U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:33 AM

4,175 posts, read 4,157,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkor View Post
IMHO, one of the reasons behind the decline in the NFL is "optics". Too many players look like gang-bangers with tattoos and dreadlocks. Americans want to see clean-cut, presentable people on their screens, not what looks like the dregs of America. Dumps the skin graffiti, no hair outside the helmet, and improve the optics. I keep up with the scores and standings of my favorite teams, but long ago stopped trying to get past the waves of gag-reflex at the sight of dreadlocks etc., flying like a filthy mops out of player's helmets.

Clean-cut or seek employment elsewhere.
The NBA had this problem in the 2000's, most basketball players these days interview in trendy clothing and stylish suits.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:17 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,213,375 times
Now the idiot is trolling the NFL - wish he'd just stick to his job and quit w/ the extra curricular crap.

With 'son of a *****' comments, Trump tried to divide NFL and its players - Sep. 23, 2017

Old 09-23-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkor View Post
IMHO, one of the reasons behind the decline in the NFL is "optics". Too many players look like gang-bangers with tattoos and dreadlocks. Americans want to see clean-cut, presentable people on their screens, not what looks like the dregs of America. Dumps the skin graffiti, no hair outside the helmet, and improve the optics. I keep up with the scores and standings of my favorite teams, but long ago stopped trying to get past the waves of gag-reflex at the sight of dreadlocks etc., flying like a filthy mops out of player's helmets.

Clean-cut or seek employment elsewhere.
very well stated

Old 09-23-2017, 12:28 PM

3,176 posts, read 4,638,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Now the idiot is trolling the NFL - wish he'd just stick to his job and quit w/ the extra curricular crap.

With 'son of a *****' comments, Trump tried to divide NFL and its players - Sep. 23, 2017

I agree with you, there was no reason to interject into this and what he stated didn't help matters. However, it also didn't change the fact that the NFL DOES have to get some kind of handle on this, but it's their problem, not anything some government politician should get involved with.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:32 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,124,122 times
Quote:
Could the NFL collapse in the near future?
No.

Not as long as there is big money to be made.

Even at the expense of players' health.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:09 PM

6,654 posts, read 18,678,878 times
Any kind of sport that generates revenue should remind their players NOT to BITE the hand that feeds you.
Any player that causes a drop in the gate revenue due to their antics should have equal % reduced from their paycheck...team owners don' t print their money.
Every person has the right to their opinions...off the clock and not while in a players uniform.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:13 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,059,483 times
So its ok for athletes and sports commentators to get political but not ok for politicos to comment on sports issues?

Old 09-24-2017, 07:05 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,223,374 times
There is already a decline in TV ratings... if it continues the next TV contract will be impacted which will impact salaries. There is a trickle down effect. To be honest, i don't watch as much NFL as i used to. I keep up with it still but don't have the time or desire to sit down and watch several games on Sunday. There are several reasons, non of which have much to do with the antics of some players kneeling during the national anthem or the way the NFL seems to overlook an occasional domestic abuse case as long as there is no VIDEO! All of which are are abhorrent but still not enough to turn me off. I think the main reason i don't have as much of a desire to watch the NFL is the saturation of the product. You get NFL 24/7 and 365. Too much for me.

Personally i don't think the NFL will ever reach its peak again like it did just a few short years ago. It might, but not in their current direction. Will they decline to the point of no national TV contracts at all.. not any time soon but if they don't change their direction they might.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:11 AM

6,614 posts, read 10,675,825 times
I am committed this year, but this will be the last that I devote time and money to the NFL, by now irretrievably sullied by stupid political theater.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:21 AM

The stadium are till pretty much 50-60k people. NFL has too many games televised weekly and the blackout rule has been lifted, so people don't even need to go the stadiums anymore. Networks still pay a ton for NFL rights. No matter what POTUS says, I think the sport is still solidly the favorite of the American sportsfan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football