U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 AM

2,123 posts, read 4,317,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Being President of the United States has a variety of extra responsibilities that the avg citizens don't have....he takes an Oath of Office which includes supporting the Constitution. Infringing on an American's First Amendment Rights violates that oath. There are also laws in the country where he can't have undue influence on private enterprises:

18 U.S. Code 227 – Wrongfully influencing a private entity’s employment decisions by a Member of Congress or an officer or employee of the legislative or executive branch

(a) Whoever, being a covered government person, with the intent to influence, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation, an employment decision or employment practice of any private entity—
(1) takes or withholds, or offers or threatens to take or withhold, an official act, or
(2) influences, or offers or threatens to influence, the official act of another,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than 15 years, or both, and may be disqualified from holding any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.
(b) In this section, the term “covered government person” means—
(1) a Senator or Representative in, or a Delegate or Resident Commissioner to, the Congress;
(2) an employee of either House of Congress; or
(3) the President, Vice President, an employee of the United States Postal Service or the Postal Regulatory Commission, or any other executive branch employee (as such term is defined under section 2105 of title 5, United States Code).

You should charge him with a crime. But thanks for your opined post.

I see it as him exercising his 1st amendment rights. He made no order (executive) decreeing the owners to fire the SOB's ! He was not specific toward ANY employer. He stated what he'd like to see.

But again ... you should work toward getting him impeached, along with Maxine Waters

Old 09-25-2017, 09:56 AM

1,683 posts, read 3,688,759 times

when this is acceptable but standing for the anthem is not, there's a problem...

Old 09-25-2017, 10:08 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,286,010 times
Its not just protests dragging down NFL ratings. Of course that is the lighting rod issue people will flock to. But the NFL is dealing with an aging fan base that is not being replaced as quickly with younger fans. The younger generation is simply not as into football as the current one. And they definitely aren't sitting for 3 hours in front of a TV to consume it. Their are a variety of reasons for that. But the youth's perception of the game is changing very quickly. And not for the better.

Middle aged fans with an ax to grind will blame it on protests. But this was coming long before players started kneeling for the National Anthem. And seeing NFL owners support players in their rift with Trump tells you all you need to know. Do the owners really care? Of course not. But they recognize they have a real problem. Old guys may get a charge out of hearing Trump's comments. But owners realize the younger fan base they fighting to connect to don't feel the same way. And that's their future.

The NFL won't collapse. But its steadily losing ground.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:10 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,205,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
So now that all these owners have linked arms in protest, which one of them is going to hire Kaepernick? Such hypocrisy...put your money where you're mouth is. We'll see...
He couldn't keep his job with a bad Niners team because he sucked. NfL defensive coordinators figured him out. RGIII too.

Last edited by BucFan; 09-25-2017 at 11:50 AM..

Old 09-25-2017, 11:13 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,205,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
You should charge him with a crime. But thanks for your opined post.

I see it as him exercising his 1st amendment rights. He made no order (executive) decreeing the owners to fire the SOB's ! He was not specific toward ANY employer. He stated what he'd like to see.

But again ... you should work toward getting him impeached, along with Maxine Waters
We got Mueller on the job.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:14 AM

4,573 posts, read 7,057,201 times
I didn't say whether I personally think Kaepernick should be hired or not, just that what the owners do in front of the cameras to make themselves look good, politics de jour, and what they do behind closed doors are two different things. Wonder what will happen tonight at the Dallas game because Jerry Jones has been very clear in the past what he expects from his players. And I actually do think Trump went way too far with the SOB comment...I haven't even heard that phrase in many decades.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM

4,573 posts, read 7,057,201 times
Villanueva, Steeler player who came out alone to stand for the anthem, has top selling jersey as of today! He served several tours if duty. Said he got a lot of pressure from fellow teammates but had to do what he thought was right for him. Awesome!

Old 09-25-2017, 11:40 AM

3,853 posts, read 1,013,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post

when this is acceptable but standing for the anthem is not, there's a problem...
'

For the record, he stole that "celebration" from Vikings great John Randle.

Though when I heard about how JR did it (after he sacked a QB in jest - and had every Vikings player laughing their a--es off) it was pretty damn funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
And they definitely aren't sitting for 3 hours in front of a TV to consume it. Their are a variety of reasons for that.
The NFL won't collapse. But its steadily losing ground.

The commercials in a NFL game are unbearable for me. I also liked playing soccer - so for me, watching an EPL game isn't so bad understand the game and having loved playing it - having NO COMMERCIALS in a soccer game is the best part about it, to me.

But I get how Americans don't get it or aren't that into it. That said I think you make a good point on this generation - the MLS is growing, though it will NEVER be EPL or some of the other great European leagues, not by a long shot.

Quote:
.I haven't even heard that phrase in many decades.
LBJ had a potty mouth, as did Nixon and quite a few other presidents. Trump just said it out loud.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:42 AM

3,853 posts, read 1,013,457 times
Quote:
Villanueva, Steeler player who came out alone to stand for the anthem, has top selling jersey as of today! He served several tours if duty. Said he got a lot of pressure from fellow teammates but had to do what he thought was right for him. Awesome!
I didn't like that he didn't stand right up on the side line. Otherwise I get it.

It was pitiful that Tomlin said "I respect all the players' right to either stay inside or go into the stadium" and then said something to the effect that he wanted all the players to stay inside.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:44 AM

17,704 posts, read 8,854,347 times
Quote:
He was a Captain, and Army Ranger. He took an oath. He takes it seriously.

Odell Beckham is a disgrace. Tomlin isn't much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football