U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 04:45 AM

1,195 posts, read 483,796 times

Advertisements

Good choices this time around.

Senior nominees: Jerry Kramer, Robert Brazile.

Contributor nominee: Bobby Beathard.

They'll be officially voted on early next year at the same time as the regular candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 05:49 AM

16,532 posts, read 21,009,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Good choices this time around.

Senior nominees: Jerry Kramer, Robert Brazile.

Contributor nominee: Bobby Beathard.

They'll be officially voted on early next year at the same time as the regular candidates.
Jerry Kramer--In 1969 when the NFL celebrated their 50 year anniversary, Jerry Kramer was among the players named as offensive guard. Imagine 48 years later with him being named as among the greatest players and he is still not in the HOF! For a couple decades after he had been eligible, the Packer fans thought "what the heck is up here?" After a couple decades their incomprehension most likely turned to resentment.

IMO what hurt him was the fact that Packer linemen Forrest Gregg and Jim Ringo had already been inducted and you "just couldn't put in the whole line" in, from what I remember by NFL scribes saying back then. Kramer was smallish when he played , like 245 pounds smallish. remember, in those days the players in general were smallish as well. But from the standpoint of athletic ability he was among the best, maybe THE best to play his position. I remember early Packer games he would pull out of his position on those famed Green Bay "Power Sweeps", as Vince Lombardi put them, and he would be right behind Jim Taylor 30 yards down field.

I was surprised when I checked his stats to see that he was a pro bowler just 3 times, but he was first team AP all pro five times. He played just 11 years, his last year being in 1968. I remember the year after he retired I bought "Jerry Kramer's Farewell To Football" through the Sports Illustrated book club, and it was a great book. His book "Instant Replay" is one of the best books regarding the NFL-period.

And while this doesn't have any bearing what he did on the field, but his cause "Gridiron Greats" is very noteworthy regarding who he is about. During Super Bowl week on Jim Rome's syndicated CBS radio show, he always has Jerry Kramer on for a 15 minute interview. Between that and the various interviews I've seen him on with ESPN, FOX Sports and the major networks, he provides a lot of great commentary.

Jerry Kramer is a very valuable addition to the list of the NFL Hall Of fame. It's about time-actually past time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or