U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2017, 08:32 AM
 
Location: East Texas, with the Clan of the Cave Bear
2,123 posts, read 4,316,652 times
Reputation: 2459

Advertisements

Top to bottom strongest to weakest (this is tougher than you think).

1. NFC East - Dallas and NYG make this a tough division and on paper the other 2 teams look improved. Good QB's throughout this division makes it #1

2. AFC West - OAkland and KC with a quality Denver team and an unknown with the Chargers. These top 2 are very close.

3. NFC South - 2 SB entrants last 2 years. Good young QB's with a Drew Brees and Matt Ryan thrown in. Not so strong defenses in this division,

4. NFC West - 2 of the best coaches in the league in Carroll and Arians. 2 strong D's. Also 2 not-so strong teams

5. AFC South - Houston and Tenn are the class here with a Colts team QB'd by Luck. Could make this division #4 real easy

6. AFC North - Pittsburgh is perennial here with Balt. and Cincy strong recent PO history although Cincy not so good last year. Cleveland the worst organization in the league and the team shows it.

7. NFC North - GB here with an occasional flurry by Minn (I like Zimmer) or Detroit. Overall GB usually has no competition, their strength is a top 3 QB which isn't always enough.

8. AFC East - New England. Everybody else here generally suck with The Fish trying to make a move but are weak at QB (Tannehill is not all that and now he's out). NYJ prolly the second worst organization in the league and haven't done anything since the days of Willie Joe. Buffalo ... I got nuthin !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2017, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
Reputation: 12484
Interesting list, I like it. It is too bad NE doesn't have some competition in their division. I'm not a hater like some, but still feel it would be good if a team stepped up.

Packers have won division 5 out of last 6 and North has had 2 teams in the playoffs 6 out of 7, some competition within the division. Detroit can't seem to win a playoff game and I can't imagine the fans frustration (or the team either).

Last edited by susancruzs; 08-10-2017 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2017, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,631 posts, read 33,419,067 times
Reputation: 32339
NFC East #1? Disagree. Both teams who got in last year were one and done. I expect Dallas to be a lot weaker this year and for the Giants to have a drop off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 07:07 PM
 
4,979 posts, read 11,044,361 times
Reputation: 11808
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Top to bottom strongest to weakest (this is tougher than you think).

1. NFC East - Dallas and NYG make this a tough division and on paper the other 2 teams look improved. Good QB's throughout this division makes it #1

2. AFC West - OAkland and KC with a quality Denver team and an unknown with the Chargers. These top 2 are very close.

3. NFC South - 2 SB entrants last 2 years. Good young QB's with a Drew Brees and Matt Ryan thrown in. Not so strong defenses in this division,

4. NFC West - 2 of the best coaches in the league in Carroll and Arians. 2 strong D's. Also 2 not-so strong teams

5. AFC South - Houston and Tenn are the class here with a Colts team QB'd by Luck. Could make this division #4 real easy

6. AFC North - Pittsburgh is perennial here with Balt. and Cincy strong recent PO history although Cincy not so good last year. Cleveland the worst organization in the league and the team shows it.

7. NFC North - GB here with an occasional flurry by Minn (I like Zimmer) or Detroit. Overall GB usually has no competition, their strength is a top 3 QB which isn't always enough.

8. AFC East - New England. Everybody else here generally suck with The Fish trying to make a move but are weak at QB (Tannehill is not all that and now he's out). NYJ prolly the second worst organization in the league and haven't done anything since the days of Willie Joe. Buffalo ... I got nuthin !
I would swap the AFC North which is a stronger overall division with the NFC West which really had only 1 good team last season. Otherwise I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 06:46 AM
 
929 posts, read 296,392 times
Reputation: 799
We'll see if Houston's defense is for real, after what they showcased late last season; otherwise I generally prescribe to the thought that that the AFC South usually starts at the bottom and then I work my way up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 07:27 AM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,856,810 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
We'll see if Houston's defense is for real, after what they showcased late last season; otherwise I generally prescribe to the thought that that the AFC South usually starts at the bottom and then I work my way up.
I'd probably agree that the AFC South is the worst. I just don't see any of their top teams Houston, Indy and Tennessee as better than Miami/Buffalo. So New England is the team that obviously puts the AFC East as the better division. Now if we are talking about competitiveness within the division then there might not be a more competitive division in the NFL then the AFC South. And the AFC EAST is the least competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 03:48 PM
 
Location: East Texas, with the Clan of the Cave Bear
2,123 posts, read 4,316,652 times
Reputation: 2459
Bill, I think you'll be wrong about Houston and Tenn. Mariota is quite good and Tenn O-line is STRONG with a quality run game. Deshaun Watson looked really good the other night so if he's only decent then Houston is in the hunt.




Let's dust this thread off at the end of the season and see how clear our crystal balls were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 03:50 PM
 
5,721 posts, read 5,464,596 times
Reputation: 3606
Houston would have given N.E. a run for their money in last year's playoff game had they had anybody except for Osweiler at Quarterback. Their defense is that good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 06:54 PM
 
3,722 posts, read 3,877,834 times
Reputation: 2774
AFC

1. AFC West
2. AFC East
3. AFC North
4. AFC South

NFC

1. NFC East
2. NFC South
3. NFC West
4. NFC North

Overall

1. AFC West
2. NFC East
3. NFC South
4. AFC East
5. NFC West
6. AFC North
7. NFC North
8. AFC South

People keep talking about how the AFC East is the weakest conference in the NFL because the Patriots have been flat out the best team in the NFL over the last 16 years, but the division is a lot stronger than people think. Look at last season - New England went 9-1 outside of the division. Miami went 6-4 outside of the division. Buffalo, which had a losing record, went 6-4 outside of the division. New York went 3-7 outside of the division. The AFC North was flat out awful last year. Cleveland went 1-9 outside of the division. Cincinnati went 3-6-1 outside of the division. Baltimore went 4-6 outside of the division. Pittsburgh went 6-4 outside of the division. Look at the AFC South. Houston went 4-6 outside of the division. The Colts went 5-5 outside of the division. The Titans went 7-3 outside the division. The Jaguars went 1-9 outside of the division.

Here is a summary of AFC conference's record outside of the division:

AFC West 26-14
AFC East 24-16
AFC South 17-23
AFC North 14-25-1

Even if New England went 6-4, or even 5-5 instead of 9-1 the AFC East still would have performed better than the AFC North and AFC South outside of the division.

The AFC East also went 10-6 vs. the NFC West last season too. Miami, Buffalo and New England all went 3-1 and the Jets went 1-3.

Last edited by TAM88; 08-12-2017 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 07:05 PM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,856,810 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post


Let's dust this thread off at the end of the season and see how clear our crystal balls were.
I can't get over the 27-0 drubbing they took in New England against a third string QB. The very next week the Bills beat the Pats 16-0 in New England.

I won't be shocked if both the Texans and Titans end up being good teams with good records but at this point they both have to prove it still for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top