U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 07:49 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,862,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
no your suggestions would not eliminate CTE risks. they might show a slight reduction though.
How do you get CTE playing flag football? Risk would not be any great than a basketball player playing in the NBA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 10:23 PM

32,498 posts, read 26,381,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
How do you get CTE playing flag football? Risk would not be any great than a basketball player playing in the NBA.
offensive linemen still have to block defensive linemen, so there is the possibility of head to head contact, and thus the possibility of concussions. running backs still try to go through the middle of the line, and thus once again the possibility of head to head contact, and thus the possibility of concussion.

i have been there, and saw teammates get concussions from playing flag football.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:01 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,239,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
P-Diddy wanted to buy the NFL, but considering the fact that this would be an impossible task, he is now considering starting up his own Pro Football league.

Sean Combs Hints At Starting Own Football League

He's been tweeting about it as well: .

I say it goes the way of the USFL and XFL. Do you think it would succeed?

not at the level of NFL......maybe he can start some semi-pro, arena league quality play for those who can't make it on the big stage.....the world's best players will be in the NFL,,,,I watched the WFL games (I lived in Hawaii - Hawaiians), I watched USFL games (Tampa Bay Bantdits), watched the Frankfurt Galaxy of the NFL Europe when I was over there..there's nothing like the NFL and this problem w/ Trump and the boycotts isn't going to break the NFL.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:19 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,862,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
offensive linemen still have to block defensive linemen, so there is the possibility of head to head contact, and thus the possibility of concussions. running backs still try to go through the middle of the line, and thus once again the possibility of head to head contact, and thus the possibility of concussion.

i have been there, and saw teammates get concussions from playing flag football.
I assumed there wouldn't even really be lineman in flag football. Maybe two? Typically when you see it played it is without lineman. It would be much more of a passing game.

Still I don't believe heads would be hit with anywhere near the force they are hit with currently in the NFL.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:00 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,240,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
not at the level of NFL......maybe he can start some semi-pro, arena league quality play for those who can't make it on the big stage.....the world's best players will be in the NFL,,,,I watched the WFL games (I lived in Hawaii - Hawaiians), I watched USFL games (Tampa Bay Bantdits), watched the Frankfurt Galaxy of the NFL Europe when I was over there..there's nothing like the NFL and this problem w/ Trump and the boycotts isn't going to break the NFL.
If you read between the lines of his comments, he's not wanting a semi-pro league or an alternate football league like the arena league. He's looking to have a separate but equal NFL league. I mean, what exactly does a league for "my" people mean? I think we can all read between the lines. The comments section pretty much supports this.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:43 AM

1,189 posts, read 803,793 times
What about the CFL?

Do they take a knee?

Old 10-16-2017, 11:30 AM

7,237 posts, read 8,243,766 times
Any kind of pro football other than the NFL will very likely be a disaster. See the XFL, branded itself to the max as this in-your-face, rough and tough style of football that would give the NFL a run for its money. It failed, the quality of play wasn't very good, and it didn't live up to the hype enough to warrant a second season. This will be no different. I can appreciate Mr. Combs dream but it's a longshot that something designed to compete w/ the NFL will do just that.

Best thing one could do would be to have a minor-league system ala the NBA's D-League, NHL's AHL, and Minor League Baseball to the MLB. Bascially have feeder teams for all 32 teams, or have joint teams. Will probably not get off the ground, but it's a better bet I think than actually competing against the NFL itself.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:46 PM

32,498 posts, read 26,381,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Best thing one could do would be to have a minor-league system ala the NBA's D-League, NHL's AHL, and Minor League Baseball to the MLB. Bascially have feeder teams for all 32 teams, or have joint teams. Will probably not get off the ground, but it's a better bet I think than actually competing against the NFL itself.
that does sound like a good idea, i like that. and you wouldnt need a lot of levels like MLB has either, perhaps just enough to have three farm teams for each NFL team. and make it work like the MLB farm system as well. perhaps then kaepernick could be playing football again.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:31 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,240,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Any kind of pro football other than the NFL will very likely be a disaster. See the XFL, branded itself to the max as this in-your-face, rough and tough style of football that would give the NFL a run for its money. It failed, the quality of play wasn't very good, and it didn't live up to the hype enough to warrant a second season. This will be no different. I can appreciate Mr. Combs dream but it's a longshot that something designed to compete w/ the NFL will do just that.

The NFL was sort of doing that with the last European league they helped to sponsor. They would send practice squad players to that league so that they could get some in game experience. Honestly, if Combs was smart about this, he would target the European countries and start his league there. I'm sure the NFL still owns the rights to several of those team names, but if he could purchase the rights to those names, it would at least be something the Europeans recognize. Chances are, he's not going to be able to lure away all the black star athletes from the NFL, but he might be able to snag a few that are recognizable names that maybe out of the league for one reason or another to give it some star power. Such as your Robert Griffin III types who are still fairly young, had a little success in the NFL and has a recognizable name.

Otherwise, what it sounded like the intent was, was to start up a new, all black league, bring all the black stars over from the NFL, and try to display a superior product over the NFL who would be left with just white players. From the sound of his comments section, people were thinking if this happened then the NFL would suffer, because the black athlete is far superior to the white athlete. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole. That's just the vibe I got from the comments of his tweet. Personally, while I know a large majority of minorities absolutely hate President Trump and hate that he even got his nose into NFL business, when it comes to the money (and this isn't a minority only thing, this would be true for any race), I seriously doubt a lot of those star players would be willing to give up millions, upon millions of dollars in the NFL to go play in Combs' league. He just doesn't have the money to pay those players the similar amount of money. He would have to have the backing of very rich supporters to help filed those contracts.

And, finally, for his league to survive, he would need viewership from all races, not just blacks. I, for one, would love a successful second pro league, because I love football. But nothing has come close to the NFL in popularity, and I doubt anything ever will. Honestly, the closest "league(s)" in popularity is college football.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:22 PM

3,305 posts, read 2,330,711 times
He's just looking for attention hanging onto the CK story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or