U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 04:33 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,306,823 times

Advertisements

Our guy Gene Deckerhoff gets all the players' names wrong....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 05:23 PM

16,540 posts, read 21,029,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES67 View Post
Back in the day Jack Buck and Hank Stram doing Monday Night Football. A good option if you weren't around a tv.
An excellent option! In my construction power plant years I listened to a lot of games on CBS radio with the two. Buck goes back to 1960 broadcasting AFL games for ABC, then switched to CBS several years later. Jack Buck was a pure professional in every sense of the word. Stram complimented him perfectly with his football knowledge.

With the World Series going on, I can still hear Jack Buck's voice as he was doing the call on Mutual radio network for the 1988 series-game one with Kurt Gibson hitting that home run off Dennis Eckersley. And Buck's voice saying.

"I don't believe what I just saw!"
"I DON"T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW!"

If there was a Mount Rushmore for radio broadcasters, Jack Buck should be on it!

Old 10-30-2017, 03:25 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,306,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES67 View Post
Back in the day Jack Buck and Hank Stram doing Monday Night Football. A good option if you weren't around a tv.
I lived a lot of years overseas and relied on Armed Forces Radio Network for most of my sports and listened to those two a lot and agree......Stram was a favorite as the Chiefs were my favorite team for some reason as a kid (never lived in KC, just picked them and followed them Len Dawson, Otis Taylor, Willie Lanier days).

Old 10-30-2017, 09:06 AM

9,489 posts, read 7,163,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
18, I remember back in the mid 8os, my dad would watch Redskin games on TV with the volume off. Then he'd set the radio next to the TV with the Jurgensen radio broadcast on. That way he'd have the visual + the entertaining homer call.

Last few years, I've been listening to Monday night games on my commute, I like Esiason & James Lofton..
WMAL used to advertise that back when they had the games.. turn your TV down and your radio up.

I listen to the broadcasts on SiriusXM as we only get Redskins games here when it's a national broadcast. Panthers are the #1, followed by the Falcons and CBS usually shows the Steelers.

Sonny sounds bad this year. I have no doubts this is his final year. He's still sharp, unlike Sam Huff in his final years.. But he sounds just awful.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:12 PM

102 posts, read 45,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I lived a lot of years overseas and relied on Armed Forces Radio Network for most of my sports and listened to those two a lot and agree......Stram was a favorite as the Chiefs were my favorite team for some reason as a kid (never lived in KC, just picked them and followed them Len Dawson, Otis Taylor, Willie Lanier days).
They won a Super Bowl with that bunch. They're playing well tonight so far except for that interception, many think that this will be their year.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:14 PM

102 posts, read 45,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
An excellent option! In my construction power plant years I listened to a lot of games on CBS radio with the two. Buck goes back to 1960 broadcasting AFL games for ABC, then switched to CBS several years later. Jack Buck was a pure professional in every sense of the word. Stram complimented him perfectly with his football knowledge.

With the World Series going on, I can still hear Jack Buck's voice as he was doing the call on Mutual radio network for the 1988 series-game one with Kurt Gibson hitting that home run off Dennis Eckersley. And Buck's voice saying.

"I don't believe what I just saw!"
"I DON"T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW!"

If there was a Mount Rushmore for radio broadcasters, Jack Buck should be on it!
There was great chemistry between Jack Buck and Hank Stram, enjoyed many of their broadcasts. When I had to run errands or whatnot, listening to them on the radio was always a pleasure. I agree on your Mount Rushmore comment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football