U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the kneeling controversy ruined football for you?
Yes - I am done, I no longer care 40 33.90%
Maybe -It makes me less likely to care but I will watch occasionally 27 22.88%
No - It makes no difference 51 43.22%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Status: "What if there were no hypothetical questions?" (set 10 days ago)

3,214 posts, read 4,672,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And if Trump would have kept his mouth shut and allowed PRIVATE ENTITIES -NFL and individual teams- handle their own business, very few people would be talking about it and we'd be getting on with the business of football. Now, because the president can't keep his mouth shut if there's a potential to stir up drama, he's backed businesses and people into a corner where they feel they need to make a stand about their rights as private entities, individuals and citizens.

And now the ridiculous staged drama by the VP....

It's not the players stirring the pot here.

This (bolded statement) is probably true. He didn't need to comment on it and because he did it escalated.

I commend Pence for not sticking around and justifying this continual stupidity. Trump didn't help matters granted, but believe me the moron players ARE stirring the pot here and it's time for the NFL to put and end to it. Either stop this grandstanding on the field (do it on your own time if you feel so committed to whatever you think the cause is) or get hit in your pocketbook like any other employee of a company would.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:34 AM

21,882 posts, read 23,248,182 times
In which case Pence should be protesting on his own time (and expense) as well. After all, we didn't hire him to attend football games on the taxpayer's dime.

The NFL as a private entity can handle it's business the way it chooses to. Customers can express their support or distaste accordingly. I would argue that that is exactly what was going on before Trump was feeling the need for ....um..."love". Kaepernic is still unemployed. I have no doubt that is partially to do with his actions.Trump is using the flag and people's strong feelings regarding patriotism to create drama to feed his personal need for an adrenalin high. That's a much bigger disrespect than anyone quietly kneeling to call attention to something they feel strongly about.

Edit: For a party that's supposedly all about the Government staying out of people's business, they are sure spending an inordinate amount of time exactly there.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-10-2017 at 10:20 AM..

Old 10-10-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
In which case Pence should be protesting on his own time (and expense) as well. After all, we didn't hire him to attend football games on the taxpayer's dime.

The NFL as a private entity can handle it's business the way it chooses to. Customers can express their support or distaste accordingly. I would argue that that is exactly what was going on before Trump was feeling the need for ....um..."love". Kaepernic is still unemployed. I have no doubt that is partially to do with his actions.Trump is using the flag and people's strong feelings regarding patriotism to create drama to feed his personal need for an adrenalin high. That's a much bigger disrespect than anyone quietly kneeling to call attention to something they feel strongly about.

Edit: For a party that's supposedly all about the Government staying out of people's business, they are sure spending an inordinate amount of time exactly there.

Pence simply chose (free country remember) to not be a part of this crap when it happened again. He really made no big issue, simply left. When reporters (the ones who REALLY stir the pot) asked him, he simply responded.

He was there as a guest of Peyton Manning who was a friend of Pence.

NFL can end this disrespectful stuff whenever it wants to. Jerry Jones gave them the blueprint. Now put your big boy pants on and do it. Gene Hackman has already applied to coach the 49ers replacement players.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:51 AM

21,882 posts, read 23,248,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Pence simply chose (free country remember) to not be a part of this crap when it happened again. He really made no big issue, simply left. When reporters (the ones who REALLY stir the pot) asked him, he simply responded.

He was there as a guest of Peyton Manning who was a friend of Pence.

And I might buy that if he wasn't traveling on AF2, with journalists who were told to stay on the plane since Pence would most likely be right back. It was a political stunt, nothing more.

He was protesting on company time. Perhaps a replacement should be brought in?

Old 10-10-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin408 View Post
Goodell issues memo to teams on national anthem

Goodell issues memo to teams on national anthem - NFL.com

Goodell is officially calling for an emergency meeting next week in New York to pass a rule requiring players to stand.

That wording in this memo by itself accomplishes nothing and is pure political mumbo jumbo. We'll have to wait and see what actually DOES get accomplished in their upcoming meeting. At least having this meeting is a step.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:36 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,200,562 times
If the nfl would stop draping itself in the flag and the anthem this would stop. These teams aren't representing the US. No one is playing for 'country'. It's a for-profit league. Everyone is there to make as much money as possible. It has nothing to do with patriotism. The second they introduce the flag and anthem they open themselves up to protest which they cannot stop. A private company cannot make a citizen 'honor' a country/flag/anthem no matter how much they pay them. This is easily solved. Just stop all that stuff. Stop dragging the over-sized flags out, that are a disrespect to the flag, and do what they do - entertain. Play ball and let the Olympics sort out USA chants.

The political grandstanding by the WH meant to divide people is pathetic. Well and truly none of the WH's business.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:04 PM

14,643 posts, read 22,512,122 times
Trump wins, and I frankly, am starting to get tired of it.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:20 PM

2,270 posts, read 893,667 times
It's ironic that a lot of people who are yelling "Stop politicizing sports!" are oblivious to the fact that having a loyalty test before every game - and that's exactly what it is when you play the anthem [remind me again: what exactly precisely it have to do with sports? Oh, that's right - nothing!] and then demand that everyone engage in an exercise of mass-conformity, followed by a shaming of the non-conformists.

You can't get any more POLITICIZING SPORTS! than that.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:14 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,347,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Trump wins, and I frankly, am starting to get tired of it.
How do you figure? when he made his comments, a measly eight players were silently kneeling before games pretty much forgotten by anyone...after his comment, practically the entire league was protesting in one way or another.....even now, weeks later, there are more protesting than to begin with.

What he did was bring down the Office, brought more publicity to the player's cause (social injustice), and divided the nation more than it was before opening his bloviating moronic mouth.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:21 AM

5,768 posts, read 4,272,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
How do you figure? when he made his comments, a measly eight players were silently kneeling before games pretty much forgotten by anyone...after his comment, practically the entire league was protesting in one way or another.....even now, weeks later, there are more protesting than to begin with.

What he did was bring down the Office, brought more publicity to the player's cause (social injustice), and divided the nation more than it was before opening his bloviating moronic mouth.
And now, the owners are thinking about changing the rule which will require all players to stand for the anthem. So in the end, Trump actually does win on this one. And after reading reports of Colin Kaepernick saying if he's signed to an NFL team, he'll stand for the anthem, shows you that when it comes down to the players own well being, their protests only go so far until it really starts to affect their livelihood, and then it's back to falling in line with the rest. Fewer and fewer players are protesting, and I would wager to say that by the end of the season, you won't see more than a couple players protesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football