U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Has the kneeling controversy ruined football for you?
Yes - I am done, I no longer care 40 33.90%
Maybe -It makes me less likely to care but I will watch occasionally 27 22.88%
No - It makes no difference 51 43.22%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2017, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Denver 'burbs
21,873 posts, read 23,160,111 times
Reputation: 37276

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Well, we could all survive without football but wouldn't last long without cops. Our priorities are all out of whack.
Has anyone suggested otherwise?

As far as I can tell, no one is protesting the existence of law enforcement- or the military (since I've seen the same comment about soldiers).

 
Old 09-30-2017, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,222,762 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Has anyone suggested otherwise?

As far as I can tell, no one is protesting the existence of law enforcement- or the military (since I've seen the same comment about soldiers).
I read a lot of Facebook comments on the TB Bucs page and the number of misguided individuals trashing the team is kind of alarming. They are so clueless about this whole issue with silent protest and the purpose of it,
 
Old 09-30-2017, 07:23 AM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,881,732 times
Reputation: 2779
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I read a lot of Facebook comments on the TB Bucs page and the number of misguided individuals trashing the team is kind of alarming. They are so clueless about this whole issue with silent protest and the purpose of it,
This. So many fans who are upset believe the players and teams hate this country and hate the military.
 
Old 09-30-2017, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,177 posts, read 11,797,310 times
Reputation: 32193
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
totally disagree, obviously you have paid no attention to their contract and how it reads: yes, freedom of speech is important and we all have a right to express it, but not in the work place. They sign a contract that, among other things says; they are expected to stand during the pledge or the anthem with their helmets over their hearts. They are breaking their contract, plus there are so many better ways to protest how they feel. Do you really think, they are proving anything by what they are doing? When the advertisers start pulling back, the attendance starts slipping and money gets less and less, they might regret what they are doing. It is very possible they will win the argument but lose the fight.

John F S; so what country are you now living in if he is not your president? Suck it up, he is your president and mine and the rest of ours, like him or hate him. this is America.
Except this is false, there is no NFL rule requiring players to stand with their helmets over their hearts during the pledge or anthem - that's a fake internet meme claiming to prove something that is false.

Are NFL Players Required to Stand on the Field During the National Anthem?

And considering that some NFL owners stood or kneeled with their players, it's pretty safe to say there are no contractual provisions specifically requiring this either.

So no, they aren't breaking a contract that requires adhering to a rule that doesn't exist. And if their employers are ok with kneeling - as demonstrated by their participation in peaceful protest along with their players, and the fact that no one has been fired, that is pretty good confirmation that the employers don't feel that any contracts have been breached.

Stop claiming you know what is in a contract that you've never read.
 
Old 09-30-2017, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,987 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Reputation: 41778
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Anyone has the right to say what they want whenever they want. They do have to deal with the consequences of doing so. In this case, the NFL payers have the right to express their feelings and carry out a peaceful silent protest. If no one is going to punish them, what difference does it make if they "break" their contract? Their peaceful and silent protest did not prevent them from doing their job - playing a football game.

People keep harping on the fact that a person does not have the right to free speech at work. Of course they do. If their bosses are not going to punish them for doing it then pointing out they don't have that right is useless.
I guess you don't take signing a contract is important or biding in anyway and no, we do not always have the right to protest peacefully or not anytime we want without suffering consequences from time to time. What is so hard to understand about that?
 
Old 09-30-2017, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,987 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Reputation: 41778
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
They are allowed to express it in the workplace if their employer allows it. The extent to which it is allowed depends on the state, the NFL and each individual team. The president, regardless of how anyone feels about him, ought to stay out of it.

I have not read the NFL players contracts - have you?

Regarding whether or not the players have any idea what they are protesting....what makes you think they dont? I keep reading that comment but I don't see anything that supports it. Do you believe that everyone who stands for the National Anthem knows what they are standing for? I kind of wonder sometimes.

I see plenty of fans who don't remove their hats, who carry on conversations, continue walking toward the beer line, chew gum...all while the N.A is being played. Perhaps they should be asked to leave? Or does the expectation of a public demonstration to prove one's respect and patriotism extend only to the athlete?
No you are right, I have not read it, but I have heard it quoted on TV more than once this past few weeks. And yes, we have all seen fans who do not take off their hats or continue in conversation, but that doesn't make it right and they have not signed anything saying they will do such and such.

I agree, as long as the owners put up with what is going on, there will be no change. Do I think a player should be fired for the way these idiots are performing? Of course not. I still will argue with anyone who thinks they have a right to behave like 2 year olds.

