U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 08:21 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,191,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Yeah there has to be some formula
You're going to worry about TWO games? That seems trivial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 08:43 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,520,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
You're going to worry about TWO games? That seems trivial.
Hey, it's a message board. We're not saving the manatees here. Everything is trivial.

But my question actually concerns 10 games.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You may have a couple of things in play here.

I think under normal circumstances - it's a simple rotation.

If you are talking AFC West vs. NFC West or vs. AFC East - then every 4 years (for the NFC) or 3 years (for the AFC) it's a simple back and forth between the two teams.

If you are talking about the 1st place team playing against another first place team in the AFC, those are the situations that can get weird.

You could have Pats and Denver both in 1st place play in Denver. Then next year, it's the AFC West's turn to play the East, and it just happens to be that in the rotation, they are scheduled to play in Denver. The following year, they are both in 1st place again, and they could be back in Denver again.
Just curious what that rotation is.

I get that 6/16 games are set (home/away with your own division rivals).

So you have 10 games up for grabs. And determining the opponents is pretty cut and dry. Heck we know the opponents years in advance (short of 1st vs 1st, 2nd vs 2nd, etc)

So it could all come down to seeding but I'm guessing they leave the home/away option open so they have some wiggle room when building the schedule (not having a team too many consecutive home/away games, etc).

Old 08-22-2017, 10:18 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,855,533 times
Quote:

So it could all come down to seeding but I'm guessing they leave the home/away option open so they have some wiggle room when building the schedule (not having a team too many consecutive home/away games, etc).
No. The home and aways are already determined through 2019. For whatever reason the NFL has put things in where division A will play division B same place finisher two straight years away or (home). This is how you end up getting two teams playing three straight years at the same stadium. One season based on rotating division schedule and two seasons from sample place finisher. It's kind of random how they determine that put it is set in stone years in advance.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:31 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,855,533 times
Here is another possible example of two teams playing at the same site three straight years.

2016- Bills @ Bengals ( normal rotating division schedule)
2017- Bills @ Bengals (Bills play AFC North sample place finisher AWAY)
2018- Bills @ Bengals (play AFC North same place finisher AWAY for second straight year)
2019- Bengals @ Bills- Normal rotating division schedule switches the location.

I don't think it is possible for two teams to play at the same location four straight years because the rotating division schedule would switch the home/away sequence.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:49 AM

929 posts, read 296,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You may have a couple of things in play here.

I think under normal circumstances - it's a simple rotation.

If you are talking AFC West vs. NFC West or vs. AFC East - then every 4 years (for the NFC) or 3 years (for the AFC) it's a simple back and forth between the two teams.

If you are talking about the 1st place team playing against another first place team in the AFC, those are the situations that can get weird.

You could have Pats and Denver both in 1st place play in Denver. Then next year, it's the AFC West's turn to play the East, and it just happens to be that in the rotation, they are scheduled to play in Denver. The following year, they are both in 1st place again, and they could be back in Denver again.

Bingo; and hence there are no conspiracies; the bottom line is that all 16 games predetermined before the season even begins, as well as who will host them- just a matter of playing out the games and having teams end up in what ever order do they do in their respective divisions. I recall how Dan Marino and John Elway met ONCE before 1998, Elway's last season and almost Marino's last. It was 1985. You think the NFL didn't want to feature Marino vs Elway games annually if they could of? Its the way the scheduling format goes (back then when it was 6 divisions total, it wasn't rotating of divisions, except out of conference games: if you finished first in the AFC west for example, you played #1 and #4 in the AFC East and Central, etc... . There are coincidences. I recall way back how Patriot fans were bewildered that they always played Denver in Denver. I think Jet fans were dumbfounded, I believe it was the Raiders almost every year without the matchup ever being in NY. It can happen.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:14 AM

BTW, my reason especially for bringing up DRob4JC's post, is that he brings up what I think others are missing: there is overlap; such as the Pats-Broncos situation. 1st place teams meet the following year, but now also it could be the east's and west's turn to play one another (all 4 teams paired vs the other 4 teams). One has to override the other- all pre-determined; the NFL doesn't look to, nor does it invoke any subjectivity to this matter and think to themselves, well, Denver has played New England at home however many years in a row, so now, the game needs to be in Foxboro. Doesn't work that way.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Bingo; and hence there are no conspiracies; the bottom line is that all 16 games predetermined before the season even begins, as well as who will host them- just a matter of playing out the games and having teams end up in what ever order do they do in their respective divisions. I recall how Dan Marino and John Elway met ONCE before 1998, Elway's last season and almost Marino's last. It was 1985. You think the NFL didn't want to feature Marino vs Elway games annually if they could of? Its the way the scheduling format goes (back then when it was 6 divisions total, it wasn't rotating of divisions, except out of conference games: if you finished first in the AFC west for example, you played #1 and #4 in the AFC East and Central, etc... . There are coincidences. I recall way back how Patriot fans were bewildered that they always played Denver in Denver. I think Jet fans were dumbfounded, I believe it was the Raiders almost every year without the matchup ever being in NY. It can happen.
I remembered when Manning came here to Denver in 2012 they played at Foxboro first three years. Manning was "joking" a bit about it. But of course now they will be playing three straight years here at Mile High.

I guess three's are the pattern.

Look at NE vs Indy:

2004-2006 = at NE
2007-2009 = at Indy
2010-2012 = at NE

I only reference these as I'm almost certain these years these teams (DEN, IND, NE) finished first in their divisions. So Indy (with Manning) was usually (or always) 1st so they always played NE. Same when Manning came over to DEN. They always finished first.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:

I only reference these as I'm almost certain these years these teams (DEN, IND, NE) finished first in their divisions. So Indy (with Manning) was usually (or always) 1st so they always played NE. Same when Manning came over to DEN. They always finished first.
Again though, I'm confident you are correct. But it isn't just about 1st place vs 1st place; if the AFC East is paired against that same Manning team's respective divisions, then there is that to consider. I don't know, or really care to know the specifics. What I do know is that there is a firm set of criteria arranged in a particular order as to which takes precedent as to who hosts who, as well as who opponents will be. A lot gets criss crossed because of rotational factors, and even if the same exact franchises finish in the same exact order in each of their divisions, there's no guarantee they won't be playing in the same locale multiple years in a row, perhaps more than two- I don't know how many technically, again I don't care nearly enough to try and get my head wrapped around it.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:32 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,170,610 times
I wish they would schedule all four teams within a division to have the same bye week followed the next week by two games with one of the other teams within that division. My feeling is that any sense of unfairness in the schedule should be avoided as much as possible.

I don't like it when my favorite team plays an arch rival within the division after they had a week off and my team didn't.

I know someone will say that they are pros and it shouldn't matter. It is also next to impossible to quantify any advantage, even after the fact. At the same time though, it is next to impossible to quantify any lack of an advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football