U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 07:39 AM

4,235 posts, read 2,861,776 times

Advertisements

Del Rio should be on the hot seat...

I was not a fan of the Vance Joseph hire and he's proving me right by the week. This guy is garbage, but more importantly, it's really time to put Elway under a microscope for the roster he's put together. He and Kuniak were the beneficiaries of Manning and receive a lot of credit for things that could not have happened without Manning. The offense is horrible and has been horrible and the fact he can't keep a coach is troublesome. True, Kubiak's departure is out of his hands and Kubiak was a good coach--I wouldn't call him great, he spent nine years or so in Houston that proved to us he wasn't a GREAT coach, just like his predecessor Fox. Beneficiary of Manning...

Then Elway picks this Joseph guy, this is just all bad. The guy does not know how to hire coaches, seems to be anemic to building a competent offense, and things are getting worse...

Pagano should have been fired after 2015, and Irsay should fire himself...

Another average coach in Detroit should be looked at. Hue Jackson is not the guy in Cleveland. I don't know who is, and I agree it's not completely his fault, but Jackson is not head coach material...

Lewis has overstayed his tenure by a minimum of three years, probably four or five. The writings were on the wall with this guy years ago. Good coach, but how many first round exits do you need before making a change? The front office is weak...

Was not a fan of the Dirk Koetter hire. Get that guy outta here now, he's clearly in over his head. Might as well begin looking for a quarterback too, put some pressure on Winston, because there years in, he's regressing, which is a horrible sign. His best year was his rookie year and he's regressed each of the last two years. Not a good sign and unless mediocrity is acceptable, you have to admit he's not growing how you wish he was. They are going to have a high draft pick. Look for a quarterback and fire the coach!

This is going to be three straight years Baltimore misses the postseason. That is an elite organization and I think they have to at least begin looking for a HC alternative before they nosedive...

Wasn't a fan of Bowles but I'm damn impressed with his job this year. And Gruden is not a bad coach, he's actually proving otherwise. He needs consistency at the skill positions to accentuate his acumen as a coach...

Get McAdoo outta there on the same train as Koetter and Joseph and Jackson and Lewis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 08:34 AM

6,556 posts, read 4,517,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
As a Giants fan, let me add Ben McAdoo to the list. During the off week, there was discussion that he was losing or had lost the locker room. That performance against the Rams suggests that he might have. From an owner's perspective, that might have been a scorched earth game, in which everything must be burned to the ground now--coach, GM, turf crew, blimp guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Is this all on McAdoo or are there deeper issues? They made the playoffs last year, have injury issues this year, should he have kept the play calling? I'm not up to speed on what is going on really.
From what I can tell McAdoo seems completely in over his head as a head coach. he should go back to being an offensive coordinator for some team.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:44 AM

19,995 posts, read 19,049,129 times
The Giants' issues going into 2018 will be more than coaching. Eli Manning is not getting younger, and the window of opportunity to win with him is closing.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:52 AM

929 posts, read 299,163 times
Bill O'Brien; stagnant franchise and a beneficiary of playing in a horrid division for so many years. Watson or no Watson, the Texans never show any improvement in the wins column.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:45 AM

602 posts, read 330,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Todd Bowles has done more to extricate himself from the hot seat than any other coach. The Jets were being predicted to win 2 or 3 games all season long, they've somehow managed to not be terrible and even play well most of the season despite all the roster turnover. If anything he's showing himself to be a good head coach by keeping things together over there, especially with 38 year old Josh McCown at QB and a bunch of rubbish at WR on the team.

No way can you fire that guy after he pulled that team together, and if they did, someone else would be offering him a HC job PDQ.

Todd Bowles is the right man to be in charge of Jets

Firing Bowles at this point would be idiotic, even by usual Jets standards.
The 1st season with Bowles, the Jets would be in the playoffs if not for Fitzmagic against Rex Ryan's D in Bills.

2nd season - Marshall showed us what he's really worth. I would never sign him as a player because he's the ultimate curse in the NFL as he never went to the playoffs in his entire career. Other players added to the dysfunction (Sheldon Richardson).

