Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the kneeling controversy ruined football for you?
Yes - I am done, I no longer care 40 33.90%
Maybe -It makes me less likely to care but I will watch occasionally 27 22.88%
No - It makes no difference 51 43.22%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 07:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
...I prefer football players to stick to sports while they're on the field, and I prefer the president to stick to politics while he's in the White House.

Just take the protests out of the stadium. Please. Football is supposed to be entertainment, not a political stage. And Dear Mr. President, you peahead. Just drop it. Knock it off. Leave my game alone!

Old 09-28-2017, 07:38 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

Just take the protests out of the stadium. Please. Football is supposed to be entertainment, not a political stage. And Dear Mr. President, you peahead. Just drop it. Knock it off. Leave my game alone!
American sports has always had social impact on our society.. Muhammad Ali Jessie Owens Roberto Clemente Frank Robinson Jackie Robinson Tommie Smith John Carlos, Steroids, Gay issues, Riggs BJ King...pretty much goes hand in hand....this isn't new.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:45 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I frankly don't care that much as much as I do about the blatant double standard by them. They only believe in free speech if it's their free speech. If players were to choose to take a knee in prayer because they don't like abortion and wanted to take a knee to pay tribute to the lives lost through abortion, there would be hell to pay and people would be fired and disciplined to no end.

They should keep politics out of the game, but if they choose not too, they shouldn't go and ostracize people who take an opinion they happen to not like. In any case, I'm watching the Packer game right now... or should I say I'm watching a rain delay as I type this post.

I have no respect for hypocrites who have double standards, and both political parties do. The difference is the nutcase lefties run the media right now and the more criticism they get, the more nutty they get. It's just chimps throwing feces at other chimps in the end... the more things change, the more they stay the same. The more you criticize someone, the more defensive they will get and take the opposite stance. The more you make things taboo, the more people want them. Simple human psychology.

I find it's helpful to try to live in someone else's perspective for awhile so I can understand both. It's a great way to help with emotional mastery.

Last edited by sholomar; 09-28-2017 at 07:53 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 01:09 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Before the Kaepernick ordeal started, it seemed to me tha...
That said, I prefer football players to stick to sports while they're on the field, and I prefer the president to stick to politics while he's in the White House.
Yeah I hear ya. I haven't watched network tv much since the election but I've heard the SNL, Jimmy Kimmel, cobert, the Tonight show, the Emmys Oscars etc are about comedy and entertainment.

Oh, and NFL games are about football, not just one more forum to bash Trump as a racist, misogynist, xenophobe, etc. Because there surely ain't no wife-beaters in the nfl by-golly.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:02 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
1 - Football is a sporting event. Not a political rally. Its where people go to escape work, politics etc and have a good time outside all the typical BS they face daily.

2 - Its OK to have an opinion and voice and protest things that you believe are wrong. Generally, you need to take those concerns to your police chief, your mayor, your county commissioner, your governor or senator. The United States, the Flag and the National Anthem represent YOUR country. The very thing that gives you the right to voice your opinion. When you disrespect the very thing that gives you your freedom, you are saying you do not care about freedom, you do not care about your country. You can dislike many aspects of what takes place around you and you need to challenge that, but being disrespectful to your flag, your anthem, your country will not fix anything and only brings disgrace to yourself. There are no doubt many things in America that need to be addressed and improved and even in my old age I would be willing to fight and die to fix them. But I will not disrespect the county that gives me the right to choose and live free.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:24 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I frankly don't care that much as much as I do about the blatant double standard by them. They only believe in free speech if it's their free speech. If players were to choose to take a knee in prayer because they don't like abortion and wanted to take a knee to pay tribute to the lives lost through abortion, there would be hell to pay and people would be fired and disciplined to no end.

They should keep politics out of the game, but if they choose not too, they shouldn't go and ostracize people who take an opinion they happen to not like. In any case, I'm watching the Packer game right now... or should I say I'm watching a rain delay as I type this post.

I have no respect for hypocrites who have double standards, and both political parties do. The difference is the nutcase lefties run the media right now and the more criticism they get, the more nutty they get. It's just chimps throwing feces at other chimps in the end... the more things change, the more they stay the same. The more you criticize someone, the more defensive they will get and take the opposite stance. The more you make things taboo, the more people want them. Simple human psychology.

I find it's helpful to try to live in someone else's perspective for awhile so I can understand both. It's a great way to help with emotional mastery.
Yeah, funny thing about that - the ACLU actually defends people whose opinions the vehemently disagree with, because they think everyone has the right to express opinions.

And when you find quotes from the President calling Tim Tebow an SOB because he was kneeling to express *his* opinions, then maybe you'll be making a valid point.

The reality is that NFL players have been expressing opinions for years. It's just THESE players and THESE opinions that have the President and his sycophants going crazy.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:52 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
Quote:
1 - Football is a sporting event. Not a political rally. Its where people go to escape work, politics etc and have a good time outside all the typical BS they face daily.
Football players are people too. When cops stop shooting blacks and getting away with it, they'll start standing. You're already putting politics into it when you decide to sing the national anthem at a sporting event. Why not just play the damn game?

Quote:
Its OK to have an opinion and voice and protest things that you believe are wrong. Generally, you need to take those concerns to your police chief, your mayor, your county commissioner, your governor or senator.
Have you ever been black? Typical whiny conservative. They're not disrespecting their country. They're not going to stand there and pretend that there's equality or fairness.

What's funny is the conservatives get all over the liberals for non-stop whining about Trump and his minions, and now the conservatives (including Trump) sound exactly the same. But instead of whining about how horrible Trump is, they're whining about how black people shouldn't be allowed to not be OK with rampant racism. And you've got everyone here saying "Lol they're all criminals anyway." Lock them up, mirite?

Old 09-29-2017, 12:17 PM

Nick Saban on anthem protests: ‘I … respect everyone’s rights not to be censored’
https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/a...nthem-protests

feel the same as you, Nick

Old 09-29-2017, 12:37 PM

and again....Vet "I found in the US Army so they can kneel......"

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/29/nf...tests-kneeling

Old 09-29-2017, 01:05 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post

There is a double standard on both sides - doesn't matter if you're a Republican or a Democrat. By and large a number of people only believe in free speech if it fits their agenda. Then when you have liberals freak out about something the conservatives call them soft and snowflakes and the same goes for when conservatives freak out about something they're called soft and a snowflake by the liberals. It also doesn't help that we have blatantly slanted media - FOX news for the right and Huffington Post for the left for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football