Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 12:54 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

Seems like a lot of people initially wrote him off as "another running QB." He has been serving a lot of crow over the last few weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZJ5BDAsHy8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 01:19 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Watston doesn't seem to run all that much compared to other mobile QBs. These are career averages (rushing attempts per game). In parentheses is the season for peak rushing attempts. QBs typically run earlier in their careers and then begin to dial it back as they age.

Griffin - 6.5 (8.0)
Vick - 6.1 (8.0)
Wilson - 6.0 (7.4)
Kaepernick - 5.4 (6.5)
Taylor - 5.4 (7.4)
Culpepper - 4.9 (6.6)
Cunningham - 4.8 (7.4)
Watson - 4.7 (4.7)*
V. Young - 4.7 (6.2)
S. Young - 4.3 (8.0)
McNabb - 3.7 (6.3)
Rodgers - 3.5 (4.3)
Winston - 3.1 (3.4)

Old 10-16-2017, 03:51 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Watston doesn't seem to run all that much compared to other mobile QBs. These are career averages (rushing attempts per game). In parentheses is the season for peak rushing attempts. QBs typically run earlier in their careers and then begin to dial it back as they age.

Griffin - 6.5 (8.0)
Vick - 6.1 (8.0)
Wilson - 6.0 (7.4)
Kaepernick - 5.4 (6.5)
Taylor - 5.4 (7.4)
Culpepper - 4.9 (6.6)
Cunningham - 4.8 (7.4)
Watson - 4.7 (4.7)*
V. Young - 4.7 (6.2)
S. Young - 4.3 (8.0)
McNabb - 3.7 (6.3)
Rodgers - 3.5 (4.3)
Winston - 3.1 (3.4)
Watson doesn't run to run.. He runs to elude. Now, sometimes that buys him enough time to throw the ball, which is really what he wants to do. But, if there's nothing there, he will take off.

as I mentioned in the Houston topic, the only concern I have is that he will go all out for the marker, be it the endzone or the first down marker.. That's where you see injuries happen.

But, he was fairly healthy throughout at Clemson.. He did tear his ACL in the '14 season.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:17 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,630,594 times
This guy is gonna be a GOAT when it's all said and done. He's going to bring the Houston Texans their first championship. Book it, you heard it here first. He's going to be better than all the other good quarterbacks from his era--Wentz, Dak, Winston, Carr. He's going to outplay them all...

Sometimes a guy comes in The League and automatically, you can see he has "it". Watson has it. I am a huge fan, and I truly believe he's going to go down as one of the best to ever do it. His marriage to Houston is like New England drafting Brady, Indy drafting Peyton. I haven't said this of any QB recently drafted. He is gonna be that good...

I do think it became clear in 2015 that Wilson is gonna wind up the great QB of the '12 class, but I didn't and don't see the same level of "it" within him that I see in Deshaun Watson...

On another note, I rember calling Andrew Luck overrated from his senior season at Stanford on, and I've yet to be disproven. The hype around this guy was insane and his play never materialized to the level of the hype. Unfortunate the injuries have taken away so much of his last two seasons, but the honest fact is that even when healthy he was not the caliber of player everybody wished he were or thought he might become...

Supposedly he was the second coming of Peyton, that's been a big NO. Luck is good, and hopefully his career can continue, but that's all he is, is good...

Last edited by murksiderock; 10-16-2017 at 08:28 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 03:03 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This guy is gonna be a GOAT when it's all said and done. He's going to bring the Houston Texans their first championship. Book it, you heard it here first. He's going to be better than all the other good quarterbacks from his era--Wentz, Dak, Winston, Carr. He's going to outplay them all...

Sometimes a guy comes in The League and automatically, you can see he has "it". Watson has it. I am a huge fan, and I truly believe he's going to go down as one of the best to ever do it. His marriage to Houston is like New England drafting Brady, Indy drafting Peyton. I haven't said this of any QB recently drafted. He is gonna be that good...

I do think it became clear in 2015 that Wilson is gonna wind up the great QB of the '12 class, but I didn't and don't see the same level of "it" within him that I see in Deshaun Watson...

On another note, I rember calling Andrew Luck overrated from his senior season at Stanford on, and I've yet to be disproven. The hype around this guy was insane and his play never materialized to the level of the hype. Unfortunate the injuries have taken away so much of his last two seasons, but the honest fact is that even when healthy he was not the caliber of player everybody wished he were or thought he might become...

Supposedly he was the second coming of Peyton, that's been a big NO. Luck is good, and hopefully his career can continue, but that's all he is, is good...
Dear Lord...... Way too early for this kind of talk.

I like Watson, I liked him coming in to the draft. But let's not get carried away. There are literally a hundred QBs who came on the scene and gave fan a reason to be as excited as you appear to be.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Dear Lord...... Way too early for this kind of talk.

I like Watson, I liked him coming in to the draft. But let's not get carried away. There are literally a hundred QBs who came on the scene and gave fan a reason to be as excited as you appear to be.
It is.. But I also understand where murksiderock is coming from.. Watson has all the skills, has a grounded life.. He's got everything he needs to be one of the greats.

Now, we just have to wait and see on the things he cannot control. Health, the team around him.. Things of that nature.

Archie Manning was a really good QB on a really crappy team, after all.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:20 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,630,594 times
This kid is the real deal. My god, he just played his tail off against the best defense of this generation (There s going to be at minimum FOUR HoFer's from the 2010s Seahawks defense; that's probably a lowball). He threw some bad interceptions and came back gunning em like nothing happened, he has a little young Brett Favre in him...

The League is in great hands with their young quarterbacks. Watson is going to be better than everybody drafted in the last four drafts--book it. 10-12 years from now we're going to be affirming him as one of the greatest to ever play the position. This kid has no fear. There's a lot of work to be done but you can't look at this guy and think he won't get there sooner than later. He's the whole package and I can't wait to see that inevitable championship parade for the Texans...

Wentz is going to be up there, too. I can't wait to watch these two in their few interconference battles over the years, and something is telling me we could get a Wentz/Watson Super Bowl at some point...

Old 10-30-2017, 09:04 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Murksiderock makes a good point regarding young NFL quarterbacks. It was just a couple years ago that the NFL was wondering what was coming down the line as Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees were getting up there in years and wondering about the new quarterbacks just coming up. Included are Eli Manning who is 36. Ben Roethlisberger is 35.

Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott, Derek Carr, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, and Deshaun Watson all have bright futures.

Watson and another young quarterback by the name of Russell Wilson went bonkers yesterday for a combined total of 854 yards, with Watson coming in with 402.

Give these guys a supporting cast, particularly a strong 0-line so they can stay healthy. Derek Carr is already getting dinged a tad.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-30-2017 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: addition, spelling

Old 10-31-2017, 07:24 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,079,169 times
He has rejuvenated my fantasy team......I'm on the upswing now!

Old 11-02-2017, 02:55 PM

I am hearing rumblings that he may have torn his ACL in practice today. Don't take this as gospel.. It's not really coming from confirmed sources yet.

Ok.. It's starting to get confirmed.. Not that it's torn.. But that there was an injury of some kind.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/2/1...orn-acl-texans

The million dollar question is.. Which one? Left or right.. He tore his left one in 2014.. It'd probably be far worse to have a second tear on the same side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football