U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:59 AM

4,851 posts, read 6,369,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The NFL has ruined the fan bases of two major metropolitan areas (San Diego and St Louis) all for the media revenue of LA. So far the attendance at Chargers games is nothing short of embarrassing and the Rams fan base seems slow to be even as passionate about the team as St Louis was.

For every fan they gained in LA, they probably lost 3-4 in other parts of the country.

Yea, I would say it's going to backfire.

And now the kneeling thing is really pissing off the core demographic of the NFL fan base. (working class blue collar etc). I get the kneeling and I don't really care if they kneel, but these guys are using the wrong platform to send their message because they are insulting so many NFL fans that are very patriotic and or military/first responders.

The NFL and their players have lost touch with who their fans even are.

Hint, hint. It's not the LA fans that will fill up a billion dollar stadium to wine and dine each other.
Rams have a higher attendance average in L.A. than they did in St. Louis. That's impressive for a team playing in a college stadium. Has any NFL team had success in a college stadium? The Rams never should have left L.A. to begin with. I do enjoy, though, the folks that try to play the white knight for St. Louis with no sense of irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 09:03 AM

23,652 posts, read 33,467,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Rams have a higher attendance average in L.A. than they did in St. Louis. That's impressive for a team playing in a college stadium. Has any NFL team had success in a college stadium? The Rams never should have left L.A. to begin with. I do enjoy, though, the folks that try to play the white knight for St. Louis with no sense of irony.
Again, I'll say that leaving St Louis made the most business sense and the Rams will be fine in a couple of years in the new stadium though winning will help.

The Chargers are in far more trouble if yesterday's game was seen.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:43 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,700,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

Agreed, people need to stop feeling all bad for St. Louis. It's a very overrated market. They've lost more franchises than any other city. Two NFL teams, an NBA team, and an MLB team. The Rams were last in just about every financial category there. The Rams made the right move and anywhere from 50,000-70,000 per game is successful. They don't need to sell out the stadium. If they do, it's a bonus.

The Chargers are the wild card. We will see. Like I said before the Clippers faced a similar circumstance and were able to carve out their own LA fanbase over time, so the Chargers have a chance, but they need time.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:30 PM

1,583 posts, read 986,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Like I said before the Clippers faced a similar circumstance and were able to carve out their own LA fanbase over time, so the Chargers have a chance, but they need time.
Fair enough.. but it took the Clips 25 years to build a (tenuous) fanbase. They were basically invisible while Magic was playing. Even when the Clips were halfway decent (early 2ooos, Eric Piatkowski, Elton Brand, etc), the Staples Center was filled w/opposing fans.
I love the Clippers, but I've seen that LA only supports them when the Lakers are struggling (which has been consistent recently, allowing the Clips to rise). As soon as the Lakers become contenders, fans will defect back to purple & gold.

My view, there was no grassroots desire for the Rams or Chargers. NFL wanted the LA market, LA is largely indifferent. I've also seen that no matter where the Raiders go, they still have the loyal support of Mexican Angelenos.. Maybe 25 years from now ppl will be cheering for the Rams again, but during the recent Rams-Skins game I saw a lot of burgundy & gold in the bare stands & the Rams should be enjoying an enthusiastic homecoming, if they're planning a future no (?) We'll see. peace

Old 10-02-2017, 08:45 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,478,335 times
I had no problem with the Rams relocating back to LA but moving the Chargers back into the Los Angeles sports market happened to quickly. Los Angeles just got an NFL team that had been gone for over 20 years, the league should've waited several years so that the Rams can build their fanbase and get sports fans in LA accustomed to having an NFL franchise again. They shouldn't have awarded Los Angeles with a 2nd team in the city so quickly as they did. It was too soon and now the Chargers franchise is paying the price. Last Sunday there were overwhelmingly more Eagles fans at the stadium than Chargers fans despite the Chargers having home field advantage. Unless this team is a Superbowl contender every year, the Chargers will not do well in Los Angeles and the fan support will show that.

The NFL should to move the Chargers back to San Diego to salvage this embarrassment!

