Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 01:03 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,016,641 times

Advertisements

Not to digress from the LA attendance woes, but did any of you watch the Sunday Night game last night? I thought I saw a ton of empty seats there in Atlanta, which is really strange. These are the Super Bowl caliber Falcons opening up their brand new stadium against the Green Bay Packers and I felt like many of the lower level sections had a bunch of empty seats. Upper levels were more empty, naturally.

It looked really odd. I'm wondering if anybody else noticed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 01:20 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,606,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
The Chargers have lost two games by missed field goals. They really aren't that far off.

So that means they are 0-2. And what about last year too? You are right, right now they are not too far off, but I do think they are still headed in different directions.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:23 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,606,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rams-ch...011610799.html

More press about the horrible attendance by both teams. USC outdrew them both combined this past weekend.

LA supports teams that win. When either team becomes playoff caliber, they will draw fans. There is no doubt in my mind. Just ask the Clippers.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:26 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,145,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
So that means they are 0-2. And what about last year too? You are right, right now they are not too far off, but I do think they are still headed in different directions.
I'm just saying, they've at least been competitive and both games came down to the very end. It's a solid team but they haven't been able to close out games. They aren't bad by any means.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
LA supports teams that win. When either team becomes playoff caliber, they will draw fans. There is no doubt in my mind. Just ask the Clippers.

The Dodgers as well. They haven't won since 1988 and always lead in attendance.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:36 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,549,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Not to digress from the LA attendance woes, but did any of you watch the Sunday Night game last night? I thought I saw a ton of empty seats there in Atlanta, which is really strange. These are the Super Bowl caliber Falcons opening up their brand new stadium against the Green Bay Packers and I felt like many of the lower level sections had a bunch of empty seats. Upper levels were more empty, naturally.

It looked really odd. I'm wondering if anybody else noticed it.
70K was in attendance. They made it so that the fan experience would be great...so fans will be all over the stadium.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:27 AM

33,077 posts, read 12,337,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Well the Rams had their 50th season in L.A. last year, believe it or not.
50th season in The Southland. They played in Anaheim for 15 of those 50 seasons.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:58 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,724,854 times
For various reasons, the Rams have always been one of my second teams. So I was glad they returned to LA. I was stumped as to why the Chargers moved there as well.

I watched the USC-Texas game Saturday night and was amazed that the Coliseum was sold out or at least looked like it. Then the next day, the Rams-Skins games features noticeable empty seats and lots of Redskins fans- HTTR by the way.

Good grief, can't LA just learn to love the Rams? They have had some pretty good years there. They are a football team and I assume football does not lose its appeal once you cross into the LA metropolitan area.

What gives?

Old 09-19-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
For various reasons, the Rams have always been one of my second teams. So I was glad they returned to LA. I was stumped as to why the Chargers moved there as well.

I watched the USC-Texas game Saturday night and was amazed that the Coliseum was sold out or at least looked like it. Then the next day, the Rams-Skins games features noticeable empty seats and lots of Redskins fans- HTTR by the way.

Good grief, can't LA just learn to love the Rams? They have had some pretty good years there. They are a football team and I assume football does not lose its appeal once you cross into the LA metropolitan area.

What gives?

I've explained this over and over. USC has been in LA over 100 years. They've developed a long connection with the city. The Rams left LA for 21 years and have been back one. They lost an entire generation of fans. My generation.

My generation's fandom is split up with many different teams. The Rams will have to earn the fanbase back and develop the next generation just like LA's other teams have done. This is not an overnight thing. It will take years.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:48 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,579,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

What gives?
I grew up playing Pop Warner football in the Los Angeles area. As a kid it was THE sport. Now as a father and I can tell you kids here are not into the way we were. It's not even close. Long Beach Poly High School has been putting players in the NFL for decades. And they recently got rid of their JV team because they just don't have enough kids to sustain it. Basketball and Soccer are the preferred sports now. At least that's case here in Southern California.

Make no mistake. Football is still big here because there's so many people. But the clear trend is downward. I bring this up because the NFL can't win over L.A. with only the middle aged crowd. They need the youth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football