U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the kneeling controversy ruined football for you?
Yes - I am done, I no longer care 40 33.90%
Maybe -It makes me less likely to care but I will watch occasionally 27 22.88%
No - It makes no difference 51 43.22%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,227,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to the Cowboys all kneeling and getting fired. As a Redskins fan, I would support that move! But in all honesty, if the NFL were to give millions to aid in such a cause and not provide similar funding to other causes, then you're talking about the NFL singling out law enforcement, which would be a very dumb move in my opinion. What about other social injustices that affects other citizens of other races and nationalities? That wouldn't fly with the country nor our law enforcement organizations.
was a minor issue (8 players) until Trump said something - now many of them are kneeling just because they've been told not to by Trump and insulted as well.

btw, union is getting involved as expected.......Jonesy violated the National Labor Relations Act by threatening players if they choose not to stand for the national anthem.

Labor union files complaint over Cowboys' Jerry Jones' national anthem mandate to team

Old 10-11-2017, 01:48 PM

3,751 posts, read 8,694,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
like being doctors, lawyers, teachers, police officers, airline pilots? Seriously, do you think there are none currently in those professions? all they do is play professional sports?
Eh nah and you completely missing the point, and truth be told there arenít many black doctors, lawyers, etc etc.compard to the percentage of what they represent in the leagues, those are the facts...

Old 10-11-2017, 07:07 PM

6,422 posts, read 4,183,124 times
I could see a team forfeit a game because 100% of the players decide to kneel for the anthem after being told not to. The Coaches and owner have the final say over who plays in the game or sits on the bench. You want to put a stop to this, this is how. The forty-niners are most likely to be the team that could do this. Their season is pretty much over anyway, and that is where the most protests are coming from. They could forfeit every game after the anthem if there is a protest and it wouldn't make any difference to the outcome of heir season at this point.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:14 PM

6,422 posts, read 4,183,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
was a minor issue (8 players) until Trump said something - now many of them are kneeling just because they've been told not to by Trump and insulted as well.

btw, union is getting involved as expected.......Jonesy violated the National Labor Relations Act by threatening players if they choose not to stand for the national anthem.

Labor union files complaint over Cowboys' Jerry Jones' national anthem mandate to team
Players are under the threat of riding the bench 100% of the time they are part of the team for many reasons. It's not necessarily considered a punishment unless they are fined or fired. They would still get paid, unless the owners, in their fall meeting next week reach a consensus and decide to end this protest.

The union has no say in who gets benched. It is solely up to the coach and management to decide who goes on the field.

And, it hasn't yet been determined that Jones violated the NLRA. That would be up to a judge. It's only a lawsuit that has been filed at this point. If you know different, then you can also tell me what the next Powerball combination will be.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:46 PM

35,520 posts, read 10,525,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And if Trump would have kept his mouth shut and allowed PRIVATE ENTITIES -NFL and individual teams- handle their own business, very few people would be talking about it and we'd be getting on with the business of football. Now, because the president can't keep his mouth shut if there's a potential to stir up drama, he's backed businesses and people into a corner where they feel they need to make a stand about their rights as private entities, individuals and citizens.

And now the ridiculous staged drama by the VP....

It's not the players stirring the pot here.

That's certainly true. No president should be saying things that can be construed to be telling people how to run their businesses. That intrusion doesn't sit well with me.

The owners are the ones who should be making the rules. If they understood their audience, they'd make the right rules. And anyone who thinks that a private business can't impose such rules with respect to the anthem because it represents a free speech/expression issue, has a strudel in his noodle. Ask the Boy Scouts.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:10 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,163,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That's certainly true. No president should be saying things that can be construed to be telling people how to run their businesses. That intrusion doesn't sit well with me.

The owners are the ones who should be making the rules. If they understood their audience, they'd make the right rules. And anyone who thinks that a private business can't impose such rules with respect to the anthem because it represents a free speech/expression issue, has a strudel in his noodle. Ask the Boy Scouts.
Not a free speech issue between employer and employee. Trump is coming perilously close to making it one when he starts trying to strongarm businesses into behaving how HE (as President and the top representative of the Government) wants.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:55 AM

4,213 posts, read 2,835,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I have a very good African American friend (well quite a few actually), that I work with, and we often have very candidate conversations about racism, politics, sports, etc. He actually felt the exact opposite. He felt that the protest and the kneeling would actually cause more resentment toward blacks than support, because it's hard to take it seriously when you're seeing an athlete whose making millions of dollars playing a game, protest over social injustice and inequality. He also found it dishonest when the same people who protest against the police are usually flanked by police officers or off duty (police) body guards to and from the stadium.

