U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 PM

5,501 posts, read 2,330,959 times

Advertisements

CTE is some scary stuff and I think there will be a large drop in the number of kids playing. Over time, the NFL will get less talent and they may reach a tipping point.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chro...encephalopathy

Quote:
In September 2015, researchers with the Department of Veterans Affairs and Boston University announced that they had identified CTE in 96 percent of NFL players that they had examined and in 79 percent of all football players.[58]
Quote:
On July 25, 2017, the Journal of the American Medical Association released an updated study reporting that out of 111 brains of deceased former NFL players studied, 110 (99%) had CTE.[63] This also led to players retiring very early in their career.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:00 PM

2,749 posts, read 2,370,127 times
If the gladiators show up to entertain in the stadium then people will watch. If enough people are watching then gladiators will show up. I don't see the NFL collapsing because of this.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:37 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,878,758 times
The NFL hit its peak from 2002 - 2014. I don't think it will ever get back to the level it reached. I am not saying it isn't popular anymore - it's still easily the most popular sports league in this country. There are a host of issues plaguing the NFL. You have people boycotting the league because of players kneeling during the national anthem. On the other side you have people boycotting the league because Kaepernick doesn't have a job and some feel the league is racist. Then you have people boycotting the league because of how they've handled domestic violence situations. Deflategate was complete nonsense and a waste of money and time by the NFL. Compare that shame to how much time and money they spent with a guy like Josh Brown and there's your problem.

Having said all of that I doubt we'll see the NFL collapse anytime soon. It's still very popular and given its status anything that happens in the league will be magnified a lot more than other leagues. I'd still take it over MLB, NBA and NHL any day of the week.

At the youth level kids should not be playing full contact until 8th grade. Before that it should be flag football where kids learn the rules, the fundamentals and get used to a playbook.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:04 AM

6,612 posts, read 10,673,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The NFL hit its peak from 2002 - 2014. I don't think it will ever get back to the level it reached. I am not saying it isn't popular anymore - it's still easily the most popular sports league in this country. There are a host of issues plaguing the NFL. You have people boycotting the league because of players kneeling during the national anthem. On the other side you have people boycotting the league because Kaepernick doesn't have a job and some feel the league is racist. Then you have people boycotting the league because of how they've handled domestic violence situations. Deflategate was complete nonsense and a waste of money and time by the NFL. Compare that shame to how much time and money they spent with a guy like Josh Brown and there's your problem.

Having said all of that I doubt we'll see the NFL collapse anytime soon. It's still very popular and given its status anything that happens in the league will be magnified a lot more than other leagues. I'd still take it over MLB, NBA and NHL any day of the week.

At the youth level kids should not be playing full contact until 8th grade. Before that it should be flag football where kids learn the rules, the fundamentals and get used to a playbook.
I agree with everything in the above post, and would just add that the composition of the NFL is changing: the commercial base, the fan base, the player base.

The NFL could fade, and as mentioned it probably already has to some extent, but it is not facing collapse in the near future, unless you provide a very flexible definition of near.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:45 AM

6,559 posts, read 10,268,098 times
Contrary to the narrative, football isn't the only sport where CTE is an issue.

Dave Mirra was diagnosed with CTE after he committed suicide last year, and he was mainly a BMX racer.

Pretty much all action/high contact sport athletes are susceptible to CTE. That includes, but is not limited to, rugby, hockey, soccer, cycling, motor sports, skiing, speed skating, and wrestling. General rule of thumb - if you can be concussed partaking in your preferred sport, you are a candidate for CTE.

With that said, the NFL continues to shoot itself in the foot with its ham-fisted response to the issue, but that's another story in itself.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:24 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,122,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Contrary to the narrative, football isn't the only sport where CTE is an issue.

Dave Mirra was diagnosed with CTE after he committed suicide last year, and he was mainly a BMX racer.

Pretty much all action/high contact sport athletes are susceptible to CTE. That includes, but is not limited to, rugby, hockey, soccer, cycling, motor sports, skiing, speed skating, and wrestling. General rule of thumb - if you can be concussed partaking in your preferred sport, you are a candidate for CTE.

With that said, the NFL continues to shoot itself in the foot with its ham-fisted response to the issue, but that's another story in itself.
True. One other sport which is overlooked (if not forgotten) when it comes to CTE would be rodeo. There are many bronc and brahma bull riders which hit the dirt pretty awkwardly when they're bucked off.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:05 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,435,988 times
When I was a kid growing up all the boys in school followed football. Everyone had their team. Even the nerdy kids and those who did not play. Those days are GONE. We also have the feminization of America heading into it's second decade here on the good ole USA, were being alpha, strong and masculine is like having a disease anymore and round upon. Justin Beiber is who our young lads admire these days. Top that off with social media and the average kid living their life with two thumbs and an iPhone and the generations behind us won;t even know what football is or care to know.

Sad, but true!

Old 09-23-2017, 09:55 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkor View Post
IMHO, one of the reasons behind the decline in the NFL is "optics". Too many players look like gang-bangers with tattoos and dreadlocks. Americans want to see clean-cut, presentable people on their screens, not what looks like the dregs of America. Dumps the skin graffiti, no hair outside the helmet, and improve the optics. I keep up with the scores and standings of my favorite teams, but long ago stopped trying to get past the waves of gag-reflex at the sight of dreadlocks etc., flying like a filthy mops out of player's helmets.

Clean-cut or seek employment elsewhere.
Do you have a problem with Clay Matthews too or is it just black players with long hair? What about Troy P?

Old 09-23-2017, 10:04 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,414 times
I don't see it collapsing but will ratings continue to decline over the next few years? Probably so but it will still by far be the most popular sport. Will fewer youths play football? That trend will likely also continue. Will it have a negative effect on college and pro football? Not sure about that. As long as the playing field is equal and producing quality games I think the league will be fine. The NFL was still very popular in the 90s before the explosion of passing yards and TDs. Maybe that is where it ends up again if the quality of receivers and QBs goes down due to a shrunken talent pool to choose from.

Personally as a hardcore football fan I won't sweat it if the NFL becomes less popular and commercialized. I'll probably find it more entertaining that way.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:15 AM

929 posts, read 296,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
When I was a kid growing up all the boys in school followed football. Everyone had their team. Even the nerdy kids and those who did not play. Those days are GONE. We also have the feminization of America heading into it's second decade here on the good ole USA, were being alpha, strong and masculine is like having a disease anymore and round upon. Justin Beiber is who our young lads admire these days. Top that off with social media and the average kid living their life with two thumbs and an iPhone and the generations behind us won;t even know what football is or care to know.

Sad, but true!
I just don't see team sports as mattering to today's youth, whether its the NFL or other leagues. The players change teams all the time and it is become too big business for most to want to care. I remember as a kid the whole Yankee-Red Sox thing as a kid and living in a region where loyalties were divided. Kids argued, fought, etc... Ok, some of it was over the top for sure. But now that isn't what gets teenager's and adolescents juices flowing even if they play sports. Nerdy kids still often followed along back in the day...following college and pro teams was a big part of their lives. Like you said, now they've got other things on the mind. And the jocks generally I've come across still don't care- its almost uncool in a way. I've stated for years that these owners especially have paid WAY above what they should for franchises. Its coming back to bite them, if it hasn't already. Catering to the mega rich? Not if those future mega-rich tech geeks are the ones today not paying attention. Pro and college sports have become too big business and too much has changed for the worse too rapidly the past 20 years and it is starting to catch up to the NFL, MLB, NCAA, etc.. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football