Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 08:38 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The Miami Dolphins need to look themselves in the mirror. They continue to play mediocre at best, and change general managers and head coaches every two, three, or four years. If they do not start trending upward, general manager Chris Grier and head coach Adam Gase should find employment elsewhere, and football operations should start on a clean slate.
Too soon to rep you again, but I have been saying that for years.....actually decades, since they let Nick Saban walk.
I mean, this is a franchise with which even Bill Parcells grew frustrated and left. That says alot about the atmosphere in the organization

Consider this
Principal Owner, Stephen Ross, neither knows how to win, nor seems to care. Thanks to NFL Profit sharing, his team can go 4-12 and still turn a profit. And this goes back to Huzienga as well. Then there are the Minority Owners, which I cannot say whether they are part of the problem and if so, to what extent but it reads like a celebrity party list....
Gloria Estefan, ; Emilio Estefan, ; Marc Anthony, ; Venus Williams, ; Serena Williams, Fergie, .

General Managers have been a running ongoing JOKE Without a punchline. And not even close to being funny, except to the other 31 teams. It is the habit of the owner that when something does not work, then he fires everyone and hires another inexperienced, available flunkie to try something different. And this goes on and on and on.

WELL That is NOT how to win in the NFL

First, personnel need to have some degree of football savvy, like Belichick. Second, as former NFL Player and attorney Tim Green in his book Dark SIde of the NFL Sums it up
"To win, you must have a coach, a GM and an owner who are on the same page. "

I would point out that in ANY business, you must have a business plan with a long term goal, and then stick to it.
MY FINZ certainly do not seem to do the later and doubtfully have the former

Much as I hated the Cowboys, Jimmy Johnson had a plan and he stuck to it. Got himself a few rings before the owner and he parted ways. The team has not seen gold since and will likely finish 8-8 this year... Having someone in charge who can stick with a plan works.

The other thing is turnover. In baseball, the TWINS have the lowest turnover, they have not had a pennant in a while but they have a few. And they are a successful small market team. They always focused on keeping the behind the scenes people long term. Lesson is, when you get people groom them to be part of your team, make them WANT to be part of your team. If you ever get the chance to attend a lecture or talk by Former Twins manager Tom Kelly, this guy is worth the price of admission and as a businessman, he is worth his weight in gold. It does not mater what business you are running, this guy is a great speaker, a great planner and motivator and teaches solid business principals

The Dolphins Could be a better team, but many mistakes have been made

First, stop playing the free agent market like it is fantasy football. Just because someone excelled on another team, does not mean they will with you. Stop wasting money on guys who will not contribute right away. Put your time and effort into coaching the players you have to play better.

Second, decide what type of play you want, what style of offense and defense and then find and groom players to fill that. Stick with it, and LEARN from mistakes. THis will translate into long term success

3 Build the following in order In offense, build the five best offensive linemen available. Second a good running back will score points. Third, the QB is the most important man, so hold out until you find the right one. When you have a good Line and a good RB, suddenly guys like Ryan Tannehill will look a whole lot better. Finally, acquire your passing targets. Receivers are still a dime a dozen.

On Defense, consider the most common use of player. Will the majority of division opponents slant towards run or passing? Just as you did with the offense, build your DL with depth, including edge rushers first. Then find the best Cover corners, ones who can intercept and shut down the opponents. LB is one area where I would consider a veteran free agent who has the right good attitude to make a positive impact on the younger guys.

Finally, take a lesson from Belichick. Hold people accountable. There are hundreds, if not thousands of guys in colleges and semi pro teams who would love to work in the NFL If someone does not want to contribute, show him to the door.

For MY FINZ The offense is a quick fix. 4 new linemen, with two from free agency, I already have them picked out.* Tannehill will be all pro, rarely sacked and never hurt.

BUT for any of this to happen, ownership and management has to care, has to get on the same page, and has to figure things out.

Personally, I see someone who gets a $ million or so for losing, that really sucks.

*Free Agents
Jonathon Cooper
Josh Kline

Draft Mike McGlichy
Orlando Brown or Connor Davis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 09:50 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Last week: 7-8
Overall: 57-49

Miami @ Baltimore. I was just about to pick the Dolphins because of how awful the Ravens have looked on offense this year, and coming off the 38-7 shellacking the Dolphins took at home against the Ravens last year I figure the Dolphins were due to bounce back, but then I came across this stat earlier today: The Ravens under Harbough and Flacco are 10-1 at home in primetime, nationally televised games. Give me that stat.