My same black friend told me that he understood the feelings that many white people had toward black people when his community started having those same feelings toward Latinos. Now, two wrongs don't make a right, but his point was, he felt many times, black people were mistreated by the police because they egged it on. He also felt the few instances you saw where that wasn't the case was more of the exception than the rule. I take him at his word on this. I think any mistreatment based on color of skin or social status is wrong, but I also believe we have all been subjected to it at one point and we have also been guilty of it as well.
All I can say is thank God your friend isn't the spokesman for Black America. And thank God you don't know many more blacks intimately, because you'd realize very quickly that your guy is in the minority, by a mile, with his thoughts. Not that he's the only guy who has those views, and of course you're free to "take him at his word", but without question, a few of those statements you shared, that he shared with you, he's definitely in the overwhelming minority and is displaying a very questionable judgement...

Old 10-12-2017, 07:45 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,236,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
All I can say is thank God your friend isn't the spokesman for Black America. And thank God you don't know many more blacks intimately, because you'd realize very quickly that your guy is in the minority, by a mile, with his thoughts. Not that he's the only guy who has those views, and of course you're free to "take him at his word", but without question, a few of those statements you shared, that he shared with you, he's definitely in the overwhelming minority and is displaying a very questionable judgement...
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. That wasn't the only example of a situation he gave me. I think his point was that everyone, regardless of race, creed, religion, or sexual orientation is capable of being prejudice toward others who are different. It's a human thing that will never completely go away. I have no doubt that sometimes it is egged on, and other times, it happens for no reason other than prejudice. I got surrounded by a black gang back in my early 20's, just because I was the smallest one out of my group of friends, and they were trying to establish their territory, which by the way, this was not in a black community. This was in the parking lot of a restaurant in a busy area surrounded by all races. By the grace of God, I was able to get away from them unharmed, but they were trying to terrorize me. They had guns and they outnumbered me. I seriously thought my life was going to end that night. I had not spoken to them, given them any looks, or anything whatsoever to provoke a fight. They were saying stuff like, "I heard you called me a (n-word)" or, "You racist with us?" So, I have personal experience that hate toward other races isn't exempt from the black community.

I said all that to say that, again, while I sympathize with the fact that black people still get mistreated, they are not the only ones who do. And, while there are some dirty cops out there who abuse their position, in large part, the police still risk their lives day after day to protect us and keep us safe. They are also human as well, and they also carry that fear of the unknown or "different" like everybody else. But for the NFL to single out a watchdog program that monitors police activity, I think it sends the wrong message to those who protect our streets. I think it says we don't trust you, we don't care about your position, we don't respect you. We'll call you IF we need you, otherwise, you keep yourself in line. All the while, there's still starving children in this world, there's Cancer research that needs funding, there's many many programs that could use funding that affect us all. So if the NFL were to donate money to such an organization, they better be giving as much equal time to other organizations, otherwise, it is a bad look on the NFL.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:14 PM

3,747 posts, read 1,808,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I could see a team forfeit a game because 100% of the players decide to kneel for the anthem after being told not to. The Coaches and owner have the final say over who plays in the game or sits on the bench. You want to put a stop to this, this is how. The forty-niners are most likely to be the team that could do this. Their season is pretty much over anyway, and that is where the most protests are coming from. They could forfeit every game after the anthem if there is a protest and it wouldn't make any difference to the outcome of heir season at this point.
Is this a serious post?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-14-2017 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: one sentence deleted

Old 10-12-2017, 02:24 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,764,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not a free speech issue between employer and employee. Trump is coming perilously close to making it one when he starts trying to strongarm businesses into behaving how HE (as President and the top representative of the Government) wants.
real americans are honored that he feels that way ... that`s why he got elected
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football