Do I believe everyone who stands for the Anthem knows what it stands for? Yes, I do if they are older than about 6 or 8 years old. I have no problem with the players who choose not to sing if that is their choice, I have a problem with them talking or kneeling. It again, is back to respect.
 
Old 09-30-2017, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,987 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Reputation: 41778
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Except this is false, there is no NFL rule requiring players to stand with their helmets over their hearts during the pledge or anthem - that's a fake internet meme claiming to prove something that is false.

Are NFL Players Required to Stand on the Field During the National Anthem?

And considering that some NFL owners stood or kneeled with their players, it's pretty safe to say there are no contractual provisions specifically requiring this either.

So no, they aren't breaking a contract that requires adhering to a rule that doesn't exist. And if their employers are ok with kneeling - as demonstrated by their participation in peaceful protest along with their players, and the fact that no one has been fired, that is pretty good confirmation that the employers don't feel that any contracts have been breached.

Stop claiming you know what is in a contract that you've never read.
and how do you believe all you read on Snopes? If you do, you are certainly more gullible than many or think by referring to something they said as the gospel truth? You can stop claiming things you think you know as well.
 
Old 09-30-2017, 10:07 AM
 
1,373 posts, read 2,343,288 times
Reputation: 1043
Just an old ex high school football player here, but back in day, we would all stand w/or hand on our hearts for the national anthem then circle up around the coach on one knee and say the lords prayer, then go play 60 min of football. Truthfully listening to much of the garbage from the players and coaches the last week or so, believe the NFL is underestimating and out touch with much of there fan base. The clown that started all this crap is as big a fake as you could find, never registered to vote, donated to charity or worked to resolve a fake problem, lol. Are all cops good, course not, but 99% of the problems that people have w/a cop would never happen with compliance. When a cop pulls over sumone that they have been called on and said person is a convicted felon w/a firearm and resists cop and then a riot breaks out or a cop is called to a 7 11 to deal w/a problem, suspect tazzed twice w/no effect wresteles with cop over gun shot 3 times w/no effect(can u say crystall meth) then shot 4 more times to put crazed dopehead down more riots get a grip people. And the NFL wants this fight? They are gona wish they never got on the wrong side of this one. JMO so take with a grain of salt, but when it all shakes out welp told you so.

Last edited by waitingtundra; 09-30-2017 at 10:15 AM..
 
Old 09-30-2017, 10:09 AM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,511,805 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
rarog: all I can say about your comment and how hard their lives were is:BULL
i guess you lost the argument then. jumping straight to yelling. absolutely no content.

-------------

apparently lebron made a tweet supporting the nfl players or something like this, and dan gilbert got an insane number of extremely offensive racist messages on his phone. gotta love the country we live in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
How do you know most of the players have no idea why they're kneeling? There's also a big difference between what the players did and a bunch of nuts that riot and destroy public property. These players carried out a peaceful and silent protest and it did not prevent them from doing their job of playing a football game.
you're arguing with someone in cult trump who apparently believes guys like jimmy graham had an easy life growing up. these people are incredibly whiny. I still don't even know why we need the national anthem before a football game anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and how do you believe all you read on Snopes? If you do, you are certainly more gullible than many or think by referring to something they said as the gospel truth? You can stop claiming things you think you know as well.
I only believe what Donald Trump says. /s

Do you have any evidence that their contract requires them to stand through the national anthem?
 
Old 09-30-2017, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Denver 'burbs
21,873 posts, read 23,160,111 times
Reputation: 37276
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No you are right, I have not read it, but I have heard it quoted on TV more than once this past few weeks. And yes, we have all seen fans who do not take off their hats or continue in conversation, but that doesn't make it right and they have not signed anything saying they will do such and such.

I agree, as long as the owners put up with what is going on, there will be no change. Do I think a player should be fired for the way these idiots are performing? Of course not. I still will argue with anyone who thinks they have a right to behave like 2 year olds.

Do I believe everyone who stands for the Anthem knows what it stands for? Yes, I do if they are older than about 6 or 8 years old. I have no problem with the players who choose not to sing if that is their choice, I have a problem with them talking or kneeling. It again, is back to respect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and how do you believe all you read on Snopes? If you do, you are certainly more gullible than many or think by referring to something they said as the gospel truth? You can stop claiming things you think you know as well.


Rather that being disrespectful in your disagreement with another poster, I'd suggest finding the language in an NFL contract that supports what you are claiming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top