U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 09:02 AM

141 posts, read 93,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The team announced the paid attendance at only 60,000, and those are team figures which usually are inflated. To most the 90.,000 seat stadium appeared half full. Tickets were going for $6. Again this was their first game in their new city when excitement should have been high.
For the casual fan its difficult to get excited after a 4-12 season. I'm a die hard Rams fan and the excitement was plenty for the first game. Right now my guess is that there's way more casual fans than die hard fans since the city has been without the NFL for over 20 years. With winning that will tilt the other way. Give it time.

Last edited by GoJohnnyGo; 09-14-2017 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 AM

3,171 posts, read 4,636,378 times
Quote:
The team announced the paid attendance at only 60,000, and those are team figures which usually are inflated. To most the 90.,000 seat stadium appeared half full. Tickets were going for $6. Again this was their first game in their new city when excitement should have been high.

60,000 for the opening game in the 2nd largest city in the U.S. AND probably the largest metro area supporting 2 teams I would call pathetic.

If LA had only the Rams moving back, the city would support that adequately (and just adequately). Having both the Chargers and Rams both vying for the LA fan's allegiance is going to divvy up the base where neither does well. LA is a notoriously bad football city. Why did the Raiders AND Rams leave in the first place for much smaller markets?

I have lost interest in the NFL over the last decade much like many others. The over the top greed from owners and players coupled with the whiney snowflake players with all their idiotic posturing and protests sickens me. I'm a Vikings fan who seldom watches a complete game anymore of theirs. I never missed a game not that many years ago. I don't watch other games except for occasional glances now. Advertisers and owners are you listening?

Old 09-14-2017, 09:20 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,414,215 times
If either team wins consistently, they will pack the fans in.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:41 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,532,610 times
This is going to happen more around the NFL, simply because watching on TV (whether at home or at a bar) is a great experience. It definitely beats being in most parts of an NFL stadium.

As an LA football fan, I'm actually pretty puzzled at fans in other cities who willingly choose to sit way up at the top of the stadiums in Denver, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Houston, and many more. Like seriously, are people really that eager to "be in the building" that they'll sit way up there, with barely a view, rather than watch on TV?

That being said, I actually might go to the Rams/Redskins game this Sunday as ticket prices are very reasonable.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:15 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,011,689 times
Los Angeles supports winners. Last years "Honeymoon" with the return of the Rams is over with. The attendance was a direct result of their 4-12 record. However (they did sell 60,00 tickets) my gut feeling is, if they continue to play like they did against Indy, the Rams will draw fans to the 93,000 stadium known as the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

In fact I am betting they will have more fans this week than what they did on the opening weekend.

No one loses with the Rams move to LA, not the Rams (worth twice as much now), and not the NFL (A new state of the art stadium to host Super Bowls). And certainly not the city of Los Angeles.

Well maybe St. Louis loses.

Last edited by Just One of the Guys; 09-14-2017 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 12:45 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,925,208 times
One team... fine.... but who in the hell thought TWO NFL TEAMS in LA would be a good idea???

Old 09-14-2017, 01:50 PM

10,459 posts, read 5,922,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
This is going to happen more around the NFL, simply because watching on TV (whether at home or at a bar) is a great experience. It definitely beats being in most parts of an NFL stadium.

As an LA football fan, I'm actually pretty puzzled at fans in other cities who willingly choose to sit way up at the top of the stadiums in Denver, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Houston, and many more. Like seriously, are people really that eager to "be in the building" that they'll sit way up there, with barely a view, rather than watch on TV?

That being said, I actually might go to the Rams/Redskins game this Sunday as ticket prices are very reasonable.
Don't get me wrong, I'm in your camp. I'll go to a game very few years but it's an all day affair. But for many it's not just he view, it's the entire experience starting with the tailgate. It is more exciting to watch with big crowd, even if you can't see well.

But the point is made with your last line. If tickets are very reasonable that means there is little demand. And we haven't even started the season yet, the Rams are 1-0 and who knows how they will be?

As the poster just said above me moving 2 teams to Los Angeles was idiotic, screw those greedy bastards who jobbed the good fans in SD and St Louis. I hope they play to USFL crowds.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:49 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,358,168 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm in your camp. I'll go to a game very few years but it's an all day affair. But for many it's not just he view, it's the entire experience starting with the tailgate. It is more exciting to watch with big crowd, even if you can't see well.

But the point is made with your last line. If tickets are very reasonable that means there is little demand. And we haven't even started the season yet, the Rams are 1-0 and who knows how they will be?

As the poster just said above me moving 2 teams to Los Angeles was idiotic, screw those greedy bastards who jobbed the good fans in SD and St Louis. I hope they play to USFL crowds.
But the greedy owner moving the Rams to St. Louis was okay? Rams had one of the lower attendance rates in the NFL in St. Louis for years. Even in The Colesium the Rams are drawing in more people in LA.

The move makes perfect sense for the Rams who should never had left LA to begin with.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:59 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,532,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
One team... fine.... but who in the hell thought TWO NFL TEAMS in LA would be a good idea???

It's not the 2nd team that's a bad idea necessarily, it's WHO the 2nd team is....everybody in their right mind knows it should've been the Raiders moving back here. It would've been amazing, the NFL would've made a lot more money (attendance, TV viewership, marketing).

Old 09-14-2017, 07:14 PM

387 posts, read 146,888 times
I would rather see the Raiders in Vegas than an NFL team in Los Angeles. Too much traffic. Too much crime if you park your car in neighborhoods near the stadium. Good luck not getting your car broken into if you go to a USC game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or