U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the kneeling controversy ruined football for you?
Yes - I am done, I no longer care 40 33.90%
Maybe -It makes me less likely to care but I will watch occasionally 27 22.88%
No - It makes no difference 51 43.22%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:50 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,880,228 times

Advertisements

Itís been pretty amusing watching these YouTube videos of fans burning their tickets and burning their team apparel. Since they feel the NFL and its players hate veterans so much, why not donate their clothing to a shelter or organization that helps the thousands of homeless veterans in this country? They could also sell their tickets and donate the money received, or give the tickets to those organizations to raffle them off for money. Since a lot of these upset fans feel NFL players could go about their protest in a more constructive manner, the same could be said about these folks burning things up.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:59 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,259,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
The man, who is NOT my President, turned a mole hill into a mountain when he called the NFL players, SOB's.
To those people who are no longer going to be watching NFL games, all that I will say is
Good Bye.
This.

If you are going to stop watching football, good bye.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:00 PM

2,243 posts, read 941,793 times
Good for them for using their platform to speak up against something they consider to be an injustice. That is what free speech is about.

I'm not really a die hard fan, so it makes little difference to me. However, I'm inspired when people come together to stand up for what is right. So good for them.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:09 PM

6,616 posts, read 10,675,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Makes no difference to me honestly. I usually don't start paying attention until they kick the ball off anyways.
I tried every trick in the book to limit exposure to the politicization of the NFL. The last straw for me was this past Sunday when the announcers - smack in the middle of the play-by-play - not only starting talking about, but put up graphics and pictures. Smack in the middle of the play-by-play.

There was no way to avoid it.

Just like on Google News, you can personalize it, except that you can't eliminate what they want you to believe is "Headline News" or "Top Stories" or whatever they call the crap that they force feed you.

I quit the City-Data Economics Forum about two years ago because it is infested with political theater.

Pro football is, or was, a microcosm of the greatness of the human spirit.

I started frequenting the pro-football forum because it was one of the few sanctuaries from the utter stupidity that is political theater.

Now there is no safe harbor at all.

And it's not an accident.

Fine, we no longer agree on what the essence of pro football is: we occasionally used to talk about political football; now we incessantly talk about football political.

But you are all risking that the Chinese eat you people for breakfast while you endlessly bicker about how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

On second thought, don't think about it.

Good Luck!

Old 09-27-2017, 01:18 PM

21,320 posts, read 21,890,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I tried every trick in the book to limit exposure to the politicization of the NFL. The last straw for me was this past Sunday when the announcers - smack in the middle of the play-by-play - not only starting talking about, but put up graphics and pictures. Smack in the middle of the play-by-play.

There was no way to avoid it.

Just like on Google News, you can personalize it, except that you can't eliminate what they want you to believe is "Headline News" or "Top Stories" or whatever they call the crap that they force feed you.

I quit the City-Data Economics Forum about two years ago because it is infested with political theater.

Pro football is, or was, a microcosm of the greatness of the human spirit.

I started frequenting the pro-football forum because it was one of the few sanctuaries from the utter stupidity that is political theater.

Now there is no safe harbor at all.

And it's not an accident.

Fine, we no longer agree on what the essence of pro football is: we occasionally used to talk about political football; now we incessantly talk about football political.

But you are all risking that the Chinese eat you people for breakfast while you endlessly bicker about how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

On second thought, don't think about it.

Good Luck!

so, we'll put you down for "on the fence"

Old 09-27-2017, 01:45 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,152,325 times
It has not ruined football for me.

