U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the kneeling controversy ruined football for you?
Yes - I am done, I no longer care 40 33.90%
Maybe -It makes me less likely to care but I will watch occasionally 27 22.88%
No - It makes no difference 51 43.22%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 07:25 AM

21,882 posts, read 23,213,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
And now, the owners are thinking about changing the rule which will require all players to stand for the anthem. So in the end, Trump actually does win on this one. And after reading reports of Colin Kaepernick saying if he's signed to an NFL team, he'll stand for the anthem, shows you that when it comes down to the players own well being, their protests only go so far until it really starts to affect their livelihood, and then it's back to falling in line with the rest. Fewer and fewer players are protesting, and I would wager to say that by the end of the season, you won't see more than a couple players protesting.
It's a bit premature to call it a win.

It wouldn't have even been an issue had Trump not made it one. What does it say if one must manufacture drama in order to claim a "win"?

Old 10-11-2017, 07:42 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,297,115 times
Quote:
And now, the owners are thinking about changing the rule which will require all players to stand for the anthem. So in the end, Trump actually does win on this one. And after reading reports of Colin Kaepernick saying if he's signed to an NFL team, he'll stand for the anthem, shows you that when it comes down to the players own well being, their protests only go so far until it really starts to affect their livelihood, and then it's back to falling in line with the rest. Fewer and fewer players are protesting, and I would wager to say that by the end of the season, you won't see more than a couple players protesting.
That kind of change will need to be cleared by the player's union, no? They'll (owners) normally will concede with something to make up for the change. Perhaps millions to aid in the prevention of police racial profiling or aid to families affected by police injustice.

How I love to see those most hated Cowboys all kneel causing them to bench their best players. They might become my second favorite team if they did that. Is social injustice bad enough in the USA that they'd test Jerry on his threat?

Old 10-11-2017, 08:21 AM
Status: "What if there were no hypothetical questions?" (set 13 hours ago)

3,199 posts, read 4,659,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
That kind of change will need to be cleared by the player's union, no? They'll (owners) normally will concede with something to make up for the change. Perhaps millions to aid in the prevention of police racial profiling or aid to families affected by police injustice.

How I love to see those most hated Cowboys all kneel causing them to bench their best players. They might become my second favorite team if they did that. Is social injustice bad enough in the USA that they'd test Jerry on his threat?

You and me are on the same page with this one. Bring on the replacements. IF this were to happen, the players would back down before Jones. He owns the richest sports franchise in the world I've heard. Goodell wouldn't be able to kick the can down the road any more. The melodrama would be thicker than mud.

You know what, the NCAA is just sitting back and loving this.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:30 AM

5,763 posts, read 4,257,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

I wouldn't be opposed to the Cowboys all kneeling and getting fired. As a Redskins fan, I would support that move! But in all honesty, if the NFL were to give millions to aid in such a cause and not provide similar funding to other causes, then you're talking about the NFL singling out law enforcement, which would be a very dumb move in my opinion. What about other social injustices that affects other citizens of other races and nationalities? That wouldn't fly with the country nor our law enforcement organizations.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:15 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,850,450 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be opposed to the Cowboys all kneeling and getting fired. As a Redskins fan, I would support that move! But in all honesty, if the NFL were to give millions to aid in such a cause and not provide similar funding to other causes, then you're talking about the NFL singling out law enforcement, which would be a very dumb move in my opinion. What about other social injustices that affects other citizens of other races and nationalities? That wouldn't fly with the country nor our law enforcement organizations.
The problem is many blacks feel under valued and mistreated based on their race. That is why Colin started kneeling. Here is the kicker though. If the media didnt expose or question Colin the awareness would not have grown. That awareness caused Colin to be black balled by the league. This caused more players to kneel on Colin's behave. Its a domino - snowball effect. At first I felt this kneeling protest was a waste of time. Now after Jerry Jones comments I believe more player have to kneel DURING the anthem and break the league. These players are not slaves, they are employees. That is the point that needs to be made.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:27 AM

3,780 posts, read 8,720,752 times
African Americans need to get out of sports and focus their time and energy in something else. It won’t happen because the pay is too lucrative.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Status: "What if there were no hypothetical questions?" (set 13 hours ago)

3,199 posts, read 4,659,493 times
Quote:

Very good points.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
African Americans need to get out of sports and focus their time and energy in something else. It won’t happen because the pay is too lucrative.
like being doctors, lawyers, teachers, police officers, airline pilots? Seriously, do you think there are none currently in those professions? all they do is play professional sports?

Old 10-11-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
The problem is many blacks feel under valued and mistreated based on their race. That is why Colin started kneeling. Here is the kicker though. If the media didnt expose or question Colin the awareness would not have grown. That awareness caused Colin to be black balled by the league. This caused more players to kneel on Colin's behave. Its a domino - snowball effect. At first I felt this kneeling protest was a waste of time. Now after Jerry Jones comments I believe more player have to kneel DURING the anthem and break the league. These players are not slaves, they are employees. That is the point that needs to be made.
Bucs' Gerald McCoy: 'Uproar' if NFL Players Forced to Stand During National Anthem. Here's a good SI.com article summarizing the current state of affairs - how it started and why it escalated (Trump).

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/11/bu...rotests-uproar

"I don't think guys are gonna like it," McCoy said. "I think it's gonna be an uproar if that is to happen because you're basically taking away a constitutional right to freedom of speech. If guys wanna have a, I guess you would call it a peaceful protest, I don't think it's right to take that away from guys."

Old 10-11-2017, 01:27 PM

5,763 posts, read 4,257,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I have a very good African American friend (well quite a few actually), that I work with, and we often have very candidate conversations about racism, politics, sports, etc. He actually felt the exact opposite. He felt that the protest and the kneeling would actually cause more resentment toward blacks than support, because it's hard to take it seriously when you're seeing an athlete whose making millions of dollars playing a game, protest over social injustice and inequality. He also found it dishonest when the same people who protest against the police are usually flanked by police officers or off duty (police) body guards to and from the stadium.

My same black friend told me that he understood the feelings that many white people had toward black people when his community started having those same feelings toward Latinos. Now, two wrongs don't make a right, but his point was, he felt many times, black people were mistreated by the police because they egged it on. He also felt the few instances you saw where that wasn't the case was more of the exception than the rule. I take him at his word on this. I think any mistreatment based on color of skin or social status is wrong, but I also believe we have all been subjected to it at one point and we have also been guilty of it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football