U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 11:04 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,257,613 times

Advertisements

Who is your favorite radio announcer, excluding national radio.

My favorite are Wayne Larrivee and Larry McCarren. I also enjoy listening to Dan Miller and Jim Brandstatter for the Lions Radio Network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 03:55 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
they're all homers, cheerleaders

http://awfulannouncing.com/the-locke...-comeback.html

Old 10-27-2017, 09:55 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
The Vikings have the worst play-by-play announcer (Buddy McButtface or something) in existence, constantly misidentifying players, fails to accurately announce yard lines, downs/yards-to-go. Has the innate ability of failing to convey what is happening on the field for large segments of time. He seems to only keep his job because of one goofy catch phrase; "and he's LOOSE!". He's been doing this for years and will never measure up to even a competent level and we are left waiting for his radio station to lose the broadcast rights in order to get someone to replace this clown.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:06 AM

6,557 posts, read 10,261,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Greg Papa (Raiders) and Mitch Holthus (Chiefs) are terrible. Their touchdown calls are like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I'm not a Cowboys fan, but I like how Brad Sham calls games.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:09 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
we are probably mostly homers with the exception of national announcers probably difficult to make any real comparisons

Old 10-27-2017, 12:28 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,257,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The Vikings have the worst play-by-play announcer (Buddy McButtface or something) in existence, constantly misidentifying players, fails to accurately announce yard lines, downs/yards-to-go. Has the innate ability of failing to convey what is happening on the field for large segments of time. He seems to only keep his job because of one goofy catch phrase; "and he's LOOSE!". He's been doing this for years and will never measure up to even a competent level and we are left waiting for his radio station to lose the broadcast rights in order to get someone to replace this clown.
I'm not a fan of Paul Allen. He's pretty annoying.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:07 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I'm not a fan of Paul Allen. He's pretty annoying.
I had to look it up, this is now his 16th season...I'm stunned, stunned I tell ya.

We had Ray Scott for a few years back in the late 70's after his stint with the Packers, CBS and many other teams too. I recalled Scott being really good but he sure jumped around a lot for some reason.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:21 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Way back in the day.. Any Redskins fan will tell you the team of Sonny Jurgensen, Sam Huff and Frank Herzog were the absolute best.

Sam's retired and was replaced by Chris Cooley (meh).. Frank was fired for Larry Michael (yuck) and Sonny moved this year to only working home games, which is what Sam did a year or so before he hung it up.

While they were all homers, none of them pulled any punches and would call a bad play just that, no matter which team did it.. Frank's simple call of "Touchdown! Washington Redskins" can still be heard on many NFL Films programs.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:47 AM

1,578 posts, read 982,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Any Redskins fan will tell you the team of Sonny Jurgensen, Sam Huff and Frank Herzog were the absolute best..
18, I remember back in the mid 8os, my dad would watch Redskin games on TV with the volume off. Then he'd set the radio next to the TV with the Jurgensen radio broadcast on. That way he'd have the visual + the entertaining homer call.

Last few years, I've been listening to Monday night games on my commute, I like Esiason & James Lofton..

Old 10-29-2017, 08:56 AM

102 posts, read 45,219 times
Back in the day Jack Buck and Hank Stram doing Monday Night Football. A good option if you weren't around a tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football