U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:32 PM

5,547 posts, read 3,693,741 times

Advertisements

The Chargers in a sub-NFL sized stadium is a huge mistake. Tends to set the bar low for them in LA, or Orange County.

Eventually, (2020), both teams will play at the new Inglewood Stadium. How has this played out in other areas? The biggest comparison would be with the Giants/Jets at The Meadowlands. Both teams in NY are somewhat struggling, but the Giants had a good season in 2016. But history has shown the team that has the biggest success wins the attendance race.

The last two seasons at The Meadowlands has been very close between the two teams, but prior to that the Giants had greater numbers. Guess what? That is when they were mostly winning! The Jets, on the other hand, have not been to the playoffs since the 2010 season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 07:12 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
It's not the 2nd team that's a bad idea necessarily, it's WHO the 2nd team is....everybody in their right mind knows it should've been the Raiders moving back here. It would've been amazing, the NFL would've made a lot more money (attendance, TV viewership, marketing).
Exactly.

It's not like L.A. never had two teams in one before.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:22 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,230,719 times
<shrugs> The way I see it. LA wanted the NFL and got it. Not only one team, but two teams. Now you don't want to support those teams if they're not winners? I'm glad the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas. No offense to those Oakland residents, but if the Raiders have to move, I think moving to Vegas is a great idea. I think Vegas will support the Raiders better than LA.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:47 AM

23,638 posts, read 33,429,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Both the Rams and Chargers are not coming near to filling their stadiums.

The NFL Is Seriously Concerned With Empty Stadiums

Of course, a new state of the art stadium is coming to Inglewood that will house both teams. But not until 2020.

As for the 49er's, the combination of a poorly designed stadium that puts most fans in the summer/fall heat with a poor team has been a disaster.

IMO, these problems for California NFL teams are somewhat temporary, but they need to compete to ultimately be successful.
For it to backfire, I would have to have thought it was a good idea in the first place. I thought 2 teams were a terrible idea, I thought it should be ONLY the Raiders or Rams if you do it, I thought LA should not have gotten a team in the first place.

The Rams will be okay if they can get themselves into playoff contention somehow. The Chargers are in far more trouble IMO.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:46 AM

2,011 posts, read 2,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
It's not the 2nd team that's a bad idea necessarily, it's WHO the 2nd team is....everybody in their right mind knows it should've been the Raiders moving back here. It would've been amazing, the NFL would've made a lot more money (attendance, TV viewership, marketing).
I agree, the Raiders in LA from a fan point of view may have been the perfect fit. But the NFL realized from an NFL point of view the rowdy crowds that surely would've come was not what the NFL wanted.

IMO, the last thing the NFL was going to do was put the Raiders in LA, especially with the Rams already there.

I still remember there being more action in the stands than on the football field the last time the Rams and Raiders both called LA their home. Even the players were looking up into the stands.

Last edited by Just One of the Guys; 09-15-2017 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-15-2017, 03:18 PM

10,460 posts, read 5,926,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
<shrugs> The way I see it. LA wanted the NFL and got it. Not only one team, but two teams. Now you don't want to support those teams if they're not winners? I'm glad the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas. No offense to those Oakland residents, but if the Raiders have to move, I think moving to Vegas is a great idea. I think Vegas will support the Raiders better than LA.
The Raiders belong in Oakalnd, the Chargers belong in San Diego. I have no idea about the Rams. Seems St Louis was pretty good to them seeing as they stunk the entire time they were there outside of Haley's Comet also known as Kurt Warner.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:47 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,258,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The Raiders belong in Oakalnd, the Chargers belong in San Diego. I have no idea about the Rams. Seems St Louis was pretty good to them seeing as they stunk the entire time they were there outside of Haley's Comet also known as Kurt Warner.
I agree with the Chargers in San Diego but I actually like the idea of the Raiders moving to Vegas. It would be a good fit for them IMO. I actually liked it when the Rams moved to LA.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:04 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,698,634 times
The Rams will be fine and are in a far better situation. The support in St. Louis was extremely overrated. It's a much smaller stadium and the top decks were always empty. St. Louis barely supported the football Cardinals either. They were already having issues with attendance in 1998 in St. Louis but lucked out with the GSOT years. The Rams were also always dead last in just about every financial category. They made the right move coming to LA.

The NFL in LA is a long-term situation, and the Rams and Chargers need to earn the fans, not the other way around. Both teams have a chance but they need to regrow their roots and the bond needs time to develop. They are up against other teams in the region who have stuck with LA through thick and thin and those franchises deserve the priority of support. The Rams and Chargers still have the stench of St. Louis and San Diego all over them and it will take time to truly make them LA teams. The new Inglewood Stadium and planned re-brands should help big time.

The best example? Look at the Clippers. Also moved in from SD, didn't have much fan support or value to start and had to compete against the Lakers. Look at the Clippers now. Awesome support, sell out every game, are highly profitable and the 6th most valuable team in the league. If the lowly Clippers can do it any team can do it. Just needs time.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:05 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,258,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
The Rams will be fine and are in a far better situation. The support in St. Louis was extremely overrated. It's a much smaller stadium and the top decks were always empty. St. Louis barely supported the football Cardinals either. They were already having issues with attendance in 1998 in St. Louis but lucked out with the GSOT years. The Rams were also always dead last in just about every financial category. They made the right move coming to LA.

The NFL in LA is a long-term situation, and the Rams and Chargers need to earn the fans, not the other way around. Both teams have a chance but they need to regrow their roots and the bond needs time to develop. They are up against other teams in the region who have stuck with LA through thick and thin and those franchise deserve the support they get. Rams and Chargers still have the stench of St. Louis and San Diego all over them and it will take time to truly make them LA teams.

The best example? Look at the Clippers. Also moved in from LA, didn't have much fan support or value to start and had to compete against the Lakers. Look at the Clippers now. Awesome support, sell out every game, are highly profitable and the 6th most valuable team in the league.
You get a rep for that! The Rams are likely to stay in Los Angeles.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:08 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,698,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
You get a rep for that! The Rams are likely to stay in Los Angeles.
The Rams will be in LA for the rest of our lifetimes or until the league folds. That $2.6 billion dollar stadium is well under construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or