U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2017, 02:39 AM
 
Location: Amelia Island
2,977 posts, read 3,963,910 times
Reputation: 3088

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
The Chargers are in a no-win situation here. It's too bad they couldn't get their stadium deal together in San Diego. I'm sure over time the team can build a bit of a fan base there but unlike the Rams and Raiders, the Chargers barely have any history with Los Angeles.
This madness involving holding cities hostage in order to get huge stadiums built needs to stop.

Here in Jacksonville we have the largest NFL video scoreboards and swimming pools in the stadium and the Jags owner has just about taken all the streams of revenue available that the city used to get a piece of................and guess what? We are still losing and we are still trying to keep the stadium seats filled.

Seriously.........in fifty years a small child will be going by any one of the many stadiums in the US with a parent and the child will ask, what used to happen in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,506 posts, read 15,466,875 times
Reputation: 11420
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
This madness involving holding cities hostage in order to get huge stadiums built needs to stop.

Here in Jacksonville we have the largest NFL video scoreboards and swimming pools in the stadium and the Jags owner has just about taken all the streams of revenue available that the city used to get a piece of................and guess what? We are still losing and we are still trying to keep the stadium seats filled.

Seriously.........in fifty years a small child will be going by any one of the many stadiums in the US with a parent and the child will ask, what used to happen in there?
Former Brunswick, GA resident here...

They repeatedly put out a bad product, and expect people to show up in droves and support their stadium drives.

Teams need to do their part and play winning football at least some of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 11:25 AM
 
Location: California
2,013 posts, read 2,014,761 times
Reputation: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Is it too late for the team to relocate back to San Diego? lol

That might not be a bad idea, or I can hear the St. Louis fans say, we'll take them. Actually, I know St. Louis fans would love to have them and I know they will support them. But the ownership will never move them there.

As for me being a Ram fan, I will wish the Chargers well and hope they win because I am an LA fan. I just wont go to their games unless they are playing the Rams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 01:20 PM
 
Location: The city of champions
1,830 posts, read 1,700,457 times
Reputation: 1322
The Chargers will ultimately be fine. This is a long-term move and the Chargers realize this. Nobody should expect the Chargers to be fully embraced just because they showed up. They need prove to be an LA team first. In the long-run this will be a success.


Just look at the Clippers who also came from SD. They came to LA and had very little fan support and were not highly profitable. Look at them now. They sell out every game with high ticket prices, are highly profitable, and are the 6th most valuable franchise in the league.


Plus, the Chargers really had no choice. If they didn't move, the Raiders would have taken the LA spot and the Chargers would have been screwed forever. They'd be in a crappy stadium, would never be able to grow their fanbase passed San Diego limits, would be in a market that had more opposing fans than home fans and would be competing with the Rams and Raiders in the greatest stadium in the league.


The Chargers are going to have to tough it out. They owe $645 million in relocation fees. They will be in LA for the long haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,474,947 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
That might not be a bad idea, or I can hear the St. Louis fans say, we'll take them. Actually, I know St. Louis fans would love to have them and I know they will support them. But the ownership will never move them there.

As for me being a Ram fan, I will wish the Chargers well and hope they win because I am an LA fan. I just wont go to their games unless they are playing the Rams.
Will the LA Chargers still have territorial rights in regards to TV coverage, radio, etc in San Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Eastern N.C.
191 posts, read 142,411 times
Reputation: 278
I've been a SD Charger fan since 1963. Have a bunch of Chargers stuff.

No longer. I like SD, not LA. Ill have to find another team (If any given the current political actions of the players).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 09:02 PM
 
16,528 posts, read 20,986,524 times
Reputation: 47985
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
I've been a SD Charger fan since 1963. Have a bunch of Chargers stuff.

No longer. I like SD, not LA. Ill have to find another team (If any given the current political actions of the players).
Alworth, Hadl, Lincoln, Lowe, Koucureck, McKinnon, Mix on offense. Tobin won it all though!


Westmoreland, Ladd, Faison, Karas, McGuire on defense

Been a Bronco fan, third game I ever went to was Broncos/Chargers in 1963-week 3.

I understand your feelings, the above players I mentioned were classy players. Classy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2017, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Eastern N.C.
191 posts, read 142,411 times
Reputation: 278
Dan Fouts. No lead was safe and no deficit was out of reach.

Coke had a promotion where they put players pics on bottle tops. When you collected the whole team you could get a pennet or bobble head. Living on Coronado with all the motels we raided the coke machine's bottle openers and filled put many teams.

I'll miss the team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top