Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the kneeling controversy ruined football for you?
Yes - I am done, I no longer care 40 33.90%
Maybe -It makes me less likely to care but I will watch occasionally 27 22.88%
No - It makes no difference 51 43.22%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 11:30 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,911,200 times

Advertisements

I have been a football fan my entire life. I have seen every Super Bowl. I started to lose interest when the games started to drag on for 3+ hours instead of the 2 like it used to be when there weren't so many commercials. I still watched but not as much. I do not care for all the showboating that goes on when someone makes a sack or tackle. But I still continued to be a fan. Now this this kneeling controversy is the last straw. Athletes that make more in a year than most make in a lifetime. I respect a persons right to protest but I watch football as an escape from all the worlds controversies. It was something I could watch and not have to think about anything else. Now that it has become politicized I doubt if I will ever watch again.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:41 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Makes no difference to me honestly. I usually don't start paying attention until they kick the ball off anyways.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:46 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,043 times
These people came up through very difficult times and made it through. In spite of the fact that they make far more money than you, you will never experience what many of them have. Growing up in poverty, their families throwing them away, harassment from racists, possibly even from racist cops, you name it. They don't have to do what you want them to do during the national anthem. They don't care if conservatives like you whine about it, they want things to change. They want a president who's more open to serving everyone in the country, and they want cops to stop shooting blacks.

If this is the last straw for you, fine, switch channels and listen to Donald Trump whine about god knows what, we'll continue watching football. Or just do what Walnut does and turn it on at 1:03, not 12:56.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:49 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
We have several different threads regarding a lot of things that have happened in the NFL this year. Those threads generally go off topic real quick. I'm eventually going to lock those threads. This one? It gets a *sticky*. Having a poll regarding this thread will provide a barometer here regarding what you guys think overall.

It covers the extra time for a game, the showboating, the kneeling issue, and the politics. In the past I've deleted posts (or tried to keep up with deleting posts) because of politics. This thread can cover all those subjects. And this subject is going to get worse before it gets better. Usually only 2 *stickies* go on a specific sub forum but I'm making an exception here. Regarding the politics, I'll be watching those comments closely. If it's the comments regarding the players and the NFL in general, I'll keep them up. If it's not football related, I won't.

All views should be expressed. The Terms Of Service applies here though. No personal attacks.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-28-2017 at 11:07 AM..

Old 09-27-2017, 11:53 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
You're missing a response option in the response in a poll.

I respect the players more for using the platform they have to increase awareness of a serious issue in our country, and I found it extremely moving to see so many players exercising their First Amendment right of free speech (which includes the action of kneeling in protest), and the teammates and owners who actively and explicitly supported this action.

So my response is that no, it hasn't ruined football for me, but it makes a difference to me, in a positive way. The players who have spoken out have been more thoughtful than I anticipated and clearly care deeply about the issues being raised. I appreciate the dialogue they have sparked.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:54 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
We have several different threads regarding a lot of things that have happened in the NFL this year. Those threads generally go off topic real quick. I'm eventually going to lock those threads. This one? It gets a *sticky*. Having a poll regarding this thread will provide a barometer

It covers the extra time for a game, the showboating, the kneeling issue, and the politics. In the past I've deleted posts (or tried to keep up with deleting posts) because of politics. This thread can cover all those subjects. And this subject is going to get worse before it gets better. Usually only 2 *stickies* go on a specific sub forum but I'm making an exception here.

All views should be expressed. The Terms Of Service applies here though. No personal attacks.
This.

Quite frankly, I'm so tired of threads about NFL ratings declining because I feel they go off topic too quickly. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:29 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
as with most true fans, I'm able to separate all the background noise from the game which is still great and provides a compelling watch most of the time...same as it always has.

I'm more annoyed with wild celebrations following a successful 6 yard completion than players exercising their constitutional rights to be a thorn in the foot of some that would just as soon not be reminded of what the players seem to have a beef about

go pack, go

Old 09-27-2017, 12:36 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Empty the coliseums and send the gladiators packing.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:39 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,536 times
Shoudn't there be a fourth option in the poll:

Ο No - makes me want to watch even more!

(That would be my choice!)

Old 09-27-2017, 12:49 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,830 times
The man, who is NOT my President, turned a mole hill into a mountain when he called the NFL players, SOB's.
To those people who are no longer going to be watching NFL games, all that I will say is
Good Bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football