U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 10:50 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,700,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I grew up playing Pop Warner football in the Los Angeles area. As a kid it was THE sport. Now as a father and I can tell you kids here are not into the way we were. It's not even close. Long Beach Poly High School has been putting players in the NFL for decades. And they recently got rid of their JV team because they just don't have enough kids to sustain it. Basketball and Soccer are the preferred sports now. At least that's case here in Southern California.

Make no mistake. Football is still big here because there's so many people. But the clear trend is downward. I bring this up because the NFL can't win over L.A. with only the middle aged crowd. They need the youth.
Agreed. That's why people need to stop focusing on the short-term. This is barely year 2. Currently the primary Rams supporters are former fans. They left when I was 9 and my generation moved on to other teams. Now they need to focus on youngsters growing up to create a new tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 12:51 PM

11,992 posts, read 17,507,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I've explained this over and over. USC has been in LA over 100 years. They've developed a long connection with the city. The Rams left LA for 21 years and have been back one. They lost an entire generation of fans. My generation.

My generation's fandom is split up with many different teams. The Rams will have to earn the fanbase back and develop the next generation just like LA's other teams have done. This is not an overnight thing. It will take years.
Well, 1946 is nothing to sneer at.

I remember when the Rams left LA. It seemed that nobody cared. It certainly was not like when the Colts left Baltimore or the Dodgers left Brooklyn.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:52 PM

11,992 posts, read 17,507,951 times
Quote:
I grew up playing Pop Warner football in the Los Angeles area. As a kid it was THE sport. Now as a father and I can tell you kids here are not into the way we were. It's not even close. Long Beach Poly High School has been putting players in the NFL for decades. And they recently got rid of their JV team because they just don't have enough kids to sustain it. Basketball and Soccer are the preferred sports now. At least that's case here in Southern California.

Make no mistake. Football is still big here because there's so many people. But the clear trend is downward. I bring this up because the NFL can't win over L.A. with only the middle aged crowd. They need the youth.
Interesting. My kid plays soccer too and barely watches football. Same with his friends.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well, 1946 is nothing to sneer at.

I remember when the Rams left LA. It seemed that nobody cared. It certainly was not like when the Colts left Baltimore or the Dodgers left Brooklyn.

21 years and a lost generation is a big deal. That will break any bond.

Who's going to go to games when the owner is trying to leave? Only a fool would waste money on that.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:36 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,287,200 times
Quote:
21 years and a lost generation is a big deal. That will break any bond.
And their timing couldn't have been worse. They are coming back trying to win a generation that doesn't watch TV like the last generation did. On top of that, they are not into sports in general the way we were. And they are doing it in a city with a zillion other forms of entertainment. The NFL is an old man's game. They will have to change that perception to win over Los Angeles.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
And their timing couldn't have been worse. They are coming back trying to win a generation that doesn't watch TV like the last generation did. On top of that, they are not into sports in general the way we were. And they are doing it in a city with a zillion other forms of entertainment. The NFL is an old man's game. They will have to change that perception to win over Los Angeles.

Yup. The NFL left when I was 9. Kids growing up with me are now in our 30's. That's who the Rams lost by leaving. It was a stupid decision back then. Now, they'll have to earn us back. Simple as that.

I'm on board with the Rams and I'll be supporting them but they still feel like a St. Louis. It will take some time. Most of my peers around the same age have developed different allegiances over the years.

I know plenty of people who love all of the LA teams but then became devoted to teams like the Cowboys, Redskins, Seahawks, Niners, etc. It's going to take time. That what happens when you uproot.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:06 PM

6,593 posts, read 3,645,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
For various reasons, the Rams have always been one of my second teams. So I was glad they returned to LA. I was stumped as to why the Chargers moved there as well.

I watched the USC-Texas game Saturday night and was amazed that the Coliseum was sold out or at least looked like it. Then the next day, the Rams-Skins games features noticeable empty seats and lots of Redskins fans- HTTR by the way.

Good grief, can't LA just learn to love the Rams? They have had some pretty good years there. They are a football team and I assume football does not lose its appeal once you cross into the LA metropolitan area.

What gives?
The Chargers moved to get a share of the luxury box income and to use the Los Angeles name when marketing merchandise. Ask the City of Anaheim and the MLB Los Angeles of Anaheim team how that works. They hope things will turn like the Clippers finally did with one draft choice and a league decision on one of their superstar's free agency movement.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 AM

163 posts, read 96,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
This is going to happen more around the NFL, simply because watching on TV (whether at home or at a bar) is a great experience. It definitely beats being in most parts of an NFL stadium.

As an LA football fan, I'm actually pretty puzzled at fans in other cities who willingly choose to sit way up at the top of the stadiums in Denver, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Houston, and many more. Like seriously, are people really that eager to "be in the building" that they'll sit way up there, with barely a view, rather than watch on TV?

That being said, I actually might go to the Rams/Redskins game this Sunday as ticket prices are very reasonable.

I'd say you have a point, although watching every NFL game in a bar/at home has been an option for over 20 years now.

I'd also say I'd rather sit up higher at a football game. It helps me see the entire field better.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:52 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,490,796 times
I live close to LA, and I haven't talked to one person out here yet that gives two craps that either of these teams are here. This is a Raiders and USC Town.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:26 PM

2,013 posts, read 2,014,761 times
Quote:
The Dodgers as well. They haven't won since 1988 and always lead in attendance.

You are right, even without winning since 1988, they have been competitive winning the last four division crowns. But in the Frank McCourt years, the Dodger fans boycotted them and I was included. I wasn't going to spend one penny on the Dodgers.

And the Dodgers market themselves like no other team in professional sports, so much so that we even buy Brooklyn Dodger merchandise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or