U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 12:28 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,012,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
The attendance was strong in the 70's and before that. Near tops in the league but things changed in the late 80's. You don't need to have two super bowl contenders but you need to have a tradition. The tough part is getting my generation back, which they lost with the move in the 90's. There are many folks from LA who love all of the LA teams, but their NFL team is from another city and those fans have remained loyal to those teams who they have followed for the last 22 years.

The Rams best chance is keep doing what they're doing and focus on the younger generation. Build strong roots with them and turn them into Rams fans.

My son was 5 when the Rams left for St. Louis, as a child he had a Rams helmet, Ram posters, some of which we still have in the garage. But as an adult he is not a Ram fan, he is a USC fan through and through. He now lives on the East Coast and still wears his USC jersey on game days.

I am trying to get him into being a Ram fan like he once was as a 5 year old. Not sure if I can succeed, even if they win, but I can try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 09:09 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,533,609 times
Guys, is the NFL to Tampa backfiring? Watching this Thursday night game, and all I hear are roars from the crowd when the Patriots (road team) make a good play. When Tampa gets a first down or a big play...crickets. Just sayin.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:15 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,059,483 times
Lots of northeast transplants in the Tampa area so not really shocking.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:49 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,698,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
My son was 5 when the Rams left for St. Louis, as a child he had a Rams helmet, Ram posters, some of which we still have in the garage. But as an adult he is not a Ram fan, he is a USC fan through and through. He now lives on the East Coast and still wears his USC jersey on game days.

I am trying to get him into being a Ram fan like he once was as a 5 year old. Not sure if I can succeed, even if they win, but I can try.
Agreed. I was 9 when the Rams left. My dad was a big Rams fan but at the time I wasn't as big of a fan of watching sports as I am now. Growing up I rooted hard for all of the other LA teams and it was easy developing that bond with them. I tried being a Charger for a while since they were the closest. Now that the Rams are back, I'm a fan, but it still feels a bit awkward, knowing they were just in another. I'm still getting use to having a team back.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Guys, is the NFL to Tampa backfiring? Watching this Thursday night game, and all I hear are roars from the crowd when the Patriots (road team) make a good play. When Tampa gets a first down or a big play...crickets. Just sayin.
You have to lose a team to get that kind of treatment. The Patriots were drawing 20,000 fans to their games at times in the 90's but you don't here that fanbase ever get bashed. They lucked out with the current dynasty and Kraft coming in to save the team from relocating.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:45 PM

150 posts, read 86,162 times
Quote:
You have to lose a team to get that kind of treatment. The Patriots were drawing 20,000 fans to their games at times in the 90's but you don't here that fanbase ever get bashed. They lucked out with the current dynasty and Kraft coming in to save the team from relocating.
Interesting, I did not know that part of the NE Patriots history. Of all people, Roger Goodell actually worked behind the scenes with Kraft to keep the Pats around the Boston area (SI link)

Old 10-10-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googol View Post
Interesting, I did not know that part of the NE Patriots history. Of all people, Roger Goodell actually worked behind the scenes with Kraft to keep the Pats around the Boston area (SI link)
Precisely. So before people bash LA. I'd like them to look at similar situations around the league at how easy it can be for any market to lose a team. Even so call "passionate NFL cities" are vulnerable. A few losing seasons, a bad stadium situation, and owners who don't have deep pockets is all it takes.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:41 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,012,821 times
Quote:
Precisely. So before people bash LA. I'd like them to look at similar situations around the league at how easy it can be for any market to lose a team. Even so call "passionate NFL cities" are vulnerable. A few losing seasons, a bad stadium situation, and owners who don't have deep pockets is all it takes.

A perfect example is how Cleveland lost the original Browns to Baltimore.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
A perfect example is how Cleveland lost the original Browns to Baltimore.
Yup, teams like the Bengals, Jaguars, Bucs meet the criteria. Rare sellouts, small markets but luckily for them they have newish stadiums. If they had their current situation but were playing in an old stadium, they would easily be in discussion for relocation.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:55 AM

81 posts, read 32,850 times
The NFL always wanted the LA market. But they needed an owner with deep pockets to help them get a new stadium there. The Rams owner has very deep pockets. The Chargers and Raiders owners, not so much. Part of the deal the NFL approved for relocation was the Chargers would have a year to work things out in San Diego, or they would get to relocate to LA. Blame the Spanos family for the Chargers move. It was about the money and blocking the Raiders from moving to LA. The Rams also would rather have the Chargers as a future tenant of their new stadium than the Raiders. If either team (Rams or Chargers) were forced to share the LA market with the Raiders, the Raiders would have sucked all the oxygen out of the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or