U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2018, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,631 posts, read 4,229,357 times
Reputation: 4583

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No he isn't!


Paul Brown

Forrest Gregg

Sam Wyche
Obviously those 3 have an argument, being the ONLY 3 coaches aside from Lewis to lead the Bengals to a playoff appearance, but going strictly on number of games won and playoff appearances.. Lewis is tops..

Paul Brown (8 seasons) won 55 games.. made the playoffs 3 times.. no playoff wins
Forrest Gregg (4 seasons) won 57 games.. made the playoffs twice.. lost Super Bowl XVI
Sam Wyche (8 seasons) won 61 games.. made the playoffs twice.. lost Super Bowl XXIII

Marvin Lewis (15 seasons) won 125 games... made the playoffs 7 times.. no playoff wins.
In 5 less seasons, Lewis has led the Bengals to as many playoff appearances as the 3 other coaches combined.. The Bengals went to the playoffs 7 times in 35 years... Lewis has led them to the playoffs 7 times in the past 15 years... its seems obvious to me... but I guess its semantics.. some would consider a SB appearance far better than multiple playoff appearances and i don't necessarily disagree... but IMO, Lewis is the best coach they have ever had..

I remember both those SB games and both were close, could have gone either way.. but i also remember those Bengal teams were a flash in the pan.. not very good before or after... take it for what its worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2018, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,244,921 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Obviously those 3 have an argument, being the ONLY 3 coaches aside from Lewis to lead the Bengals to a playoff appearance, but going strictly on number of games won and playoff appearances.. Lewis is tops..

Paul Brown (8 seasons) won 55 games.. made the playoffs 3 times.. no playoff wins
Forrest Gregg (4 seasons) won 57 games.. made the playoffs twice.. lost Super Bowl XVI
Sam Wyche (8 seasons) won 61 games.. made the playoffs twice.. lost Super Bowl XXIII

Marvin Lewis (15 seasons) won 125 games... made the playoffs 7 times.. no playoff wins.
In 5 less seasons, Lewis has led the Bengals to as many playoff appearances as the 3 other coaches combined.. The Bengals went to the playoffs 7 times in 35 years... Lewis has led them to the playoffs 7 times in the past 15 years... its seems obvious to me... but I guess its semantics.. some would consider a SB appearance far better than multiple playoff appearances and i don't necessarily disagree... but IMO, Lewis is the best coach they have ever had..

I remember both those SB games and both were close, could have gone either way.. but i also remember those Bengal teams were a flash in the pan.. not very good before or after... take it for what its worth.
Interesting. Couldn't rep you. My team Bucs won SB then has been pretty crappy for nearly 15 yrs. Not sure I wouldn't give up that SB for year after year playoff seasons with losses. It has been miserable spending time, energy going to hot humid Bucs' games to watch them lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,631 posts, read 4,229,357 times
Reputation: 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Interesting. Couldn't rep you. My team Bucs won SB then has been pretty crappy for nearly 15 yrs. Not sure I wouldn't give up that SB for year after year playoff seasons with losses. It has been miserable spending time, energy going to hot humid Bucs' games to watch them lose.
I doubt i would give up any of the SB titles my team has won for anything in the world but after a while (decades) of tasting little if any success tends to make you forget how sweet those SB wins were...

I think that suffering through lean years makes a SB all the sweeter. I have some dear Patriots fans that were patriots back in the Jim Plunket or Steve Grogan era... they suffered for a long time with only bits and pieces of success...they have earned the sweet taste of a Dynasty... but of course they know that any day now they could be back in those lean times.. and in fact they know its coming.. sooner or later...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,244,921 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
any day now they could be back in those lean times.. and in fact they know its coming.. sooner or later...
the sooner the better - time for other teams (and their longtime faithful fans) to have a taste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 02:51 PM
 
Location: sumter
8,602 posts, read 5,399,513 times
Reputation: 6618
I want #7 for the Steelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 05:48 PM
 
4,988 posts, read 11,066,062 times
Reputation: 11870
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Is Andrew Luck going to be healthy, key question, QBs matter. Detroit with Stafford is good, too.
I think those are the top 2 as well. I think Detroit has more overall talent and only needs a couple of key pieces like a big time RB to put them over the top.

I do worry that Luck will never be the same following the shoulder issues and I think ownership/front office in Indy is more of an issue than in Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2018, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,244,921 times
Reputation: 14611
Raiders plan to introduce Jon Gruden as head coach - NFL.com 10 yr $100 mil. Coordinators get 4 yr contracts.

Last edited by BucFan; 01-05-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2018, 12:07 PM
 
929 posts, read 297,657 times
Reputation: 799
So now that it's official, is everyone just assuming this guy is a great head coach and will take the Raiders to that next level? I almost have put Gruden in that class with the likes of Steve Spurrier, i.e. "I don't get it". He had excellent talent at Oakland and Tampa. He got the job at Tampa because it was felt Tony Dungy didn't have enough offensive ingenious know-how to get Tampa over the hump. So Gruden wins a SB his first year with one of the great defenses ever. The next season was a flop with some real bad losses (including the miracle Peyton Manning comeback game on MNF). What was it thereafter? One wildcard appearance all those remaining seasons? Finally was fired when players weren't happy and when he seemingly always had a free pass- so much so, there were no rumors that he was even on the hot seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2018, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Bellmawr, New Jersey
272 posts, read 115,941 times
Reputation: 223
Maybe an unpopular opinion but to me, Mike McCarthy isn't a good coach. Surprised he is still in GB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2018, 12:25 PM
 
929 posts, read 297,657 times
Reputation: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
What was it thereafter? One wildcard appearance all those remaining seasons? Finally was fired when players weren't happy and when he seemingly always had a free pass- so much so, there were no rumors that he was even on the hot seat.
Verified that it was 2 wildcard round losses after the 2002 title, until Gruden was let go after the 2008 campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top