U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:41 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm sure not a surprise to anyone but I don't think this is an outrageous request. It has become a major topic for the last few years and I think activism should be encouraged. Count me in for supporting this idea.

The nerve of NFL players wanting to bring attention to causes that affect them and their communities.
Bigger problem is black on black violence, but that's not what they're vocal about.

I give the Bucs a big chunk of $ every yr since I moved here in '09. I can stay home and likely will with this BS.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:53 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,464,596 times
They need to cut the ****. They are all replaceable.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:42 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,856,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
Imagine if one of these "activists" came out with a shirt at a game in Chicago saying "Brothers, lets stop killing each other"
These activist groups would slam and discredit that guy immediately. He'd probably get booed off the field.
Why do you think that? Gang violence in Chicago is a major problem. That is certainly a worthy cause to support. Not sure why anyone either side of the political spectrum would be against that.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:43 PM

6,608 posts, read 10,669,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Why do you think that? Gang violence in Chicago is a major problem. That is certainly a worthy cause to support. Not sure why anyone either side of the political spectrum would be against that.
The objection of some, perhaps many, is the not the merits or demerits of any social problem or political issue.

The objection of some, perhaps many, is that NFL broadcasting should not be the venue for expressions of social and political views. For many fans, the very purpose of the NFL, and other entertainment, is to escape for a few hours from politics and social problems, even from family and personal problems, to live in a fantasy world. And on top of that, lots of people make money from it.

But apparently NFL executives, and their partners in entertainment broadcasting and advertising, have calculated that they can make even more money by politicizing the NFL, because political theater has cheap inputs and generates high revenue from gullible people, like many other forms of cheap entertainment. I get that.

And these executives will not cry because relatively few core fans are turned off.

And most of those core fans turned off will find better things to do as well.

So do what you will.

Good Luck!

Old 09-21-2017, 03:04 PM

5,222 posts, read 5,088,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
For many fans, the very purpose of the NFL, and other entertainment, is to escape for a few hours...

That's it. That's all I want from the NFL (or Major League Baseball). Just let me have a few hours where all I need to think about is watching people play a game. I promise, I won't forget about the ills of the world in those few hours. Just let me have them. Please.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:21 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,688,357 times
Quote:
Because it doesn't fit the narrative. Of course it's a problem and a very worthy cause one that all these groups/athletes ignore and avoid.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:15 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,623,052 times
Go ahead and do that NFL and watch this fan turn the TV off. Many have already done so with the kneeling to the national anthem as you are alienating a VERY large chunk of the audience when that happens. I really do not believe the NFL wants to make this more political as they know who pays the bills and it's not the activists, neither through actual attendance or ad revenue from watching the games.

I'd fully support Kaep, Bennett, Lynch and others to stop playing altogether and full time back their causes. Life is bigger than sports, right? Your job isn't where you make your political stand although you can use your fame off the field to further your cause if you so desire, I fully support that.

I'm paying my money for football, not to be subjected to your political agenda. If I choose to pay to attend a speaking engagement the players give after "work" (ie. the game) then let's talk politics at that point.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:49 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,856,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
And most of those core fans turned off will find better things to do as well.

So do what you will.

Good Luck!
I am at the point where the only thing that turns me off is all the over reaction by other supposed football fans who can't apparently ignore 5 seconds of players kneeling, raising their fist or doing whatever it is they do.

I'm completely indifferent to any of the "activism" shown during the game broadcast. It has zero effect on my enjoyment of watching the game. And it has zero effect on my daily life outside of the game.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:26 AM

6,608 posts, read 10,669,475 times
Quote:
I am at the point where the only thing that turns me off is all the over reaction by other supposed football fans who can't apparently ignore 5 seconds of players kneeling, raising their fist or doing whatever it is they do.

I'm completely indifferent to any of the "activism" shown during the game broadcast. It has zero effect on my enjoyment of watching the game. And it has zero effect on my daily life outside of the game.
Fair enough.

As I mentioned a few times already, NFL executives, and their partners in broadcasting, entertainment and advertising, have already made their calculations: the NFL will not die over this issue; on the contrary, the consumer mix may change, and it may be all the more profitable for it.

Instead a potentially exististential threat to the NFL is the concussion issue. How convenient to have a profitable diversion from it.

Do you not see, Gladius, the double-edged sword that is being forged here? It could cut both ways at the behest of the holder. And men will fight for control over it.

Now that's entertainment!

Last edited by bale002; 09-22-2017 at 03:19 AM..

Old 09-22-2017, 07:43 AM

741 posts, read 607,719 times
I am glad they are doing this. It reinforces my stance of not watching games. People watch sports for entertainment, not to hear them speak about politics or current events. I'd rather see a sports masseuse give a rubdown on an sore back or leg, see some guys joking around on the sidelines, than this charade. These guys have all the time in the world to party w/o their GFs or wife in Vegas. Instead go sit-down with city officials, lawmakers, and the police commissioners and change it. Oh shoot, this will be Blue Bloods now.

If these great athletes want to protest, have a show dedicated to that instead of the game. Ohhh, ummm I see, they can't pay for that out of their pocket. They do it on the owner's dime

All they are achieving now is lowering their pay with less viewers which translates to less advertisers and revenue.
I heard the NBA is doing that too.
To me it is somewhat of a waste of time. The reason is because lawmakers and politicians are the ones who make the law the way it is for police officers to never be at fault when killing someone. Players and their lawyers or agents should be in the face of local lawmakers as opposed to John Q. consumer who can't change a dam thing.

Last edited by frankrj; 09-22-2017 at 08:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or