U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the kneeling controversy ruined football for you?
Yes - I am done, I no longer care 40 33.90%
Maybe -It makes me less likely to care but I will watch occasionally 27 22.88%
No - It makes no difference 51 43.22%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 06:37 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,379,000 times

Advertisements

The protest has missed the mark as the overall reaction was predictable. I'm sick of it all. The protests, the whining about the protest, the politicization of the protest and the media coverage.

Mad Dog Russo had a great rant on the subject back on Monday. I just want to hear about the football. They can do away with the anthem for all I care. It has nothing to do with football.

Thankfully I can tune in after the anthem but navigating the interweb and avoiding the endless drama is quite difficult.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:18 PM

14,603 posts, read 22,462,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
And Kaepernick was ignored by most until Trump opened his mouth bringing 200 players out to kneel rather than a handful. And most of the rest of the players to link up in support. Face it. Trump lit the fire and polarized sportsfans.

I was dreading football with just the relative few Anti-American defectors that were out there. I hate Brandon Marshall, not the loudmouth receiver, and wished he would get bounced from the team along with dirty player and head-hunter TJ Ward.

Now I just hate my football team and will spend more time on my hobbies and spend time visiting my dad at the nursing home.

My wife will be relieved that there'll be less dealing with me yelling at the TV three hours every Sunday.

Don't worry about Trump. He ain't getting impeached over this or Russia Russia Russia.

Enjoy your sports forum. You know which forum I'll be frequenting.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:25 PM

9,610 posts, read 5,400,887 times
Player(s) either stands or kneels in protest... the anthem still plays the same length of time and the game still continues on schedule.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:58 PM

2,776 posts, read 2,380,457 times
As with a lot of heavily debated political issues, I've become annoyed with both sides. You have a lot on one side saying -- if you aren't supportive of the players protesting, then you're out of touch, ignorant & a racist. They don't realize that some just want to escape for 3 hours a week & have a beer & watch their favorite team.

Then you have many on the other side who for some reason can spend lots of time posting memes on Facebook but can't spend 2 min to actually read up on the reason for the protests. They only connect the protests with disrespect for the military. They post fake news like Jerry Jones saying he'll fire any Cowboy who sits for the anthem. Just like the last election, we have a big divide that's led to hatred and name calling.

As a fairly loyal NFL fan I'm also annoyed by the number of non-NFL fans who have suddenly taken an interest in the NFL. And mostly that they act like experts. It reminds me of the Panthers/Broncos super bowl 2 seasons ago when the mainstream media became involved to question (well suggest) if Cam Newton was being treated unfairly simply because he's black. Media ignored that Cam did things atypical of most QBs like celebrating a lot. Brandon Marshal came out & said he wouldn't want his QB dancing like Cam. Sure enough my Facebook feed was filled with non-nfl fans suddenly becoming expert QB analysts & now cheering for one team or the other only because of the media hype around Cam. Those same posters are now speaking out about the protests. But this will all soon pass & the NFL will carry on . . . until the next big event the media will discover they can profit off of.

Edit: Looks like Russia is getting involved in dividing us just like the last election.

Last edited by everwinter; 09-27-2017 at 09:11 PM..

Old 09-27-2017, 09:19 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,515,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
You have a lot on one side saying -- if you aren't supportive of the players protesting, then you're out of touch, ignorant & a racist.
No one is saying this. Plenty say if you voted Trump, you're an ignorant racist. No one is saying if you don't support players kneeling, you're a racist. They are saying they don't understand the reasons for kneeling, which is evidently true, based on the responses here.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:26 PM

275 posts, read 155,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Outstanding summary of the problem......
It is the problem. Im no GOP or Trump fan but like others Im annoyed at it all . It's two polar opposites fighting each other like kids.

Im sick of White privilege tossed around. It's not white privilege when you fear walking down the street at night. It;s not white privilege when you're a white person who get shot by a Somali cop. It's not white privilege when you get shot at church by a black assailant.

You got a right to show 'Hands Up" , kneel, or do the Hokey Pokey in protest when you earn that right. I got
a right to disagree. Many of these players have lengthy criminal records.. Why these players are still allowed to play I have no clue. So don't talk about privilege or social injustice when you don't obey the laws and still allowed to play. And that goes for the POTUS as well..If us left wants to get ahead we need a different strategy and representative.
Rant over

Old 09-27-2017, 09:30 PM

2,776 posts, read 2,380,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
No one is saying this. Plenty say if you voted Trump, you're an ignorant racist. No one is saying if you don't support players kneeling, you're a racist.
Check the Packers subreddit. Also, if you really want to torture yourself, read the comments section for some of the Packer articles released this week about players asking fans to join them in unity in locking arms during the anthem. Comments sections always brings out the best in people.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:08 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,515,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Check the Packers subreddit. Also, if you really want to torture yourself, read the comments section for some of the Packer articles released this week about players asking fans to join them in unity in locking arms during the anthem. Comments sections always brings out the best in people.
I see. I like reddit but stay away from politics. /r/politics is about as unreadable (in the opposite direction!) as the people with hard-ons for Trump around here. IMO even if I wanted to show support (which I'm ok with), I doubt I'd lock arms with random strangers in the stadium.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,272,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Shoudn't there be a fourth option in the poll:

Ο No - makes me want to watch even more!

(That would be my choice!)

Same here. I was actually getting a little tired of the game since I've watched since early childhood decades ago.....but I'm kind of re-energized even though the The Bucs layed a huge egg in Minnesota last weekend. Looking (hopefully) for a comeback this weekend vs NYG.....

If snowflakes change their minds about not watching ever again, please see link below for TV coverage in your area....

506 Sports - NFL Maps: Week 4, 2017

and tonight's game.....

Last edited by BucFan; 09-28-2017 at 04:26 AM..

Old 09-28-2017, 04:58 AM

6,646 posts, read 10,701,361 times
Other thread is closed, but to update, NFL Game pass is not entertaining refunds for unused portion of payment for NFL Football, whose content has been unexpectedly changed to political theater, referring ex-customers to the terms of service.

I suppose only a class action suit could persuade them to change their policy.

Kudos to DirecTv.

Take care, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football