Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 02:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,326,194 times

Advertisements

Oh for the love of God......one more reason to not continue to support the NFL by not watching.

A group of four players sent the NFL a memo in August requesting league support and asking for a month to be dedicated to social activism, not long after commissioner Roger Goodell reportedly had talked to several players regarding their game-day activism efforts.

NFL players want month dedicated to activism

Old 09-21-2017, 04:46 AM

9,327 posts, read 14,243,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Oh for the love of God......one more reason to not continue to support the NFL by not watching.

A group of four players sent the NFL a memo in August requesting league support and asking for a month to be dedicated to social activism, not long after commissioner Roger Goodell reportedly had talked to several players regarding their game-day activism efforts.

NFL players want month dedicated to activism
I wrote an anonymous email to the NFL - which undoubtedly will get lost in the morass - warning that the NFL will continue to lose core fans if it allows the politicization of the NFL and its culture to continue.

But I have the impression that NFL executives, and their partners in mass media entertainment, broadcasting and advertising, calculate that it is more profitable to have a broader base of casual fans globally than core fans domestically.

Bottom line: those who are dismayed by the politicization of the NFL will get drowned out, it's mathematical.

No matter. I can find better things to do on Sunday afternoons and 9-minute highlight clips on YouTube, and next season I can cancel my subscription to NFL Game Pass.

Good Luck!

Old 09-21-2017, 06:29 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,229,352 times
Bill Burr strikes the nail squarely upon the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n3WgiMftaU

Can we please just be able to watch a game for a few hours without having to hear about some loathsome disease, social problem, or natural disaster?

Old 09-21-2017, 07:07 AM

4,847 posts, read 6,872,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Bill Burr strikes the nail squarely upon the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n3WgiMftaU

Can we please just be able to watch a game for a few hours without having to hear about some loathsome disease, social problem, or natural disaster?

Amen to the Bill Burr clip and what you said.

It's like every team in every sport has pink (breast cancer awareness) as one of their logo colors. I get it, women have breasts and breast cancer is bad. It's as if it's the only kind of cancer that matters. When have you tuned in with every team wearing yellow for prostrate cancer? Enough already.

If sports teams want to back a cause, do so on their websites or with a TV spot or newspaper article. Leave the games alone.

Athletes are employees of their teams. If an employee of a company has a cause that they involve their employer in without the employer's consent, they can plan on being fired. These clowns kneeling during the national anthem should be warned, then fired. They can pursue their causes on their own time when it's more fitting. Believe me, fans of the game will overwhelmingly back the OWNERSHIPS. Some left-wing loonies will complain, but most of them aren't watching the games anyway.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:20 AM

5,920 posts, read 6,431,868 times
I'd be happy to give them the month of August for their activism month.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:35 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,947,221 times
it's not "our" game

Old 09-21-2017, 08:03 AM

26,691 posts, read 41,625,813 times
I'm sure not a surprise to anyone but I don't think this is an outrageous request. It has become a major topic for the last few years and I think activism should be encouraged. Count me in for supporting this idea.

The nerve of NFL players wanting to bring attention to causes that affect them and their communities.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:20 AM

4,847 posts, read 6,872,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I'd be happy to give them the month of August for their activism month.

Clever. I like it.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:35 AM

9,327 posts, read 14,243,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
it's not "our" game
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
... their communities ...

NFL has become ethnic enclave.

Maybe soccer will become new national pastime after all.

Last edited by bale002; 09-21-2017 at 08:50 AM..

Old 09-21-2017, 09:36 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,389,497 times
Imagine if one of these "activists" came out with a shirt at a game in Chicago saying "Brothers, lets stop killing each other"
These activist groups would slam and discredit that guy immediately. He'd probably get booed off the field.
So much hypocrisy and ignorance with this so called movement.

I don't watch the NFL to deal with politics. If I wanted to get bombarded with nonsense I'd watch CNN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football