Cleveland vs. Minnesota (in London). This is the equivalent of the English Premier League sending Everton & Southampton to play over in the New York.
Oakland @ Buffalo. I'll take the Bills at home.
Indianapolis @ Cincinnati. Can I pick a 0-0 tie??
LA Chargers @ New England. The homeless Chargers have been playing teams close in recent weeks, but that should come to a crashing halt.
Chicago @ New Orleans. Saints continue to roll
Atlanta @ NY Jets. For the first 3 weeks the Falcons were the best team in football, for the last 5 weeks they look worse than the Browns (I think even the Brownies would have given the Patriots a better game last week). The Jets for the first 2 weeks were on track for that #1 and pick of the USC/UCLA QB but for the last 6 weeks actually look like a respectable team. I'll take the team that's actually playing well, plus it looks like it's going to be monsoon-like conditions in New York tomorrow so I'll take the team that actually plays their games outside in that element
San Francisco @ Philly. This would have been close even without Peter's and Nick's season ending injury, but the Eagles are 6-1 for a reason....and the Niners are 0-7 for a reason....main reason why is because they can't close out close games. This looks to be another close games and the Niners will find another creative way to lose.
Carolina @ Tampa Bay. Can the real Panthers please stand up??
Houston @ Seattle. Tough environment for Watson to step into to. This will definitely be a test for him.
Dallas @ Washington. Over/under week 7 of the 2023 season before Zeke Elliot finally gets his 6 game suspension?? These things are a joke! Just get it over with already. Even Cowboys fans want the suspension out of the way because they know the team isn't very good this year, so let's get it out of the way, punt this year, and come back for 2018.

Pittsburgh @ Detroit. Another game I have no idea. I'll take Lions at home as hopefully the primadonna Bryant derails the Steelers season.

Denver @ Kansas City. Both teams are struggling, Chiefs at home for the bounce back.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:12 PM

5,177 posts, read 6,136,412 times
Baltimore WON

Minnesota
Buffalo
Cincinnati
New England.
New Orleans.
Atlanta
Philly.
Tampa Bay.
Seattle.
Dallas
Pittsburgh
Kansas City

Last week 12-3
So far 61-46........I think my Yahoo group is already counting this weeks Baltimore pick!

Old 10-28-2017, 04:43 PM

807 posts, read 689,593 times
MIA AT BAL - MIA (picked earlier this week)
MIN AT CLE - MIN
CHI AT NO - NO
ATL AT NYJ - NYJ
CAR AT TB - TB
SF AT PHI - PHI
OAK AT BUF - OAK
IND AT CIN - CIN
LAC AT NE - NE
HOU AT SEA - SEA
DAL AT WAS - DAL
PIT AT DET - PIT
DEN AT KC - KC

Old 10-28-2017, 08:36 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times
22-2

22 CDers have picked K.C over Denver Monday Night. Only IXCell and myself have been foolish enough so far to take the Broncos.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:51 AM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
22-2

22 CDers have picked K.C over Denver Monday Night. Only IXCell and myself have been foolish enough so far to take the Broncos.
In my $$ pool only 13 out of 134 players took Denver this week. Interestingly, both your assessment and mine show roughly 9% for those picking Denver.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:22 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
22-2

I hope you’re the only right ones!

Old 10-29-2017, 10:48 AM

Cleveland was actually playing a competitive game up until the 4th quarter. Then someone in the huddle must of brought it to the teams attention that they were playing far above their expectation levels and they needed to tone it down a little.....

Old 10-29-2017, 11:06 AM

Ok, rant coming....

I was really hoping to watch the Raiders-Bills match up on CBS. CBS always plays the Raiders games in my area. But no, not this morning. Instead, they choose to show "paid programming", aka infomercials for three hours.

If the Raiders were playing anyone other than the Bills, the game would surely be televised. Unfreakin believable! Thank God for Red Zone.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:15 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Ok, rant coming....

I was really hoping to watch the Raiders-Bills match up on CBS. CBS always plays the Raiders games in my area. But no, not this morning. Instead, they choose to show "paid programming", aka infomercials for three hours.

If the Raiders were playing anyone other than the Bills, the game would surely be televised. Unfreakin believable! Thank God for Red Zone.
Is it blacked out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football