U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the kneeling controversy ruined football for you?
Yes - I am done, I no longer care 40 33.90%
Maybe -It makes me less likely to care but I will watch occasionally 27 22.88%
No - It makes no difference 51 43.22%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 02:31 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,235,889 times

Advertisements

I don't think I've ever watched more football than I did yesterday, and here I am at 4:28 getting ready to watch the Sunday Night game that I DVR'd last night because I couldn't watch it. Nobody tell me the score - don't spoil it.

Anybody that didn't see Spence's action as a premeditated stunt is fooling themselves. I guess he expected everyone else in the Indy stadium to leave as well?

Old 10-09-2017, 05:01 AM

72,027 posts, read 83,705,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Sports Illustrated
1 min
About 20 members of the San Francisco 49ers knelt during the national anthem.

-----
VP Pence left the stadium after seeing that.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/08/vi...ow_facebook_si
though I didn't see it happen if it really did, good for him!!!!

Old 10-09-2017, 05:04 AM

72,027 posts, read 83,705,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The same president who was a draft dodger, mocked John McCain a veteran, and mocked a gold star family - what a model for respect to our veterans and active duty servicemen and women.
He was not a draft dodger, I think you have him mixed up with Clinton. he did not mock a gold star family. He did mock John McCain and that was inexcusable to me. Explain what family he mocked and how you came up with him being a draft dodger. opinions are one thing, facts are something else. I do agree Trump should be concerned with other issues, but he is still right; the kneeling players are a disgrace. Do you or any of your liberal friends think athletes in other countries would turn their backs on their flag?

Old 10-09-2017, 06:17 AM

3,179 posts, read 4,643,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
though I didn't see it happen if it really did, good for him!!!!
May the SF 49ers go 0 -16. This is the team that started it and seems to want to perpetuate it. Love the fact that they're 0 -5.

Brent Musburger said since this crap started happening they've only won 2 games. Maybe they should start trying to kneel in the other team's endzone a few times.
Brent Musburger

@brentmusburger
Yo #49ers Since you instigated protest, 2 wins and 19 losses. How about taking your next knee in the other team's end zone ?

Old 10-09-2017, 06:48 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,836,706 times
Not that my family speaks for all veterans, but:

My mother did 21 years in the Coast Guard/Army (1986-2007). My father did 23 years, all Army (1988-2011). My mother did a tour in Iraq in 05-06, has diagnosed PTSD from that tour, a list of other injuries from over two decades of service, and is still fighting to get the compensation she deserves from her service, a whole decade after her retirement in November 2007. My father has back, heart, and knee issues from his service, that was diagnosed by the VA as being service-related injuries, and guess what? He doesn't have full disability, either...

Neither of my parents view Kap's kneeling as disrespectful to the flag. There are many other service members who agree with them. I shouldn't have to mention this, but my parents also are black and because of that have a heightened sensitivity to Kap's cause than the average non-black has...

This amazing military of this country that will work your ass to death, literally, tear your body to shreds, rip apart the fabric if your mind; the outstanding Armed Forces that have a veteran homelessness rate through the roof, a veteran and active duty suicide rate WAAAYYY above the national average, divorce rates above the national average...this amazing military that people put everything on the line to so proudly serve shows the gratitude it feels towards those who've served every time someone is denied full disability, shows itself with every welfare injustice (of which there are several) it boomerang back to those who've served. The Pentagon, the DoD, the VA, thank God there are literally millions of people who have served who can share testimony for just how much respect and gratitude the military has shown them in return...

Miss me with the flag and respect bit. This never had anything to do with the flag or service members, and Kaphas long clarified that. That so many of you continue to want to push contrary to his own statements, speaks greater volume towards your ignorance of several facets of the protest than any hot air you can spew on here...

Lastly, since the flag is a part of the discission, lets not cpntinue to ignore that the flag and its song were not created with the intent of every American being free and equal. Let's not continue to lie and deny about that. Let's also not continue to lie and deny the fact that even in 2017, there is a group of people (guess which one?), among others, but one group in particular, that is barely even 12% of the national population, that is not protected by the same rights as granted by the Constitution as others. Need an example of how that group isn't protected with the same fervencu and respect? I literally could name thousands and you all do to if you use your google...

