U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 01:42 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,396,029 times

Advertisements

Meaning that are you really bothered if your team starts 0-2 or 1-3? I always felt that wins and losses dont matter until after Columbus Day anyway since its so many games left in the regular season.

So your team starting 0-2 really isnt a big deal since the first day fall isnt until the 3rd week of September.

Agree or disagree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 04:44 PM

10,715 posts, read 11,123,282 times
If the games matter in the final regular season standings I don't consider them an extension of the preseason. Every game matters. An 0-2 start can be overcome but historic data says your shot of reaching the playoffs is pretty low with an 0-2 start.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
If the games matter in the final regular season standings I don't consider them an extension of the preseason. Every game matters. An 0-2 start can be overcome but historic data says your shot of reaching the playoffs is pretty low with an 0-2 start.
Just basically saying the first two weeks of the season is not as important as the month of November. No one wants to see their team lose but I figured most fans are not as bothered by a mid september loss as they would be if their team lost in mid november.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:33 PM

4,989 posts, read 11,076,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Just basically saying the first two weeks of the season is not as important as the month of November. No one wants to see their team lose but I figured most fans are not as bothered by a mid september loss as they would be if their team lost in mid november.
If you are hoping that your team will win the Super Bowl then those first 2 games are just as important as the last 2 games....

In recent history being a 1 or 2 seed significantly increases a team's chance of making it to and winning the Super Bowl. In order to be a 1 or 2 seed you are usually looking at 13-3, 14-2 record so losing the first 2 means running the table to get home field.

Here is a telling stat from NFL.COM

The eventual Super Bowl champion is 38-8-1 in regular season openers.

So if your team loses its opener in that "extended preseason" history states they have little chance of winning the Super Bowl that season....

If your team is rebuilding or you are just hoping they improve and get more competitive as the season goes on then I can see your point...

If you are a fan of one the 1/2 dozen or so teams with a legitimate SB shot you don't want to see them lose the first 2 games....

Old 08-10-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
If you are hoping that your team will win the Super Bowl then those first 2 games are just as important as the last 2 games....

In recent history being a 1 or 2 seed significantly increases a team's chance of making it to and winning the Super Bowl. In order to be a 1 or 2 seed you are usually looking at 13-3, 14-2 record so losing the first 2 means running the table to get home field.

Here is a telling stat from NFL.COM

The eventual Super Bowl champion is 38-8-1 in regular season openers.

So if your team loses its opener in that "extended preseason" history states they have little chance of winning the Super Bowl that season....

If your team is rebuilding or you are just hoping they improve and get more competitive as the season goes on then I can see your point...

If you are a fan of one the 1/2 dozen or so teams with a legitimate SB shot you don't want to see them lose the first 2 games....

I seen some fans overreact when their team loses game 1 and it's not that serious. I seen teams start 7-2 and miss the playoffs and teams who started 0-2 and still won their division. So I guess I am trying to say losing week 1 or week 2 is not that big of deal because it;s still summer time.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:09 PM

11,727 posts, read 11,568,764 times
I would rather not see a team have a slow start, which the Packers have done in recent years. They make the playoffs but taking it down to the wire for the division is not a great idea. Last year, they were 4-6, had to win 6 in a row to take the division.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:44 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,138,175 times
Quote:
Do you see the first two weeks of the NFL regular season like an extension of preseason?
No, I don't believe that. The pre-season shouldn't have any effect at all as to how the regular season begins.

If somehow the team begins as if it has a "hangover" -- if the players are lethargic or out of sorts -- then that's a problem which the coaching staff needs to define, and straighten out as quickly as possible.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:39 PM

10,715 posts, read 11,123,282 times
Quote:
They're all important. I don't think in the history of the league you'll ever find a team say that a fast start isn't important. There are teams who have stumbled out the gate and didn't panick, but that definitely wasn't the plan going in.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:10 AM

4,989 posts, read 11,076,445 times
Quote:
I seen some fans overreact when their team loses game 1 and it's not that serious. I seen teams start 7-2 and miss the playoffs and teams who started 0-2 and still won their division. So I guess I am trying to say losing week 1 or week 2 is not that big of deal because it;s still summer time.
You still don't seem to get it....they ALL matter. How many times have you seen a team start 0-2 and win their division because it doesn't happen often.

Since 2007 75 teams have started 0-2, ONLY 8 of them made the playoffs

So yeah, starting 0-2 effectively dooms the season

Old 08-11-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You still don't seem to get it....they ALL matter. How many times have you seen a team start 0-2 and win their division because it doesn't happen often.

Since 2007 75 teams have started 0-2, ONLY 8 of them made the playoffs

So yeah, starting 0-2 effectively dooms the season
Its just sounds crazy sometimes when the media is saying must win during week 2. Also you can be 0-2 and have two weak teams coming up on your schedule. So you have to look at it like from that angle too if a team is 0-2. Now if you are 0-2 and play the Pats and Broncos on the road in week 3 and 4 then the season maybe over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or