U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 10:13 AM

2,051 posts, read 1,123,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I don't know that was a mistake. The Browns likely don't see themselves as a legitimate contender this season but if they view Kizer as the long term option at QB what harm is there in getting him started now? Especially since the Browns have a solid line, so it's not like they're going to stunt his growth behind a sieve of a line that has him running for his life every snap. Let him get some of the hard lessons out of the way now while the team is still building. They'll likely be in a good draft position next year and have insane draft capital right now, so the pieces are coming. When they arrive Kizer may just be hitting on all cylinders.
Good points, and I'd be fine with starting Kizer if the defense wasn't so darned good this year. The team gave up a league low 29 points against during the pre-season, and will be tough for any team to beat. If the Browns can get decent production out of the offense, which is very suspect at this point, they'll have a legitimate shot at the division title or at least a wild card spot.

The defensive line has an incredible amount of talent on it, and the LBs and DBs are very good as well. Gregg Williams has them swarming to the ball, putting a lot of pressure on the QB, and stuffing the run.

The offensive line is very good, so it's all up to the so-called skill positions, QB, WRs and RBs to score enough to win.

I've never subscribed to waiting until next year, with the exception of a team like Dallas had when Troy Aikman was drafted once upon a time. The team stunk so getting Troy experience was understandable. They weren't going to the Super Bowl the year he was drafted and they knew it. I'm not so sure the Browns can't at least get to the playoffs, just don't think Kizer will be successful at it.

As for our defense, Gregg Williams may not be around long. He could end up with a head coaching position in a few months. So winning now should be a priority, not working towards next year.

If it were up to me I'd pick up an experienced veteran QB as backup and let Kessler go. Unfortunately, he doesn't do a good enough job moving the team down the field consistently. I'd rather have RG3 still on the roster, and he's still unsigned. Christian Ponder and Josh Freeman are a couple others that might be worthy of bringing in and they are FAs as well. If and when Kizer gets yanked for throwing too many INTs, I'd rather have a reliable veteran QB to replace him. Kevin Hogan has played well but against 3rd stringers, so not sure about him yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or