I love this country, it's the only home I've ever known and I wouldn't rather live anywhere else. However, personally, as a man whose lived in black skin for 28 years, witnessed injustices towards myself and others around me that the typical white American isn't subject to, as someone who was taught a defiled, contrived, half-version of American history in school, as a son of ex-military still awaiting their due, I could give two ****s about the flag. I don't hate it---I also have no reason to support it either, because it's stated mission and it's reality are not the same. I am patriotic, but I don't live in this bubble so many of you do in which the flag is the sacred symbol of patriotism and protection for all. I don't have this misconception that to many, many, MANY people in this country, I am undervalued and not equal to many others. I don't marry peaceful protest, which is a right granted by the Constitution, with patriotism, of which this is far from the first act of protest against the American flag or anthem...

I wonder what the response would have been in August 2016 if a prominent white quarterback, one of the five elite QB's in the game, started by sitting or kneeling during the anthem for the same reasons (not the made up ones too many of you believe)? Wait, I know what wouldn't have happened...

Finally, as it relates to the sport, none of this kills my enjoyment of the game. I still love football and continue to support it...

Old 10-09-2017, 01:17 PM

1,582 posts, read 985,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

I've lived in black skin for 28 years,
I could give two ****s about the flag..I also have no reason to support it
Murk, I agree that the debate over American military is a complete sidebar/distraction.. The core of the protest (my opinion) is what you're essentially expressing ^. The protest is about Black players giving (White) America a middle-finger.

And White America is largely reacting with anger (& hurt), which I think is a natural reaction to be flicked off. Arguing about the military is sort of a passive-aggressive skirting of the real issue: Blacks & Whites often have different perspectives on our country (& it's symbols). Peace.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:57 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,873,358 times
Who are these *******s trying to kid?

Protests, Kneeling, Activism, Colin Kaepernick's lawsuit against the NFLother NFL problems-all comments here!-attendance.png

2017 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chor...40327/1459.jpg

Old 10-10-2017, 04:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,235,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
May the SF 49ers go 0 -16. This is the team that started it and seems to want to perpetuate it. Love the fact that they're 0 -5.

Brent Musburger said since this crap started happening they've only won 2 games. Maybe they should start trying to kneel in the other team's endzone a few times.
Brent Musburger

@brentmusburger
Yo #49ers Since you instigated protest, 2 wins and 19 losses. How about taking your next knee in the other team's end zone ?
so only good teams should protest, not the bad ones?

Old 10-10-2017, 08:51 AM

3,179 posts, read 4,643,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
so only good teams should protest, not the bad ones?

No, heavens no. This is America. They ALL have the rights to be morons. The irony is inescapable though. Musburger nailed it.

If the rest of NFL ownership would take Jerry Jones' stand we can maybe get on to football. Start setting these clowns down or firing them like they would be in the rest of our workplaces. Maybe the rest of the season can be finished out with replacement players just like the movie. I think that would be more fun than the way things are playing out now. Someone give Keanu Reeves a call.

Funny how this all started from Kaepernick's hatred for the police in America (most likely egged on by his wife's weird perceptions) and then last week we once again watch as police put their lives on the line trying to stop a madman from killing people. Without the police forces in this country what little safety people have, especially in the inner cities , would be totally gone and the thugs would take over. That's what these players and their Hollywood ilk seem to want as they sashay around with THEIR armed bodyguards and live in their safe gated communities.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:09 AM

21,873 posts, read 23,170,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
No, heavens no. This is America. They ALL have the rights to be morons. The irony is inescapable though. Musburger nailed it.

If the rest of NFL ownership would take Jerry Jones' stand we can maybe get on to football. Start setting these clowns down or firing them like they would be in the rest of our workplaces. Maybe the rest of the season can be finished out with replacement players just like the movie. I think that would be more fun than the way things are playing out now. Someone give Keanu Reeves a call.

Funny how this all started from Kaepernick's hatred for the police in America (most likely egged on by his wife's weird perceptions) and then last week we once again watch as police put their lives on the line trying to stop a madman from killing people. Without the police forces in this country what little safety people have, especially in the inner cities , would be totally gone and the thugs would take over. That's what these players and their Hollywood ilk seem to want as they sashay around with THEIR armed bodyguards and live in their safe gated communities.
And if Trump would have kept his mouth shut and allowed PRIVATE ENTITIES -NFL and individual teams- handle their own business, very few people would be talking about it and we'd be getting on with the business of football. Now, because the president can't keep his mouth shut if there's a potential to stir up drama, he's backed businesses and people into a corner where they feel they need to make a stand about their rights as private entities, individuals and citizens.

And now the ridiculous staged drama by the VP....

It's not the players stirring the pot here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football