return in 1999. He'll make mistakes, like I believe he has done naming Kizer the starter, but in the long run we can win a Super Bowl with him as HC. Time will tell.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:19 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,185,934 times
Rams: 7-9 but with some luck I could see 8-8 and/or 5-11 if the QBs haven't progressed at all.

S'hawks: 13-3. Got a bit better in the off-season, though the D might be getting too many miles on it. Still a solidly good team.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:19 AM

434 posts, read 249,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Detroit will finish 8 - 8 and by some flukey games in the last two weeks of the regular season, will somehow sneak in to the playoffs as a wildcard.

Then, like clockwork, will lose in the first round while on the road mainly due to poor officiating.
Fixed it for ya.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:02 PM

21,321 posts, read 21,895,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
My Cleveland Browns: Based on the defensive personnel and how the defense played this pre-season I'd say 16-0, however I have to take the offense into consideration. Rookie QB who clearly is not ready to play in the NFL, along with two young backups, gives me great concern about whether they'll produce enough points to win games. I do believe the Browns can easily go 8-8, and if they get enough production from the offense they could shock the league and win somewhere between 10 and 12 games.

My prediction 11-5, and winners of the AFC North thanks to a great Gregg Williams coached defense. The Browns did not allow a TD pre-season games 2, 3 and 4. Yeah, I know, it's just pre-season, but they have excellent players on the D-line and at the LB positions, and the defensive backfield has been upgraded big time. While I didn't like the Joe Haden release it speaks to how highly the coaching staff and front office think of the CBs they do have, including starters Jason McCourty & Jamar Taylor. Kindred and Peppers as starting safeties have played well also.

Offensive line is great, much improved over last year and will be one of the best in the NFL. RBs Crowell and Dayes will do fine, with Duke Johnson playing a special role catching balls out of the backfield as well as taking handoffs from time to time. Backup RB Terrence Magee played well in pre-season, although I'm not sure he makes the roster. The team wants to keep FB (SuperBack) Dan Vitale who is dealing with an ankle injury at this time. He'll really help the offense when healthy. Can block well and is an excellent pass-catcher and runner after the catch.

Big questions for the Browns: QB, WR, and to some degree TE. Did not like the decision to start Kizer, he is not ready to be a starter in the league. Could sink the Browns season. A lot of young receivers with only a couple really stepping up, Coleman and Leslie come to mind. Those not producing enough, Louis, Higgins, and the vet Kenny Britt looking slow not getting enough separation from the DBs. At the TE position Seth DeValve has played well, but Telfer has only been so-so and Njoku looks like a project not worthy of a 1st round pick. Holtz looked better to me the little I saw of him.

So basically it'll come down to whether the starting QB and WRs do a good enough job, along with the rookie K, and how well the team stays away from injuries.

I like the HC Hue Jackson, but some of his playcalling has been suspect during pre-season. That needs to improve. Some plays don't work well in the pro game, surprised he called them. Overall though I believe he's the best HC the team has had since the return in 1999. He'll make mistakes, like I believe he has done naming Kizer the starter, but in the long run we can win a Super Bowl with him as HC. Time will tell.
hope springs eternal

Old 09-03-2017, 06:26 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,110,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
hope springs eternal
Very true. I'm optimistic every year when the season begins. This year the defense looks better than I can recall since the return. Question is whether the offense will score enough points to win games.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:04 AM

10,680 posts, read 11,090,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
hope springs eternal
The awesomeness of the NFL if that "first to worst" stories happen often enough that a well-done off season such as the Browns have had can be the latest. The Dolphins went from 1-15 in 2007 to 11-5 in 2008, and the Chiefs and Colts both have 2-14 to 11-5 turnarounds in recent years. I don't think the Browns will be as good as 11-5 but I think with Hue Jackson and the pieces they have on defense they have the makings of a good build. More importantly they seem to have ownership that is willing to stay the course. If Jackson gets them a 4-12 finish previous Browns ownership would have started over. I think the most important thing the Browns can do is stay the course. Jackson got a dumpster fire of a Raiders team to 8-8 and Al Davis showed his appreciation by firing him. Given time, Jackson can build a winner there.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:16 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,058,187 times
My dumpster-fire 49ers are still terrible, young, and rebuilding, but I think the addition of Kyle Shanahan as head coach and Brian Hoyer as QB will get them 2 more wins than last year. I'll put them down for 4-12. They only beat the Rams twice last season. I see them doing that again and beating 2 other teams in meaningless games late in the season.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:16 AM

10,680 posts, read 11,090,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post

I don't know that was a mistake. The Browns likely don't see themselves as a legitimate contender this season but if they view Kizer as the long term option at QB what harm is there in getting him started now? Especially since the Browns have a solid line, so it's not like they're going to stunt his growth behind a sieve of a line that has him running for his life every snap. Let him get some of the hard lessons out of the way now while the team is still building. They'll likely be in a good draft position next year and have insane draft capital right now, so the pieces are coming. When they arrive Kizer may just be hitting on all cylinders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or