U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:59 AM

10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times

Advertisements

Anyone surprised? Being the highest paid never meant you are the best, it just means you are the guy playing the most critical position and you signed last. I have no problem with this deal, you can't compete without a QB in this game. The teams who have were the rare exceptions and none had lasting power. Brad Johnson? One year. Mark Rypien, same thing. Having a good QB guarantees nothing but not having one almost always guarantees failure.

On the same day this deal was announced the Jets announced Josh McCowan will be their opening day starter. Which team would you rather be a fan of?

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 08-30-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 12:22 PM

689 posts, read 337,942 times
Not surprised because of how the current QB market is. Stafford is a good solid QB, but I do think with all the money is making...there will be more expectations. Those expectations doesn't necessarily mean making it to the SB...but at least winning the NFC North. There are football fans and analysts who think he making too much with his 5-46 record against winning teams, no playoff game wins and no division wins.

Personally, I think his contract is deserved. Its just that the added money will mean more pressure and expectations. As I said in the Lions thread...there are 2 seasons where I think Lions should've won their division (last season is one of them) but Lions flopped against winning teams...but Stafford was playing hurt and the Lions need a running game and a better defense.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:41 PM

If someone is willing to pay it then it is deserved. Just think what the number would be if he went on the open market and QB starved teams (read 1/3 of the league) were bidding on his services. That's what I kept telling fellow Redskins fans regarding Cousins. Nobody is claiming Cousins is a top 5 QB but the player and the agent understands they have no choice and without him no chance.

Unfortunately that is the NFL now. Well it's always been a QB league but now more than ever. And the simple fact is if you don't have a QB you are the Jag, the Browns, the Jets. You have no chance.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:58 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Anyone surprised? Being the highest paid never meant you are the best, it just means you are the guy playing the most critical position and you signed last. I have no problem with this deal, you can't compete without a QB in this game. The teams who have were the rare exceptions and none had lasting power. Brad Johnson? One year. Mark Rypien, same thing. Having a good QB guarantees nothing but not having one almost always guarantees failure.

On the same day this deal was announced the Jets announced Josh McCowan will be their opening day starter. Which team would you rather be a fan of?
Reminds me of O$weiler.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Stafford, and I have high hopes for the guy, but you make a good point.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:11 PM

23,629 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

With the increased salary cap, we will be hearing of the record deal every few months for now on. Rodgers will probably get a bigger deal.

I have no problem with Stafford's contract. If he were with any team besides the Lions, he'd probably have a couple of deep runs into the playoffs.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:26 PM

I was never a big fan of Stafford. I saw a QB whose numbers were bloated by the amazing ability of Calvin Johnson. His numbers without CJ were much much lower.

But damned if he didn't get better after his star retired. Last year made a believer out of me. Half way through the season he was a legit MVP candidate. I still see him no more than middle of Tier 2 but again when a contract is up and you are at that level you get a huge deal.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:34 PM

4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times
My thoughts are that I guess the Lions are content. Content to not go after a real franchise QB. I know the fear is that without him you could end up like the Browns of the last 10 years. But with him and especially at that price it seems you are settling for a wild card appearance every other year and nothing more.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:34 PM

4,979 posts, read 11,042,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
My thoughts are that I guess the Lions are content. Content to not go after a real franchise QB. I know the fear is that without him you could end up like the Browns of the last 10 years. But with him and especially at that price it seems you are settling for a wild card appearance every other year and nothing more.
Stafford is a franchise QB, maybe not top tier, but he is top 10

Who else are they going to go after??

Realistically there are about a half dozen "real franchise QB's" on the planet and none of them are going to be available anytime soon...

Stafford is better than Flacco who has won a championship...probably more talented than Eli who has won 2

Lions could win with Stafford but they have to build around him and this contract doesn't preclude that....Peter King had a great breakdown yesterday of top 10 paid QB's from 1997 and the top 10 paid QB's of today

Contracts of QB's as a percentage of the salary cap is essentially unchanged over the past 20 years

Old 08-30-2017, 09:13 PM

32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
i have always liked stafford as a quarterback, he can move that team pretty well. think the lions have other issues to fix before they concentrate on finding a franchise quarterback that might be better than stafford. quarterbacks get too much of the credit/blame when things go right/wrong, witness tony romo as an example.

if the team isnt there, the quarterback is not going to rescue the season, if the quarterback is not that good, the team can still go a long ways into the playoffs as long as the rest of the team steps up.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:28 PM

4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Stafford is a franchise QB, maybe not top tier, but he is top 10

Who else are they going to go after??

Realistically there are about a half dozen "real franchise QB's" on the planet and none of them are going to be available anytime soon...

Stafford is better than Flacco who has won a championship...probably more talented than Eli who has won 2

Lions could win with Stafford but they have to build around him and this contract doesn't preclude that....Peter King had a great breakdown yesterday of top 10 paid QB's from 1997 and the top 10 paid QB's of today

Contracts of QB's as a percentage of the salary cap is essentially unchanged over the past 20 years
Stafford is in that third tier of players that starts somewhere around 8 or 9 and goes all the way up to 18 or so. I absolutely put him in the same tier as guys like Bradford, Dalton, Flacco, Eli and Smith. All QBs too good to part ways with without a back up plan but none really legitimate throw your team on the back franchise QBs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football