3rd season - No expectations. Got rid of the trash from last season. Playing together and for each other.

I hope he has a few seasons left before a decision is made on him. The jets now need a better wr core, a better o-line like years ago, a bellcow at rb, a shutdown corner before they make a decision on qb. There's several qbs that will be available next season so they don't need to draft one like kurt cousins, alex smith, etc.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:31 PM

252 posts, read 387,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The Giants' issues going into 2018 will be more than coaching. Eli Manning is not getting younger, and the window of opportunity to win with him is closing.
With the excellent draft position, I hope Giants take Rosen. address the O-Line and LB which are immediate requirements. Release Marshall and maybe picking up a WR in free agency or draft one in the 2nd round.

Once we address the LT position and LB we can be a strong contender. With so many weapons for Eli with proper protection and an improved run game, we can make NFC East more interesting.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:59 PM

4,492 posts, read 3,170,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Bill O'Brien; stagnant franchise and a beneficiary of playing in a horrid division for so many years. Watson or no Watson, the Texans never show any improvement in the wins column.
QB and injuries have killed the franchise. Watt just can't stay healthy, which does diminish their defensive front. Having a carousel of QB's doesn't help the situation either. Watson kept them in some shootouts; however, the injuries to JJ and Whitney have killed them on defense. Now you're back to Savage who can't keep the offense on the field. If I was Hopkins or Fuller, I'd be looking to be traded. I'd argue QB selection and defensive injuries have really handicapped this team. Watson could have likely kept this team out of the grave and relatively respectable, even if they continued to lose games. He was exciting in that regard. However, with his ACL injury, along with the defense, and Savage taking snap from center, this team is just a dumpster fire. I like O'Brien, but he's never had a healthy product from start to finish. They may be at a point to where they have to start looking at life without Watt and wishing him the best in his football journey.

I'm starting to question the same thing with Luck in Indy.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:49 PM

23,668 posts, read 33,529,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
How many members of the Giants' coaching staff are holdovers from Coughlin's tenure?
I don't remember anyone else other than Coughlin getting fires. Coughlins time was up, but the Giants should have embraced a full rebuild IMO and cleaned house, Manning included.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:19 PM

3,965 posts, read 2,520,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Is this all on McAdoo or are there deeper issues? They made the playoffs last year, have injury issues this year, should he have kept the play calling? I'm not up to speed on what is going on really.
I do think there are several issues, but after that performance against the Rams--where guys look like they quit--that is the kind of game that leads to a regime change.

I dont think this is all on McAdoo, although I thought he was doing a terrible job when he was calling plays. But Jerry Reese, the GM, has to be called to the carpet as well for gambling on an offensive line that has been below average at best. You cant do anything without at least an average line, and Reese made no reasonable upgrades--to a part of the team that everyone knew was a weakness.

The defense has regressed, and that goes to--coaching, perhaps?

My point really is, after this past Sunday, ownership is probably going to take a long and hard look at tearing it all down.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:13 AM

23,668 posts, read 33,529,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I do think there are several issues, but after that performance against the Rams--where guys look like they quit--that is the kind of game that leads to a regime change.

I dont think this is all on McAdoo, although I thought he was doing a terrible job when he was calling plays. But Jerry Reese, the GM, has to be called to the carpet as well for gambling on an offensive line that has been below average at best. You cant do anything without at least an average line, and Reese made no reasonable upgrades--to a part of the team that everyone knew was a weakness.

The defense has regressed, and that goes to--coaching, perhaps?

My point really is, after this past Sunday, ownership is probably going to take a long and hard look at tearing it all down.
I agree, the Giants quit and once that happens, the players have made clear they have no regard for the coach and that is when ownership has to really raise hell to change things. The Jets did this by getting rid of several veterans in the off-season. In the Giants case, you have a GM who neglected his O-Line, a head coach who is clearly in over his head, and a QB nearing the end of his useful career who is not content getting himself killed behind this mess. I think all three have to go after this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football