I understand it is a very emotional and personal issue - if it were unimportant the gesture wouldn't be discussed at all. Growing up in a military family, I was certainly taught to stand and focus my attention on the flag during the National Anthem. And I do. However, I do not believe a kneel is disrespectful. If someone was turning their back, spitting, making a clearly negative gesture - or being otherwise disruptive to the rights of others to stand and focus their attention on the flag, THAT would be disrespectful. I mostly believe this is a situation that the President should have kept his mouth shut about. His unprofessional verbiage and incessant desire to pot-stir rather than solution-seek, together with his narcissistic need to be the center of attention, did nothing but elevate dissent and take the focus of other, more important events. As has been brought up in other arenas, there has been plenty of disrespect for the flag to go around - including by many who are the most vocal about players kneeling. I find it unfortunate and disturbing that some are confusing patriotism and nationalism and that there seems to be a need to "prove" one's patriotism in very specific ways and if that way doesn't look the way some think it should, then a job should be lost or one is called out for not being patriotic enough. That is not my understanding of what this country was founded on or what our military fights to protect. I'm more concerned that a man who avoided service, disrespected both a POW and a Gold Star family feels he can set the standard for what patriotism should look like. Sorry, probably more politics that should be in this forum but it goes directly to explaining my feelings on this issue. HH - feel free to edit if needed.

Bottom line...to me, this is an issue that is best left between the player and his employer since they are on "company time" and wearing a company uniform. If someone wants to boycott their team because of how they choose to deal with their employees - well than that is their choice. Just keep all that in mind next time you slop that potato salad onto a paper plate with the flag emblazoned on it, or take a swig of beer while seated on your comfy sofa at home during the National Anthem. I think, as divisive as things are, the Steelers probably had the right idea. Delay the entrance of the players to the field until after the anthem is played. What each player does in the locker room is their own business.

In the meantime, I'm still watching.

Last edited by maciesmom; 09-27-2017 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-27-2017, 01:47 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,231,898 times
I don't watch football for political reasons.

Let me edit this statement as it can be misconstrued. I watch football to get away from "life". I don't watch it in hopes it crosses over into the political realm like it has. It should be completely separate. You may ask, what about the National Anthem before the games? I personally think despite what people may think in terms of the direction of the country today, it is still a free country and we should still be thankful and grateful to those who gave their lives so that we could ****, moan, and complain about the President without getting executed.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:54 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,511,083 times
Liberals constantly complaining about the president is lame, just as lame as conservatives constantly complaining about football players taking a knee. IMO it's pretty silly for Trump to try to get involved with sports. The most I recall Obama doing on that front was making NCAA picks every year with ESPN.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:10 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,548,322 times
As an older adult who lived through massive protests, lost close friends in the Viet Nam war, seen discrimination first hand, I don't get some of this. I've seen comments, posts by military people not to use them as a talking point in this discussion. They feel it is about the constitution, what it represents, how this country started and why it was formed.

There is a much, much bigger picture here, which I see and dwelling on the NFL, lack of respect for the flag, not standing seems small in comparison. It is also odd, some weeks back the president said, people have the right to express themselves and to protest, talking about this issue. Weeks later going to an area of the country where it might be unpopular viewpoint, he totally goes off like he is still on his reality show, says the exact opposite.

Taking a hard stand, constantly talking about the NFL on his twitter feed, takes away from more pressing issues that are escalating, not being resolved, health care for millions, a war with North Korea, those are serious issues, too. Don't talk about not standing, firing players, go back to where you were visiting and say, all men are created equal, see how that goes for you.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:15 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,152,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
As an older adult who lived through massive protests, lost close friends in the Viet Nam war, seen discrimination first hand, I don't get some of this. I've seen comments, posts by military people not to use them as a talking point in this discussion. They feel it is about the constitution, what it represents, how this country started and why it was formed.

There is a much, much bigger picture here, which I see and dwelling on the NFL, lack of respect for the flag, not standing seems small in comparison. It is also odd, some weeks back the president said, people have the right to express themselves and to protest, talking about this issue. Weeks later going to an area of the country where it might be unpopular viewpoint, he totally goes off like he is still on his reality show, says the exact opposite.

Taking a hard stand, constantly talking about the NFL on his twitter feed, takes away from more pressing issues that are escalating, not being resolved, health care for millions, a war with North Korea, those are serious issues, too. Don't talk about not standing, firing players, go back to where you were visiting and say, all men are created equal, see how that goes for you.
You were much more succinct and to the point than I was - but yes, this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football