Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the kneeling controversy ruined football for you?
Yes - I am done, I no longer care 40 33.90%
Maybe -It makes me less likely to care but I will watch occasionally 27 22.88%
No - It makes no difference 51 43.22%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 05:08 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

Looks like the Cowboys are through w/ the silent protest. Dez Bryant say as much this week. Maybe the distraction is behind us.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...ek-going-stand

Old 09-30-2017, 05:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I have been a football fan my entire life. I have seen every Super Bowl. I started to lose interest when the games started to drag on for 3+ hours instead of the 2 like it used to be when there weren't so many commercials. I still watched but not as much. I do not care for all the showboating that goes on when someone makes a sack or tackle. But I still continued to be a fan. Now this this kneeling controversy is the last straw. Athletes that make more in a year than most make in a lifetime. I respect a persons right to protest but I watch football as an escape from all the worlds controversies. It was something I could watch and not have to think about anything else. Now that it has become politicized I doubt if I will ever watch again.
I can't go quite that far and never been to a super bowl but, like so many, share your concerns and feelings. At least, I will say, there are a couple of teams that have announced Sunday they will stand and join hands. That I can accept. The kneeling, what a bunch of spoiled babies. Most don't even know what they are protesting against other than what someone has brainwashed them to believe. And as for the length of the games, bad but not as bad as college games.

I do not like our president getting involved in the issue of kneeling or saying they should all be fired. We have more important things to worry about. That being said, I happen to agree with his feelings.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Makes no difference to me honestly. I usually don't start paying attention until they kick the ball off anyways.
That isn't the point, whether you and I watch the opening ceremony. The point is, they are disrespecting our flag and our country. :think

rarog: all I can say about your comment and how hard their lives were is:BULL

Old 09-30-2017, 05:46 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Well, we could all survive without football but wouldn't last long without cops. Our priorities are all out of whack.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You're missing a response option in the response in a poll.

I respect the players more for using the platform they have to increase awareness of a serious issue in our country, and I found it extremely moving to see so many players exercising their First Amendment right of free speech (which includes the action of kneeling in protest), and the teammates and owners who actively and explicitly supported this action.

So my response is that no, it hasn't ruined football for me, but it makes a difference to me, in a positive way. The players who have spoken out have been more thoughtful than I anticipated and clearly care deeply about the issues being raised. I appreciate the dialogue they have sparked.
totally disagree, obviously you have paid no attention to their contract and how it reads: yes, freedom of speech is important and we all have a right to express it, but not in the work place. They sign a contract that, among other things says; they are expected to stand during the pledge or the anthem with their helmets over their hearts. They are breaking their contract, plus there are so many better ways to protest how they feel. Do you really think, they are proving anything by what they are doing? When the advertisers start pulling back, the attendance starts slipping and money gets less and less, they might regret what they are doing. It is very possible they will win the argument but lose the fight.

John F S; so what country are you now living in if he is not your president? Suck it up, he is your president and mine and the rest of ours, like him or hate him. this is America.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Good for them for using their platform to speak up against something they consider to be an injustice. That is what free speech is about.

I'm not really a die hard fan, so it makes little difference to me. However, I'm inspired when people come together to stand up for what is right. So good for them.
they are not coming together to stand up for anything. They are simply following the leader, like most little kids do. Most of them are not even sure why they are kneeling except they know if they don't, a few or the players might get upset with them for rocking the boat is a positive way. Are you inspired when a bunch of nuts riot or protest in public by destroying property just cause they want to be part of the group?

Old 09-30-2017, 06:15 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
totally disagree, obviously you have paid no attention to their contract and how it reads: yes, freedom of speech is important and we all have a right to express it, but not in the work place. They sign a contract that, among other things says; they are expected to stand during the pledge or the anthem with their helmets over their hearts. They are breaking their contract, plus there are so many better ways to protest how they feel. Do you really think, they are proving anything by what they are doing? When the advertisers start pulling back, the attendance starts slipping and money gets less and less, they might regret what they are doing. It is very possible they will win the argument but lose the fight.

John F S; so what country are you now living in if he is not your president? Suck it up, he is your president and mine and the rest of ours, like him or hate him. this is America.
Anyone has the right to say what they want whenever they want. They do have to deal with the consequences of doing so. In this case, the NFL payers have the right to express their feelings and carry out a peaceful silent protest. If no one is going to punish them, what difference does it make if they "break" their contract? Their peaceful and silent protest did not prevent them from doing their job - playing a football game.

People keep harping on the fact that a person does not have the right to free speech at work. Of course they do. If their bosses are not going to punish them for doing it then pointing out they don't have that right is useless.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:18 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
they are not coming together to stand up for anything. They are simply following the leader, like most little kids do. Most of them are not even sure why they are kneeling except they know if they don't, a few or the players might get upset with them for rocking the boat is a positive way. Are you inspired when a bunch of nuts riot or protest in public by destroying property just cause they want to be part of the group?
How do you know most of the players have no idea why they're kneeling? There's also a big difference between what the players did and a bunch of nuts that riot and destroy public property. These players carried out a peaceful and silent protest and it did not prevent them from doing their job of playing a football game.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:32 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:

They are allowed to express it in the workplace if their employer allows it. The extent to which it is allowed depends on the state, the NFL and each individual team. The president, regardless of how anyone feels about him, ought to stay out of it.

I have not read the NFL players contracts - have you?

Regarding whether or not the players have any idea what they are protesting....what makes you think they dont? I keep reading that comment but I don't see anything that supports it. Do you believe that everyone who stands for the National Anthem knows what they are standing for? I kind of wonder sometimes.

I see plenty of fans who don't remove their hats, who carry on conversations, continue walking toward the beer line, chew gum...all while the N.A is being played. Perhaps they should be asked to leave? Or does the expectation of a public demonstration to prove one's respect and patriotism extend only to the athlete?

Last edited by maciesmom; 09-30-2017 at 07:34 AM..

Old 09-30-2017, 07:05 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Well, we could all survive without football but wouldn't last long without cops. Our priorities are all out of whack.
Racist cops are we want to live without.

Red herring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football