Old 10-03-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Fair enough.. but it took the Clips 25 years to build a (tenuous) fanbase. They were basically invisible while Magic was playing. Even when the Clips were halfway decent (early 2ooos, Eric Piatkowski, Elton Brand, etc), the Staples Center was filled w/opposing fans.
I love the Clippers, but I've seen that LA only supports them when the Lakers are struggling (which has been consistent recently, allowing the Clips to rise). As soon as the Lakers become contenders, fans will defect back to purple & gold.

My view, there was no grassroots desire for the Rams or Chargers. NFL wanted the LA market, LA is largely indifferent. I've also seen that no matter where the Raiders go, they still have the loyal support of Mexican Angelenos.. Maybe 25 years from now ppl will be cheering for the Rams again, but during the recent Rams-Skins game I saw a lot of burgundy & gold in the bare stands & the Rams should be enjoying an enthusiastic homecoming, if they're planning a future no (?) We'll see. peace
Well you have to understand. The Clippers moved to LA when the showtime Lakers were in full force and at the same time the Clippers were an awful franchise. The odds were stacked against them. They wouldn't have survived in any market if they had to compete against such a powerhouse. The Clippers didn't deserve the same level of support.

I say it took the Clippers until about 1997 or so until they built a solid fanbase. That's impressive considering how bad they were. Once they moved to Staples, things got much better for them.

The Rams can't expect to earn LA right now. They made a huge mistake leaving in the first place because they lost an entire generation. I grew up with kids who love all of the LA teams, but since we didn't have the NFL, they developed bonds with teams from other cities, and that hasn't changed. The Rams will need to time to regrow the roots. This isn't a one or two year thing.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I had no problem with the Rams relocating back to LA but moving the Chargers back into the Los Angeles sports market happened to quickly. Los Angeles just got an NFL team that had been gone for over 20 years, the league should've waited several years so that the Rams can build their fanbase and get sports fans in LA accustomed to having an NFL franchise again. They shouldn't have awarded Los Angeles with a 2nd team in the city so quickly as they did. It was too soon and now the Chargers franchise is paying the price. Last Sunday there were overwhelmingly more Eagles fans at the stadium than Chargers fans despite the Chargers having home field advantage. Unless this team is a Superbowl contender every year, the Chargers will not do well in Los Angeles and the fan support will show that.

The NFL should to move the Chargers back to San Diego to salvage this embarrassment!

Yeah it was too soon but don't act like things were much better in SD. The stadium was bigger of course, but the Chargers were already use to playing in front of opposing fans at home.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:39 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,535,688 times
I'm rooting for the Chargers, and they're doing exactly what I want them to do.....tanking. This year can be an absolute success if they can get situate themselves into the 1st or 2nd picks of the 2018 draft. I like Rivers, but having him at QB = No hope for the future. Draft Josh Rosen and build!

Old 10-03-2017, 08:15 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,760,887 times
As a lot of speculated the rush to move franchises to LA was strictly a tv money grab.
The NFL tv contract is up for renewal in 2021 and having the LA market boosts tv homes and for the owners and a large tv revenue stream.
The LA market has always demonstrated a lack of enthusiasm for the NFL----------the empty seats seen now and the out of town fans flocking to the Chargers games is certainly not a surprise.
The only way to capture the market is to have two super bowl contenders every year in LA when the new stadium is built----otherwise it is empty seat city.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
As a lot of speculated the rush to move franchises to LA was strictly a tv money grab.
The NFL tv contract is up for renewal in 2021 and having the LA market boosts tv homes and for the owners and a large tv revenue stream.
The LA market has always demonstrated a lack of enthusiasm for the NFL----------the empty seats seen now and the out of town fans flocking to the Chargers games is certainly not a surprise.
The only way to capture the market is to have two super bowl contenders every year in LA when the new stadium is built----otherwise it is empty seat city.
The attendance was strong in the 70's and before that. Near tops in the league but things changed in the late 80's. You don't need to have two super bowl contenders but you need to have a tradition. The tough part is getting my generation back, which they lost with the move in the 90's. There are many folks from LA who love all of the LA teams, but their NFL team is from another city and those fans have remained loyal to those teams who they have followed for the last 22 years.

The Rams best chance is keep doing what they're doing and focus on the younger generation. Build strong roots with them and turn them into Rams fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or