U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 03:14 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,525,516 times

Advertisements

I get how the NFL determines the schedule:

Take for example Denver Broncos:

- 6 home/away games with division foes (Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs)

- Then they get rotating 4 games each with another conference from AFC and NFC (example AFC East and NFC East)

- Then they place two other teams in their Conference depending on place. First place AFC West plays first place AFC North and AFC South, etc.

I get all that. My question is how do they determine home/away games?

So if the Denver Broncos are set to play the AFC East this year, how do they determine if they play the Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, Bills at home or away. And same with all the other non-division games?

There was a time period where the Patriots/Broncos played at Foxboro for 3-4 years and now it seems it's coming the other way where they play at Mile High for 3-4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 03:29 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,122,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I get how the NFL determines the schedule:

Take for example Denver Broncos:

- 6 home/away games with division foes (Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs)

- Then they get rotating 4 games each with another conference from AFC and NFC (example AFC East and NFC East)

- Then they place two other teams in their Conference depending on place. First place AFC West plays first place AFC North and AFC South, etc.

So if the Denver Broncos are set to play the AFC East this year, how do they determine if they play the Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, Bills at home or away. And same with all the other non-division games?

There was a time period where the Patriots/Broncos played at Foxboro for 3-4 years and now it seems it's coming the other way where they play at Mile High for 3-4 years.
It's a bit complex at times. Hope this helps...
Creating the NFL Schedule | NFL Football Operations

Old 08-21-2017, 03:34 PM

Yeah I read those and still didn't answer my question, unless I missed it. Just wondering if there are rules in place for home/away games.

So if AFC West is set to play AFC East. How do they determine that the Broncos play Patriots/Jets at home and Bills/Dolphins on the road and the Chargers play Jets/Bills at home and Patriots/Dolphins on the road, etc...

Old 08-21-2017, 05:02 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,546,947 times
I saw something about this somewhere, awhile back, I'll see if I can find it, might have been local reporters I follow!

Old 08-21-2017, 05:08 PM

3,151 posts, read 2,192,662 times
That was started many years ago and now they just alternate every 4 years for NFC teams and every 3 years for AFC teams.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:23 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
That was started many years ago and now they just alternate every 4 years for NFC teams and every 3 years for AFC teams.
This. It just alternates. How they came up with the original schedule? Probably just random draw. But based off that original schedule the home and aways just alternate.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:53 PM

Take the Broncos vs Patriots regular season meetings.

2012,2013,2014 = Foxboro
2015,2016.2017 = Mile High Stadium

Why go 3 years in a row twice.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:11 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,414 times
Quote:
Take the Broncos vs Patriots regular season meetings.

2012,2013,2014 = Foxboro
2015,2016.2017 = Mile High Stadium

Why go 3 years in a row twice.
I am sure it has something to do with however the rotation is set up for playing teams that finished in the same place combined with playing on the regular divisional rotation.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I am sure it has something to do with however the rotation is set up for playing teams that finished in the same place combined with playing on the regular divisional rotation.
Yeah there has to be some formula

Old 08-22-2017, 08:19 AM

28,469 posts, read 15,441,696 times
Quote:

You may have a couple of things in play here.

I think under normal circumstances - it's a simple rotation.

If you are talking AFC West vs. NFC West or vs. AFC East - then every 4 years (for the NFC) or 3 years (for the AFC) it's a simple back and forth between the two teams.

If you are talking about the 1st place team playing against another first place team in the AFC, those are the situations that can get weird.

You could have Pats and Denver both in 1st place play in Denver. Then next year, it's the AFC West's turn to play the East, and it just happens to be that in the rotation, they are scheduled to play in Denver. The following year, they are both in 1st place again, and they could be back in Denver again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football