U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the kneeling controversy ruined football for you?
Yes - I am done, I no longer care 40 33.90%
Maybe -It makes me less likely to care but I will watch occasionally 27 22.88%
No - It makes no difference 51 43.22%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 01:47 AM

2,495 posts, read 3,634,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
How do you know most of the players have no idea why they're kneeling? There's also a big difference between what the players did and a bunch of nuts that riot and destroy public property. These players carried out a peaceful and silent protest and it did not prevent them from doing their job of playing a football game.
Hey don't let raging racist views get in the way of real issues plaguing a certain group in our society. As you've read, some know more about the reason for protesting than the protesters...

The stupid things you read on this forum sometimes.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:54 AM

131 posts, read 91,231 times
Personally, I don't think the NFL ought to play the National Anthem. Most of the time the guys on the sideline don't show any respect for the flag and a lot of the people in the stands get uncomfortable thinking about patriotism and stuff and want it to end as quickly as possible. That's okay though. It's who they are... the ones who do this. I think we're too diverse to expect each person to show proper respect to the flag when at a sporting event. For instance, people get embarrassed singing in a crowd in the U.S. so that you're not going to get 60,000 Americans belting out the National Anthem as a reverence for our nation and a display of national solidarity. The U.S., being a free country, gives each of us the liberty to not be slaves to conformity. We each have our own beliefs. I get it. I don't care about Trump. There's not a hairs difference between the two major party's at the national level so who says what up there don't amount to a hill of beans.

Having been a Cowboys fan these past about 50 something years I have no problem never watching them or any other NFL team again. Am I going to miss it? You bet. But the thing is these guys are ruining something that once brought people together for a few hours each Sunday in the Fall to enjoy watching fun rivalries between teams from different areas of the U.S. I still think guys like Emmett Smith, Larry Czonka, Franco Harris and all the other NFL players who just came to play the game were and are as close to being mortal Supermen as you can get.

But as far as what is going on in the NFL I guess it is different now. A lot of the players and some team owners see this as as a venue to denigrate and ridicule our great Republic. Maybe if we don't support these guys and their team owners they will step back and think about their real motivation for acting like petulant children. The fans will either be okay with their employees acting this way or we won't. To me it's not about them kneeling during the National Anthem. It is about the message they are delivering to me. "This is what we think about you fan b******s and you better get used to it. We don't give a s**t whether you like it or not. We don't give a s**t whether you love your country or not. We don't give a s**t whether you served your country or not. We don't give a s**t that those who have died for this country sacrificed themselves for us or not. We don't give a s**t! We're betting you b******s have so few ideals left that you won't sacrifice your precious 4 hours on Sunday to watch us superhumans do things you can only dream of. We know the owners might get a little nervous, but once you've proven you also don't give a s**t you'll be back. Because that's the kind of b******s you are."

As for me, my Cowboys days are over. And I refuse to be a b&%$h of the NFL, and so my days of watching pro football are over too. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:15 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

Rather that being disrespectful in your disagreement with another poster, I'd suggest finding the language in an NFL contract that supports what you are claiming.
I am no more disrespectful to those who differ from me than anyone else. It is all about opinion. I am the first to admit this. As for the contract, if you read all my responses you would realize, I do not say I know this for a fact. I do not, anymore than I believe what I read in regards to Snopes. Most of us have no real knowledge of what is fact and what is fiction. I believe we all have the right to disagree. That is all I am doing. Based on my experience as a mother of a professional athlete for several years I have a little knowledge on how these kids were raised (again generalizing) and how they think. I will maintain forever my view on disrespecting our flag. As I said not only am I a mother of an x pro player (not football) but I am from a very strong military family. In fact our son, who is the X player served in Desert Storm. And yes, most players are selfish and spoiled. they do not understand how well they have it.
I will continue to watch on Sundays, except for today. We are watching the Dodgers
End of story for me!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2017, 11:02 AM

6,652 posts, read 18,673,644 times
Maybe the player who said that people could stay home / not attend a game/ should have his name added to those recently released.
Many people forget that when hired they replaced someone and they also can be replaced.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times

Old 10-01-2017, 12:44 PM

6,402 posts, read 4,174,894 times
Well, they wanted our attention and now we are paying attention.

During the anthem for the Steelers/Ravens game, Big Ben stood up, hand over heart, and sang or at least mouthed the words to the anthem.

Switch to the other side and there was Joe Flacco, yukking it up with another player off camera, and laughing.

If you cannot take one minute to concentrate on what you are doing and show some respect during the anthem, how can you be expected to concentrate on the game? The first half demonstrates a total lack off effort on the Ravens. And again for the second week, I, a former (now) Ravens fan, could care less that they are getting blown away in a game!

Last edited by Cruzincat; 10-01-2017 at 12:55 PM..

Old 10-01-2017, 02:47 PM

6,402 posts, read 4,174,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
If you think the national anthem has anything to do with their poor play, you're insane. I guess you also think Delmon Young was being unprofessional when he was playing fantasy hockey in the dugout right before he came out and hit a pinch-hit HR to bury the Tigers in the playoffs.

If you're going to stop being a fan because some guys are upset about all the shootings of black people by cops (among other injustices) or because Trump continues to divide the country and whines when the oppressed complain about it, that's great. The NFL will live on without you sitting on your couch.
If you can't understand why people are upset that the players are protesting the flag and/or anthem, which has nothing to do with what they are actually trying to demonstrate against, then maybe you could put on a uniform and play in the NFL. They don't seem to understand either! You, too, can be booed!

Old 10-01-2017, 03:20 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,388 times
They're upset because they're sheep and will cry about anything that Donald Trump speaks out against. The blacks who are upset about inequality are horrible Americans, the Nazis in Virginia are wonderful people, and any pro-left news channel is fake news and the Devil.

The players do understand why they're protesting, even if you don't.

Why do we need the national anthem before a football game? Can anyone answer this? This is something I don't understand.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:58 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times
hey trump- they're still doin' it

Eight Seahawks join Michael Bennett by sitting during the national anthem

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...hem-on-sunday/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...tional-anthem/

Old 10-02-2017, 09:54 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,229,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
They're upset because they're sheep and will cry about anything that Donald Trump speaks out against. The blacks who are upset about inequality are horrible Americans, the Nazis in Virginia are wonderful people, and any pro-left news channel is fake news and the Devil.

The players do understand why they're protesting, even if you don't.

Why do we need the national anthem before a football game? Can anyone answer this? This is something I don't understand.
We don't need it. We also don't need sporting events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football